Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some people I know from sixth form are thinking of getting a flat together, and asked me if I want to do it with them, so we don't end up living with, and sharing everything with, complete strangers.

But I'm not sure if it's s good idea, it could make it harder to meet new people, whereas if i move in with strangers I'll meet a lot of new people instantly. And i'll still be able to visit my current friends whenever I want too.

I'm really worried about it because i'm quite quiet and shy, so meeting people could really be difficult for me, but living with strangers could also be dificult as it might take me a while to get comfortable.

Looking on this forum a lot of people sem to have problems with flatmates, but then again, you don't go on forums asking for advice if everything's ok! So i assume a lot of people are fine with them.

So, if you had the choice, would you live with people you already know and get on with, or take the risk and go for new people too?

Sorry about the longish post.

ReputationRep:
    Id room with friends if I could.

ReputationRep:
    Room with new people, there's always the chance to move in with your friends in your second/third years. Halls in your first year is a blast

ReputationRep:
    defo live with new people. it'll force you out of your comfort zone, if you live with friends you would be less motivated to get out there and make your own friends. especially cuz you are shy, you'd be tempted to stick to your group of friends and it would be harder for you to meet new people and develop your own confidence in making friends... which is one of the best things about the uni experience; gaining confidence.
    and remember, you can always live with them in 2nd year if you dont get on with flatmates in 1st year.

everyones scared that they'll get a flat full of idiots, but it's all experience and you may regret not throwing yourself into the experience completely if you live with people you already know. you'll never get the chance again to live in halls with people who also dont know each other, so you should definitely go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Not recommended. Meeting new people might be difficult, and all of a sudden ur "stuck" with ur mates.

Go live on ur own. If it sucks, you've always got your mates to go to anyway. You'll always have them.

ReputationRep:
    I live with a mate and two other people (who we didn't know at the start of uni) and it's ok! I've had no problem making other friends, and also its been nice to have my friend around! I would personally live with friends over complete strangers.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.