Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently received a conditional offer from the University of Chester for BA (Hons) English and English Language. The offer is on condition of me achieving a B and a C in Film Studies and Law in any order. I currently have a D in Law and I am fast tracking Film. The course states they would like 240 UCAS points but a B and a C combined with my grades I have already would equal 340 points.
    Why have they done this and will there be any leeway when trying to gain these results?
    Many Thanks
    Liam

ReputationRep:
    sorry, make it clearer - have you finished your A-levels now or are you currently doing A2?

ReputationRep:
    As it says...

I have recently received a conditional offer from the University of Chester for BA (Hons) English and English Language. The offer is on condition of me achieving a B and a C in Film Studies and Law in any order.

One would assume this means that I am still studying.

But I have achieved a B in English Lit and Lang and a D in Business Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamwiddows)
    As it says...

I have recently received a conditional offer from the University of Chester for BA (Hons) English and English Language. The offer is on condition of me achieving a B and a C in Film Studies and Law in any order.

One would assume this means that I am still studying.

But I have achieved a B in English Lit and Lang and a D in Business Studies
    have you continued all four of these in to A2?

ReputationRep:
    The B in English Lit and Lang and a D in Business Studies are completed A-Levels. I have completed the A2's. Law is an A2 and Film is fast track.

ReputationRep:
    The B in English Lit and Lang and a D in Business Studies are completed A-Levels. I have completed the A2's. Law is an A2 and Film is fast track.
    Why have they done this and will there be any leeway when trying to gain these results?
    I'm not too sure what you're asking then, by the sounds of it you've got more points than they will be asking for so I don't know why you are worrying about leeway etc.

Your film fast track, will that culminate in a finished A2 or an AS?

ReputationRep:
    If it says you need a B and C then that's what you need. I have no idea about leeway though :s you could call them up and ask. I dont know why they would give you a higher offer but they do sometimes if the application rate was very high/ if other parts of your application were weaker, once again you could call them, or email and ask directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    I'm not too sure what you're asking then, by the sounds of it you've got more points than they will be asking for so I don't know why you are worrying about leeway etc.

Your film fast track, will that culminate in a finished A2 or an AS?
    Film studies fast track means both AS and A2 in one year. So it'll be an A2.
    I'm wondering why they are asking for a B and a C when my overall points would equal 340 points for a course that requires 240?
    And btw i'm not being rude to you. I see you're helping.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering why they are asking for a B and a C when my overall points would equal 340 points for a course that requires 240?
    You won't have 340 points by the way; a B in English Lit and Lang has got you 100, so an added B and C in film and law would turn that to 280. Your previous D in Law doesn't count at all. I'd guess then that Chester have had a high number of applicants and have decided to make their entry levels higher. Basically, you need BBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    You won't have 340 points by the way; a B in English Lit and Lang has got you 100, so an added B and C in film and law would turn that to 280. Your previous D in Law doesn't count at all. I'd guess then that Chester have had a high number of applicants and have decided to make their entry levels higher. Basically, you need BBC.
    I have an A2 in Business aswell. Another 60 points added to 280 is 340.

ReputationRep:
    They are merely applying some minimum standards. You will have achieved your points with some low-ish grades (BBCD) in four A levels, three of which are not normally seen to be of great academic merit and only one of which seems relevant to the course you wish to study. It prevents you from simply accumulating points in lots of low-grade, low-relevance subjects.

ReputationRep:
    The rather simple answer is that you haven't achieved them all in one sitting. You may get slightly more leeway if you don't quite meet the offer, they might go harsher on you, who knows. Just do your best to meet the BC offer.

ReputationRep:
    I have an A2 in Business aswell. Another 60 points added to 280 is 340.
    Yeah but from their point of view, they don't want someone (not trying to be offensive) that has 340 from average grades just because they have done more subjects than average. They'll want to know you are suitable for the course so my point still remains, they want you to get a B in Eng Lit and Lang (which you already have), and a B and C in Law and Film.

If you've still got an worries, ring the university up, it can't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    Universities generally like you to have done your exams all in one year. Since yours aren't all in one sitting they are giving you a target of a B and a C to check that you can cope with the university work load.

The minimum entry requirement on websites etc is just that, a minimum requirement and a typical offer is based on an average candidate who would have done AS and GCSEs in the "normal" time period. Since you are an atypical candidate they can ask you to get whatever they want which is, apparently, BC in Law and Film. By the sounds of things they want the grades, not the points equivalent.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.