Turn on thread page Beta

En-suite... worth it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth it for Warwick. The £70 rooms (whitefiield, westwood, cryfield etc) rooms are very small, ang genrally aweful in terms of quality. On the other hand the ones in the higher price band (Lakeside, Arthurvick etc) are much better (even without considering the ensuite factor)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviti)
    I'm looking at going to Warwick Uni. Approximately the cost (living in halls) for shared bathrooms is about 70 a week and for ensuite is about 110, even more.

Most people say don't bother with en-suite cos its too expensive but its the only luxury I really need... will this take a lot out of my weekly budget? Will i have to live on 3p noodles?

Just wondering if someone could give me some pointers.
    Contradiction...

You don't need it unless you have medical reasons. I thought I needed it until I didn't have it one year and was fine. They cleaned the bathrooms 4 times a week and I never had to wait to use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviti)
    I'm looking at going to Warwick Uni. Approximately the cost (living in halls) for shared bathrooms is about 70 a week and for ensuite is about 110, even more.

Most people say don't bother with en-suite cos its too expensive but its the only luxury I really need... will this take a lot out of my weekly budget? Will i have to live on 3p noodles?

Just wondering if someone could give me some pointers.
    Definitely worth it, DEFINITELY. x

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about Warwick accommodation, but the general opinion among people I know is that it's not worth it unless you're getting a large loan, grant and bursary. I shared two bathrooms with four boys and two girls in my first year and I never had a problem.

Shared bathrooms are comedy gold.

ReputationRep:
    Eww definitely!

ReputationRep:
    Well for the year it works out as being about £2,000 more expensive. I'd rather have 2 grand than my own loo/shower for a year to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    I would

ReputationRep:
    Do you share a bathroom at home? Are you going to share a bathroom next year?

It's not worth it. I shared with 4 people in my first year and it was great, I never had to queue and it stops exam time being too anti-social. Plus, we had a blackboard in our bathroom and we used to leave each other notes that we wrote while we were *ahem* pooing. That was disgusting now that I think about it... Anyway, wouldn't you rather have two grand and a bedroom that doesn't smell of **** after a satisfying poo?

And once I got so drunk I had to phone someone to help me open the door, you can't get help opening an en suite door if it's behind your locked bedroom door, can you?

ReputationRep:
    FYI the noodles are 9p

ReputationRep:
    I loved having an ensuite at uni, but I must admit, that was partly because the kitchen was SO disgusting, I actually dread to think what the bathroom would be like if I'd had to share.

£40 IS an awful lot though. I always thought I'd be fine financially, but unless you're getting full loans/grants/bursaries, or your parents are willing to help, I'd rather the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special_K)
    I was gutted when I found I hadn't got an the room with en suite that I'd applied for at Manchester Uni... but it's really not a big deal at all. There's four of us sharing one toilet and one shower, and I've never ever needed to wait to use either of them (apart from the morning after heavy nights when 2 of us have needed to throw up...) En suites really aren't that vital to survival! I mean, it's not like I had one at home, and we managed ha

Also, 40 quid extra a week is a LOT of money....seriously, use your money elsewhere, food is more expensive that you think!
    Come on! Don't compare your home/family to people who have just moved out from their home, have probably never cleaned a toilet, are likely to be "pissed" every weekend..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Come on! Don't compare your home/family to people who have just moved out from their home, have probably never cleaned a toilet, are likely to be "pissed" every weekend..
    Well our toilet is fine, as it's cleaned at least once a week. If you'd read the rest of the post I explained that sharing a toilet is absolutely fine, as is sharing a shower.

And we generally get pissed during the week actually.

ReputationRep:
    Well our toilet is fine, as it's cleaned at least once a week. If you'd read the rest of the post I explained that sharing a toilet is absolutely fine, as is sharing a shower.

And we generally get pissed during the week actually.
    Ok, well maybe you're lucky then but often when people get pissed they vomit, even worse, because they're drunk they're likely to "miss" the toilet, and when they're drunk they're not going to get the toilet brush out to clean it up.. I'm not "dissing" you or anything, just saying..

ReputationRep:
    Depends if your rents are paying for it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well maybe you're lucky then but often when people get pissed they vomit, even worse, because they're drunk they're likely to "miss" the toilet, and when they're drunk they're not going to get the toilet brush out to clean it up.. I'm not "dissing" you or anything, just saying..
    Ha dissing, haven't heard that word in yeaaarss.

And no worries, you just came across as really rude ahah. And I see your point, i guess I have just been really lucky with flatmates. But my point was that even though i thought sharing would be terrible, it's been absolutely fine!

I can imagine it's harder for guys though... the guys in my flat share a bathroom and one guy pisses on the seat and never flushes the toilet.... and when their light broke he was using our toilet (even though the other guys still managed to pee in the dark) and pissed all over the seat so I was mean enough to get him upstairs to clean it...

Just depends who you're living with really, but most people are sort of considerate, so even if they do make a mess you can get them to clean it up.

ReputationRep:
    Ha dissing, haven't heard that word in yeaaarss.

And no worries, you just came across as really rude ahah. And I see your point, i guess I have just been really lucky with flatmates. But my point was that even though i thought sharing would be terrible, it's been absolutely fine!

I can imagine it's harder for guys though... the guys in my flat share a bathroom and one guy pisses on the seat and never flushes the toilet.... and when their light broke he was using our toilet (even though the other guys still managed to pee in the dark) and pissed all over the seat so I was mean enough to get him upstairs to clean it...

Just depends who you're living with really, but most people are sort of considerate, so even if they do make a mess you can get them to clean it up.
    Well if you're living with girls then that's that.. Boys are a LOT worse than girls.. are uni rooms usually all girls/all boys or? Would hate to share a bathroom with several other guys..

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're living with girls then that's that.. Boys are a LOT worse than girls.. are uni rooms usually all girls/all boys or? Would hate to share a bathroom with several other guys..
    It depends. My halls are split up into blocks and flats, so in my flat there are 4 girls and 4 guys, 2 floors, bathroom on each floor, girls are upstairs and boys are downstairs. But we share a kitchen.

BUT my friend's halls is literally a corridor with rooms coming off it, and a big bathroom at the end with like 8 toilets in and a shower room somewhere else.

I think most halls are mixed unless you specify you want to be with in single-sex halls.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would always go for ensuite. ALWAYS.

The very important pros to having an ensuite:

*You don't need to worry about anything to do with your little sink/shower/toilet. No one else is going to mess it up, unless you've let them in the first place.

*If you're ill, you don't need to worry about disturbing others. Or be embarrassed about it.

*If others are ill (or more likely just drunk/hungover) you do not need to deal with their vomit/piss or god knows what else in the bathroom.

*You don't have to put clothes on to go to the loo in the middle of the night.

*You don't know who you're going to live with in halls, so although you may end up with a clean bunch, it could also work the other way... getting a house in second year is differnt because you'll know the people then.

*You'll never need to wait to have a shower, go to the toilet, brush your teeth, put makeup on or anything you might need a bathroom for.

Cons:

*Is a lot of money that could be otherwise be spent on food/money/clothes/holiday etc

As I didn't spend a lot on drink, I was very willing to spend extra for my ensuite room last year. I do miss it, although at least now I live in a house of girls who are all very clean. Also bare in mind that you wont be paying rent for the whole year, only the uni year, so that extra cost wont be as much as you might pay for housing later on.

ReputationRep:
    £160 for me ensuite.
    I feel it is worth it personally. Partly convenience and partly privacy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.