Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I realise that many of the most prominent bar posters seem to have left the building over the last year, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I'm looking to take a gap year pre-BVC, to allow me 2 cracks at pupillage applications before committing to the BVC and its inherent costs.

In terms of a gap year what do you think would be applicable from the perspective of hoping to join a common law set?

Basically, I'm not sure what value the typical actvities (Amicus, UN, EU, various war crimes tribunals etc) add to this sort of application. [As opposed to criminal / human rights sets where they are certainly applicable].

I realise that the Law Comission would be suitable, but this is unavailable to me as I didn't do law at undergraduate. Are there any similar options available to me.

In summary, I don't want to be saying [in effect]: 'My daddy is rich so luckily I could afford to dance around the globe for a year doing interesting things.' I feel it would be more impressive to spend a year really demonstrating an interest in / aptitude for a certain area of the law.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You could do loads of FRU cases. most people only do 1 or 2 but if you had time you coud do lots and move onto more difficult ones and i think that would stand out. That's what I would do anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.