Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is life at uni?
    How often do you have classes? How long are they?

I heard that at Oxford for example, each person has a "personal tutor" who tells you which lectures he recommends you go to. This same tutor also gives you dissertations to do and stuff.

Is it the same in all universities, for example Glasgow?

Does this technically mean that you don't HAVE to attend all classes/lectures?

Which unis have classes/timetables resembling those of schools?

ReputationRep:
    I do 11 hours a week, split into 4 lectures. Not compulsory to attend all, but its a good idea really! Nothing worse than trying to write an assignment on something you have no clue about!

ReputationRep:
    University is extremely relaxed, compared to school.

ReputationRep:
    We are told you are expected to attend all lectures.
    Having said this, in lectures, they can't tell if you go or not because there's no registration.

I've missed two workshops, which are registered, and gotten in no trouble =]

I'm in about 11 hours a week, but with Psychology you have to do a lot of reading around the topic or you're not going to know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Hungover!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Engineering. I'm in a total of 21 hours per week most weeks, except two weeks where I have a lab to attend which lasts an hour or so. That number includes both lectures and tutorials. Tutorials are timetabled to last an hour, so they only really last 45mins. The tutorials for each module themselves can take many hours to complete, so it's best to do as much of the tutorials by yourself as possible, and use the tutorial session to ask the lecturer for help with the problems you cannot do.

Very little essay writing, thankfully. Although, to be honest, the essays that I have had to write were on ****** uninteresting things.

ReputationRep:
    For this semester I have 2 double lectures and a single.
    Mon - double
    Wed - double
    Fri - single

I suggest attending all.

Tuesday and Friday we have studio, in which we work on our projects and each day we get a 30minute ish tutorial to discuss project progress and ideas. We are i nrouglhy groups of under 20 assigned to each design Tutor for our design module.
    Sometimes we have site visit on these studio days or during the studio we have workshops.
    And I think we have group tutorial for our other module on Wed/Thurs. We are expected to attend all studio.

However I seem to end up staying till uni at about 9 most days anyway. And when project deadlines and portfolio hand in, it means studio (luckily 24 hour opening) and going in on weekends.
    That's Architecture though, I'm sure it's VERY different to all other courses.

ReputationRep:
    you dont even need to go to any lectures at all these days.. all my lecturers put their notes up on the internet for you to download/look at..

ReputationRep:
    At Glasgow I have 10 lectures per week with 3 compulsory tutorials per week, and a lab every three weeks. If you miss more than two tutorials per subject you may be chucked off the course. I misssed two tutorials last semester for one of my subjects and was warned about it.

Saying that I rarely go to lectures and I just download the notes online. You soon prioritise drinking and going out over lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I do Economics at LSE and I have 8 hours of lecture, and 4 hours of classes a week.

To be honest, I go to 2 lectures out of those 8... watch the rest online (sooooo glad we have this ) or just read the textbook. Some lecturers are rubbish!

I attend all my classes if I can though, they help me far more than lectures (well, some of them). And they are compulsory for us. If someone misses two classes for the same module in 2 consecutive weeks they get a warning... and if they miss too many in the year, they'd be disqualified the exam.

ReputationRep:
    4 hours of lectures, 4 hours of seminars a week but loads of reading to do.

ReputationRep:
    I have about 10 hours of lectures and 4 hours of classes a week, but realistically i go to about 4 lectures a week and try my best to go to all my classes, most of the lectures are recorded online which is very helpful and means we can be very lazy :-D

ReputationRep:
    I have 4 hours lectures and four hours seminars
    and for the rest of the week I'm pretty much bored

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.