The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I am starting at University of Liverpool 2010, applied for Mathematical Sciences with Foundation Year and received unconditional offer which I have accepted. There are options to switch course after the first year (or Year 0 as it is) so maybe think about joint honours then.

Been to university before so money is a bit tight for the first year, should be able to survive though.

Will be 44 by the start of term and giving up a reasonably paid job to do so. Reasonably paid but incredibly boring!

Looking forward to going now.
:cool:
Reply 101
Hello, very glad to see a few other artists here. I'm 36 and currently doing my Foundation Diploma. I've applied for BA Fine Art, mostly at unis around London/SE (where I live), so I can keep working part time. That's the plan anyway. :wink: I've got my first portfolio review and interview in two weeks...
Reply 102
After giving it some thought, I have decided to apply to five universities for this September (rather than 2011). I hope I am not too late! It took me ages to write up my personal statement.
Hey guys,

I'm Chris, I'm 27 and I've applied to study BSc Computer Science at Aston, Birmingham, Kings College London, Reading and Sussex. I spent the last year at Kent university studying foundation year Electronic Engineering. I didn't like Canterbury very much and found the course to have a great deal more maths involved than I expected, so I'm using the foundation year as an entry qualification (along with my previous National Diploma in Music Technology) to study elsewhere.

I've studied on a degree course 'proper' before, but I was too immature and short-sighted to knuckle down and finish it at the time. I'm kind of worried that I'm a bit old to be studying at undergraduate level now, like I've missed the boat and that getting a degree at the age of 30 will serve more as a consolation prize than something particularly beneficial to a career. I know there's more to university than the job prospects it may bring, but I've been unemployed for a long while now, and I've had a lot of concerned friends and family members worrying what I'm doing with my life. I'm hoping that a move to a new town or city for university will bring with it a lot more in the way of casual / part-time jobs, as there's not much available where I currently live in Essex.

I was wondering what other mature students do about finding accommodation when they move away for university. I don't fancy living in halls again, and houseshares in university towns can be hard to find.
Reply 104
Renegade82
Good Luck Lauren, and happy birthday!!!
(sorry not sure i've actually written this in right place):o:

Thanks - I had a lovely day! Just waiting for some news now!
Reply 105
roonerspism
I was wondering what other mature students do about finding accommodation when they move away for university. I don't fancy living in halls again, and houseshares in university towns can be hard to find.

Hi Chris. I usually e-mail the university themselves asking if they have or know of any accommodation that is suited towards mature students. Failing that I tend to look at house-sharing websites, more in advance the better.
Reply 106
eelong1
Hi everyone,

My name's Elizabeth, i'm 22 (just) and i've applied for Law LLB at Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter, Kings and Brunel. So far i've received an invitation for an interview for Manchester (February 26th) and conditional offers from Brunel and NOTTINGHAM!!! I still couldn't believe it when I got the email from Nottingham!!!!! Kings have only acknowledged me, and I feel like i've wasted an application with Kings because I really don't want to go, god knows why I applied?! :biggrin:

I'm really waiting on Manchester I guess because If i get in i'll have a hard time deciding whether to go to Notts or to Manchester!!

Is anyone else around the same age as me, moving into halls and really scared about living with 18/19yr olds? It's the scariest part of going to uni for me!!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting

xxx

Hi Elizabeth. That is pretty darn' cool! I like Manchester, such a vibrant city.
eelong1
Hi everyone,

My name's Elizabeth, i'm 22 (just) and i've applied for Law LLB at Nottingham, Manchester, Exeter, Kings and Brunel. So far i've received an invitation for an interview for Manchester (February 26th) and conditional offers from Brunel and NOTTINGHAM!!! I still couldn't believe it when I got the email from Nottingham!!!!! Kings have only acknowledged me, and I feel like i've wasted an application with Kings because I really don't want to go, god knows why I applied?! :biggrin:

I'm really waiting on Manchester I guess because If i get in i'll have a hard time deciding whether to go to Notts or to Manchester!!

Is anyone else around the same age as me, moving into halls and really scared about living with 18/19yr olds? It's the scariest part of going to uni for me!!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting

xxx

Hey Elizabeth

Best of luck with your Manchester interview. I'm 28 and also pretty nervous about the prospect of sharing halls with 18 year olds but I guess that's part of uni life and I'm sure it'll all work out.

I've applied for Law LLB @ LSE, Warwick, Exeter, Cardiff and Reading.

Got an interview in Reading coming up and also the entrance exam at LSE and a NO from Cardiff;-((

Still waiting for the other two. Have you had any updates from Exeter recently?

Nick
Reply 108
I've just received my first offer! :woo: Had an interview at UEA on Tuesday, loved it there but thought I talked too much, however I've just had an unconditional offer!!! So excited!
LooCee
I've just received my first offer! :woo: Had an interview at UEA on Tuesday, loved it there but thought I talked too much, however I've just had an unconditional offer!!! So excited!

