Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Watch out, scammers on Skype watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so most people with half a brain cell could identify an internet scam from a mile off, but just incase be on the lookout:

[1/23/2010 4:32:35 PM] William Appiah: Hello Hunt,

I have been in search of someone with this last name "HUNT", so when I saw your name I was pushed to contact you and see how best we can assist each other. I am Dr. William Appiah, a Banker here in GHANA. I believe it is the will of God for me to come across you on skype now. I am having an important business discussion I wish to share with you which I believe will interest you because, it is in connection with your last name and you are going to benefit from it.

One Late Ben C. HUNT, a citizen of your country had a fixed deposit with my bank in 2004 for 36 calendar months, valued at USD $12,500,000.00 (Twelve Million, Five Hundred Thousand US Dollars) the due date for this deposit contract was the 16th of January 2007. Sadly Ben was among the death victims in the May 26 2006 Earthquake disaster in Jawa, Indonesia that killed over 5,000 people. He was in Indonesia on a business trip and that was how he met his end

Let me know your mind on this and please do treat this information as TOP SECRET. We shall go over the details once I receive your urgent response strictly through my personal Email address: [email protected] We can as well discuss this on phone;
    Have a nice day and God bless.

Anticipating your communication.

Dr William M.Appiah
    [12:54:55 PM] Daniel Hunt: Hello! Please add me to your Contact list.

[12:58:52 PM] William Appiah: Hello Dan?

[12:59:06 PM] William Appiah: William Appiah has shared contact details with Daniel Hunt.

[12:59:35 PM] Daniel Hunt: hi i got some spam email off you on skype

[1:00:43 PM] William Appiah: i thank God for you because i have looking for someone with this last name that can assist me in this project

[1:01:34 PM] William Appiah: i have more detail information concerning this transaction and myself that i will want you to know

[1:02:35 PM] William Appiah: if you can give me your email address where i can forward you the details and also my work ID for proper indentification and for to know that i'm not a ghost

[1:02:49 PM] William Appiah: hello?

[1:03:01 PM] Daniel Hunt: I still dont trust this, as it seems to me to be a bit good to be true to be honest

[1:03:16 PM] William Appiah: ok

[1:04:22 PM] William Appiah: i will send you a copy of the deposit slip that was issued to late mr Ben Hunt by my Bank as at the time the contract was sealed

[1:05:01 PM] Daniel Hunt: I do not know of a Ben Hunt

[1:05:46 PM] William Appiah: i know that you don't know him but it's a great opportunity for you and i

[1:06:00 PM] Daniel Hunt: and how would this work exactly?

[1:06:09 PM] William Appiah: i'm a child of GOD

[1:06:16 PM] William Appiah: fine

[1:06:45 PM] William Appiah: i need your email address where i can send you more details and my work id

[1:07:07 PM] William Appiah: i can aswell send you the deposit slip of the fund
    [1:07:23 PM] Daniel Hunt: can't you just send more details over this?

[1:07:40 PM] William Appiah: Then if you can come down to GHANA to see things for yourself

[1:08:12 PM] William Appiah: i can send it to your email address

[1:08:40 PM] William Appiah: so send me the email and i will send it to you now

[1:08:51 PM] William Appiah: ok?

[1:09:10 PM] Daniel Hunt: no thank you brother but I don't think I shall be travelling to Ghana any time soon

[1:09:14 PM] Daniel Hunt: this is some sort of scam

[1:09:57 PM] William Appiah: do not insult me because i'm trying to solve this problem

[1:10:09 PM] William Appiah: i'm not a kid

[1:10:36 PM] William Appiah: if you don't want to come down to Ghana there is no problem

[1:11:23 PM] William Appiah: and i'm assuring you that everything will be done under a legal arrangement that will protect you and i from any breach of law

[1:12:09 PM] Daniel Hunt: I have searched similar conversations on google and it has assured me that this is a scam. the police will be contacted. if you are innocent then you have nothing to worry about

[1:12:52 PM] William Appiah: My dear i cannot force you to do this with me,if you are not interested i will go on and look for someone else.

[1:13:05 PM] William Appiah: i cannot be afraid of police

[1:14:04 PM] William Appiah: because i know that my hands are clean and a small boy of your age cannot put into any kind of trouble

[1:14:12 PM] Daniel Hunt: Can you explain this then? http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com/bi...-now-on-skype/

[1:14:18 PM] William Appiah: i'm 44yrs old

[1:14:33 PM] Daniel Hunt: and what? you dont have to be a child to scam someone

[1:14:51 PM] Daniel Hunt: I have read many reports of people who have tried EXACTLY the same method as you

[1:15:08 PM] William Appiah: in that case you are not the right one for this deal

[1:15:27 PM] Daniel Hunt: you mean i am not gullible enough to fall for your lies

[1:15:27 PM] William Appiah: there is no harm in trying

[1:15:49 PM] William Appiah: if i have agreed to send you my work id how can i then scam you

[1:16:02 PM] Daniel Hunt: anyone can use photoshop to mock up identification nowadays

[1:16:08 PM] Daniel Hunt: it doesnt take a genius

[1:16:49 PM] William Appiah: you are insulting me son i have a children of your ageand i don't deserve these insults

[1:16:59 PM] Daniel Hunt: i am not a fool

[1:17:15 PM] Daniel Hunt: now i suggest you go look up a mr Isaac Hunt and **** off

[1:17:23 PM] William Appiah: you are the biggest fool that i have ever met

[1:17:32 PM] Daniel Hunt: hahahaha

[1:17:45 PM] William Appiah: your generation **** off

[1:18:01 PM] William Appiah: idiot go and tell your father to **** off

[1:18:08 PM] Daniel Hunt: makes alot of sense, a whole generation to **** off?

[1:18:29 PM] William Appiah: you white hucks do not have home training

[1:18:38 PM] Daniel Hunt: I am sorry? Racism now?

[1:18:58 PM] Daniel Hunt: thats a bit low
    Can't blame a guy for trying eh?

(P.s. to any mods, if this is in the wrong section, my apologies!)

ReputationRep:
    William Appiah is a C.Hunt

ReputationRep:
    "Ben C. HUNT" :mmm:

"you white hucks do not have home training"
    :rofl:

But seriously, the person replying was a damn pleb. Just report them and move on.

If you are Daniel Hunt, pleb rule still applies.

ReputationRep:
    He loved it. Anyway just watch out, apparently there are loads about at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    There is a pidgeon stuck in your vault, sir, what is your sort code?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    "Ben C. HUNT" :mmm:

"you white hucks do not have home training"
    :rofl:

But seriously, the person replying was a damn pleb. Just report them and move on.

If you are Daniel Hunt, pleb rule still applies.
    Noticed OP's username?

ReputationRep:
    "you white hucks do not have home training" - wtf is 'home training'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    Noticed OP's username?
    :holmes:

Touché.

ReputationRep:
    419 scam. Look it up.

ReputationRep:
    I hope I get this :woo: It looks like fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    :lol:

OP Sometimes its fun when you know its a scam to lead them on, a neighbour of mine contemplated opening a bank account and just putting the minimum amount in, it would be interesting to see the emails you get then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacitas)
    "you white hucks do not have home training" - wtf is 'home training'?
    :mmm:

Manners, respecting elders etc I'm guessing...

ReputationRep:
    how do people fall for this ****?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever had an attempted 419 scam face-to-face?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    Sir, there is a man in your account who is there to stop the money from getting dirty. He is trapped, and running out of oxygen. I need your account details to free him...

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.