Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I realise that many of the most prominent bar posters seem to have left the building over the last year, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I'm looking to take a gap year pre-BVC, to allow me 2 cracks at pupillage applications before committing to the BVC and its inherent costs.

In terms of a gap year what do you think would be applicable from the perspective of hoping to join a common law set?

Basically, I'm not sure what value the typical actvities (Amicus, UN, EU, various war crimes tribunals etc) add to this sort of application. [As opposed to criminal / human rights sets where they are certainly applicable].

I realise that the Law Comission would be suitable, but this is unavailable to me as I didn't do law at undergraduate. Are there any similar options available to me.

In summary, I don't want to be saying [in effect]: 'My daddy is rich so luckily I could afford to dance around the globe for a year doing interesting things.' I feel it would be more impressive to spend a year really demonstrating an interest in / aptitude for a certain area of the law.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You could do loads of FRU cases. most people only do 1 or 2 but if you had time you coud do lots and move onto more difficult ones and i think that would stand out. That's what I would do anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.