Congratulations!

It is a great feeling, suddenly realising you really are going to uni! :biggrin:
Reply 110
heidigirl
Congratulations!

It is a great feeling, suddenly realising you really are going to uni! :biggrin:

I can't believe you haven't heard from Cardiff yet!
Tilie
I can't believe you haven't heard from Cardiff yet!

I know!! It's been absolutely ages (I mean for Cardiff-I know lots of people wait months and months for some unis, but it tends to be the unis with a reputation for it, and everyone in the Cardiff forum got their reply in like 3-4 weeks :s-smilie: ).

I'm going to email them and ask what's going on-just in case they've forgotten about me, or lost my application, or want something off me but haven't bothered to tell me, or something like that..:rolleyes:
Reply 112
heidigirl
I know!! It's been absolutely ages (I mean for Cardiff-I know lots of people wait months and months for some unis, but it tends to be the unis with a reputation for it, and everyone in the Cardiff forum got their reply in like 3-4 weeks :s-smilie: ).

I'm going to email them and ask what's going on-just in case they've forgotten about me, or lost my application, or want something off me but haven't bothered to tell me, or something like that..:rolleyes:

Yes I would too :smile: I think the problem is us mature students with qualifications which don't fit the normal A level requirements get shoved on the side a bit for last consideration. Some seem to really welcome mature learners and others seem to panic and get all confused. Before I withdrew from Kent, it is certainly how I felt anyway. They left me for months and are supposed to be one of the quickest. I do hope you hear soon and that it is good news! :p:
Reply 113
Tilie
Yes I would too :smile: I think the problem is us mature students with qualifications which don't fit the normal A level requirements get shoved on the side a bit for last consideration. Some seem to really welcome mature learners and others seem to panic and get all confused. Before I withdrew from Kent, it is certainly how I felt anyway. They left me for months and are supposed to be one of the quickest. I do hope you hear soon and that it is good news! :p:

It all happened much quicker than I thought. I applied 14th Dec and with christmas and the snow which pretty much closed the country for two weeks, I'd had three offers by mid jan! I was happy with the offers so withdrew my others, good times!

I agree though, like you, some unis I spoke to were perfectly able to deal with me but some... it was as if I was calling from the moons of Jupiter...
Was definitely worth emailing; I got a reply and apparently they're just having big delays with offers showing up on UCAS, and the guy told me in the email they're giving me an unconditional offer. :eek:

I seriously thought they were probably going to reject me (tbh, ever since I sent off my UCAS I feared I had aimed too high with Cardiff, and I kind of regarded them as my long shot). Half in shock that they actually want me...:woo:

Just have to wait until it shows up on UCAS so I can accept it. :biggrin:
Reply 115
AshMcD
It all happened much quicker than I thought. I applied 14th Dec and with christmas and the snow which pretty much closed the country for two weeks, I'd had three offers by mid jan! I was happy with the offers so withdrew my others, good times!

I agree though, like you, some unis I spoke to were perfectly able to deal with me but some... it was as if I was calling from the moons of Jupiter...

Wow that's great! I had one person on my access course whose university had no idea what she was talking about and wouldn't accept it, she has to do another foundation year eeek! Mine were quite nice though except Reading who didn't like it either haha :p:
Reply 116
heidigirl
Was definitely worth emailing; I got a reply and apparently they're just having big delays with offers showing up on UCAS, and the guy told me in the email they're giving me an unconditional offer. :eek:

I seriously thought they were probably going to reject me (tbh, ever since I sent off my UCAS I feared I had aimed too high with Cardiff, and I kind of regarded them as my long shot). Half in shock that they actually want me...:woo:

Just have to wait until it shows up on UCAS so I can accept it. :biggrin:

Oh my god!!!!!!! Congratulations! aww I'm going to have to find another NHM buddy at RHUL now hehe :p:
Tilie
Oh my god!!!!!!! Congratulations! aww I'm going to have to find another NHM buddy at RHUL now hehe :p:

Aw, that would have been nice, already kind of knowing someone on the same course. :frown:

That is the one downside of Cardiff-no NHM. :cry2:

On the plus side, the national museum of wales right near the Cardiff campus has a big enough natural history section to satisfy my desire for fossils most of the time. Not as good as the NHM, but it'll do. :biggrin:
Reply 118
heidigirl
Aw, that would have been nice, already kind of knowing someone on the same course. :frown:

That is the one downside of Cardiff-no NHM. :cry2:

On the plus side, the national museum of wales right near the Cardiff campus has a big enough natural history section to satisfy my desire for fossils most of the time. Not as good as the NHM, but it'll do. :biggrin:

Aww what's most important is that you will be where you will be the most happiest for several years. Plenty of time for NHM when you do postgrad :biggrin:
Reply 119
Well, UCAS processed my application on Thursday. I have applied to five universities. The University of Stirling has already sent me a letter saying they are considering my application, along with a lovely applicant information pack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending