Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I'm currently doing some revision for the Edexcel Unit 4 exam on Wednesday, but it's proving rather difficult to practice the numerical stuff seeing as the textbook provides questions, but no answers.

"The reaction CH3COOC2H5(l) +H2O(l) <-> CH3COOH(l) + C2H5OH(l) has a Kc value pf 0.25. 0.2 moles of CH3COOC2H5 is mixed with 0.6 moles of water in a stoppered bottle. The mixture is kept at 323K until equilibrium is reached. How many moles of ethanoic acid will be in the equilibrium mixture?"

I got 0.107 moles (3s.f.). Would anyone mind checking that for me please? I'd be really grateful.

(Or if anyone just happens to have a gigantic list of answers for the new Edexcel A2 book, that would also be incredible!!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting 0.173 ??

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well I'm glad I checked it here then!!

Did you form a quadratic, 0.75x^2+0.2x-0.03=0, or equivalent?

ReputationRep:
    K_c=\frac{\left[CH_3COOH\right]\left[C_2H_5OH\right]}{\left[CH_3COOC_2H_5\right]\left[H_2O\right]}

Or am I talking out of my arse?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, that's what I got.

I said, at equlibrium, there are (0.2-x) moles of the ester, (0.6-x) of water, x of the acid, and x of the alcohol.

So 0.25=(x^2)/((0.2-x)(0.6-x))?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes indeed you are correct.

0.75x^2+0.2x-0.03=0

Solve using formula.

=0.107 mol

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks. That's reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandardCarpet)
    Awesome, thanks. That's reassuring.
    No worries. Sorry for the ******** answer to begin with and taking ages to reply. Good luck with your exam.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2010

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.