Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at going to Warwick Uni. Approximately the cost (living in halls) for shared bathrooms is about 70 a week and for ensuite is about 110, even more.

Most people say don't bother with en-suite cos its too expensive but its the only luxury I really need... will this take a lot out of my weekly budget? Will i have to live on 3p noodles?

Just wondering if someone could give me some pointers.

ReputationRep:
    not at warwick but definitely worth it

ReputationRep:
    For me, I had no choice. All the rooms where I am are en-suite and I'm paying 117 a week.

Is an extra 40 pound a week worth it? Sharing a bathroom isn't so bad, as long as you don't end up living with a bunch of lazy ******** who don't bother cleaning after they use it.

40 pound is alot when you are a student! Could be a couple of extra nights out a week! If I had the choice I would definitely chose to share, if it saved me a significant amount of money!

ReputationRep:
    I was gutted when I found I hadn't got an the room with en suite that I'd applied for at Manchester Uni... but it's really not a big deal at all. There's four of us sharing one toilet and one shower, and I've never ever needed to wait to use either of them (apart from the morning after heavy nights when 2 of us have needed to throw up...) En suites really aren't that vital to survival! I mean, it's not like I had one at home, and we managed ha

Also, 40 quid extra a week is a LOT of money....seriously, use your money elsewhere, food is more expensive that you think!

ReputationRep:
    For that price, I wouldn't say it was worth it. I do like having a bathroom of my at university as it's so much easier, but I'd rather have two more nights out a week than my own bathroom. You'll have to share a bathroom if you get a house with someone next year anyway, so it won't make much of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never pay £40 a week for an ensuite. Just think thats almost £6 less a day you could be spending on other stuff. Thats a good 2 or 3 pints per day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    You'll have to share a bathroom if you get a house with someone next year anyway, so it won't make much of a difference.
    I guess, but I wouldn't move into a house with a load of slobs I guess. Would just like a clean shower and toilet to use and not have to leave my room in the middle of the night to go!

Ps -Thanks for the advice guys.

ReputationRep:
    i liked it because i could watch telly whilst sitting on the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    I live in halls with a shared bathroom and I have never ever had an issue. I have had to queue for the shower probably once when we all went to the gym and came back at the same time. As for the toilet, how much time do you actually spend on it? Its totally not worth £40 a week to **** on your own private throne IMO.

When it comes to it you'll probably wish you could have that £40 instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    i liked it because i could watch telly whilst sitting on the toilet.
    Classy :p:

ReputationRep:
    £40 is a lot more money, yet it's only £110 for the en-suite and it is extremely beneficial to have your own toilet and shower in your own room, especially when you need to get to lectures or if you are ill etc.

I say £110 is worth an en-suite, but is it really worth £40 more than a standard? I'm not so sure...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at Warwick but £40 extra a week sounds like an awful lot. My budget is only £30 a week and I am in standard accommodation. I am mid-way through my second year of sharing and had no real problems and have just signed up to share again next year.

Ultimately, it is up to you to do your sums and work out your budget. Also consider where you will be living the following year - do you want to get used to having an ensuite if you will then be sharing in a house? If you can afford it and you want it, then go for it. If you can't afford it, then take the wise option and don't pick ensuite. [Personally, it bugs me when people have a choice and pick ensuite only to moan all year about having no money - some people can't avoid it I know, but if you can, then you should be mature enough to make the right choice and live with it without grumbling. ]

A £40 difference does seem like an awful lot for your own toilet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviti)
    I guess, but I wouldn't move into a house with a load of slobs I guess. Would just like a clean shower and toilet to use and not have to leave my room in the middle of the night to go!

Ps -Thanks for the advice guys.
    Non ensuites sometimes have sinks... im just saying. You dont have to leave your room or anything

Something that nobody has mentioned yet - Its possible that the ensuites are bigger rooms than the singles. Which is good for having people round etc. So the extra £40pw might not be just for the added shower and toilet it might be a better room aswell? You would have to ask to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    A £40 difference does seem like an awful lot for your own toilet...
    exactly, if you think about it...

http://www.bathsuperstore.com/bathro...-seat-754.html

It would pay for itself in a month :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    i'd say save the money.

but i do have an ensuite myself even though it was like choice 7 in my list of accomodation! it is damn usefull though, i could make do without, but like it is a really nice luxury.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Some places the en-suite's worth it, but my friend was in the cheaper £70 rooms at Warwick last year and they were really nice, depends on personal preference and funds though at the end of the day :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have an en suite :yep: Didnt have much choice in the matter though and rent is £127 a week

Although, judging by how dirty some of my flatmates leave our kitchen...I'm glad we don't share a bathroom :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have to share one bathroom with loads of people, it's really not that bad. We have 2 between 6 which is just about right. We also have a sink/mirror in our room. So I would find out if you get a sink/how many people you share with if you go shared, to decide.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wouldn't bother with having an ensuite. When you find that you've got to put down a deposit of say £300 on a house for next year and then realise that you're budget's been set too low you'll be completely screwed money-wise. Also, rememeber that you'll probably have to pay for your summer rent for the house you're renting in second year out of your first year loan. Save as much as you can!

Edit: Oh also, i shared 4 loos and 4 showers between 20 last year and it was absolutely fine. I never had to wait, it was never a mess and it was absolutely fine. I did have a sink in my room which was beneficial but i could have gone without to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    i love my ensuite room, when i get a house i want an ensuite! its a bit of a luxury though, not a neccessity. as most people said, unless you are in bog standard 30-people in a corridor, you usually only share with a max. of 4 people. that's not so bad really.

but it depends on your uni, what the standard accomodation is like etc. maybe if you are planning on moving out of halls in 2nd/3rd year, you could have ensuite halls for the first year? see what it's like... and then in 2nd/3rd year you'll save money by living in a house anyways.. so you could treat yourself to ensuite for the first year.

i love love love ensuite though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.