Turn on thread page Beta

Career Change - Do I stand a chance of getting in? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Can I just add something. I think people are being a tad unfair on you - here are my thoughts/experiences.

The interview is VERY fixed and is not flexible in any way between AFCOs.

Personally I have done filter interviews, OASC interviews and two different UAS interviews and although they all varried in difficulty they did not vary in structure. The questions were set and are all listed on this forum.

If they ask you your responsibility at school - they mean at school. They will not allow someone to talk about their experience in IT for example (so you are correct Sundance). You will be interupted with "yes we will come back to that later but what about school?"

For me it was:

"Any clubs at school"?
    "No, but outside of school at that age I was heavily involved with....."
    "No if we can just stick to school for now thanks. Any responsibility at school?"
    "No, but outside of school at that age I was leading....blah blah blah"
    "If we can just stick to inside school"

etc etc

However when they ask "is there anything we missed out" or "tell us about areas of responsibility AFTER school or WHILST at school" then you make sure you say what you need to say. But this WILL be the only part of the interview you are able to do this in.

Read the questions on this site.
    Go back to the AFCO (a different one)
    Get in.

Q_M
    If that is the case, then things have significantly changed since my day. Not sure if they still have them, but if they do, switch to the Army, find your regional recruiting officer and have a sensible chat with him or her by phone or email. I'm sure some of the others will be able to let us know if the same exist for the Navy/RAF.

If I bump into anyone in the recruitment world over the next few days, I will make a point of grilling them on current selection and get some answers.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Thanks too Q_M.

You pretty much nailed my point.

(Original post by Q_M)
    "Any clubs at school"?
    "No, but outside of school at that age I was heavily involved with....."
    "No if we can just stick to school for now thanks. Any responsibility at school?"
    "No, but outside of school at that age I was leading....blah blah blah"
    "If we can just stick to inside school"
    That is exactly what I got. It was roughly the same questions about clubs, activities, sports and grades up to my university life and that’s where the timeline ended for me.

I did try to get it in, but as Qm says, they stick to a script, even to the point where the interviewer stopped me from discussing outside of the subject area (e.g school, college, university)

There was no balance to the interview. I remember I walked out the office, thinking it was very odd how the interviewer was far more fixated on my school life over ten years ago, as opposed to showing absolutely no interest about my recent working life.

It’ hard to sell yourself over your jobs if they don’t want to hear about them.

It’s why I’m hoping to learn if this is how they structure the interviews now, before I proceed again. I’m hoping it was one off but I get the distinct feeling it isn’t.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So - once more - are you going to try again? You seem to be clutching at those responses that fit your preconception / possible experience and focusing on them rather than a way forward.
    Those who joined beyond school leaving age (myself included) have answered your issues several times. We got in, despite your increasing belief that there is a conspiracy against you. You sound as if you are preparing for a life of 'Well, obviously I'd have been a Group Captain by now, but the RAF are biased against older applicants'.
    We got in, older than you have successfully got through. Shut up and put up - anything less and you really haven't got what it takes.

ReputationRep:
    Pro stacker ignoring the sly insults, the only one piece of advice you’ve given, is to march down to the career office straight away.

I heard you the first time you said it. Give it a rest.

News flash, I did that once already.

How long ago was it when you joined up?

I’m simply in a forum promoted by the RAF career office finding out some information first BEFORE I do go back down again. That’s the idea of why the RAF promote this site.

I’m 26 years old, I’ve been to a hell of a lot of job interviews in that time frame, I know what it is to be interviewed for a job.

So I’d say I’m astute enough to realise when a subject is being avoided. When an employer asks nothing of the last 5 years of your life, it’s peculiar.

ReputationRep:
    It's more than peculiar; responses on this thread indicate your experience is unique. That's why everyone's saying you should go back and try again. Your experience WAS NOT typical of the RAF filter interview.

ReputationRep:
    Sundance,
    I spent well over a decade out of education and had to answer the same questions about school and activities but was also able to add considerably when asked about my work life and activities outside work. I also had to add considerable information at the point were you are asked is there anything else you think is important or not covered. The important thing that keeps coming up is if you think it went badly then get down there and find out more about the options and branches available to you, do some research and reapply the worst case is you learn a little more about yourself and broaden your horizons and IF you are good enough you get selected. Do some searches through the old threads and put the time in. The RAF will only recruit people if they are good enough, not by their previous career choices and the even if you apply for a short service commission the choice is yours.

As pro stacker so eloquently put it,
    "shut up or put up" those are your options and if you decide to put up then you will receive considerable help from people on this forum if you put the ground work in.

H&R

ReputationRep:
    As Q_M said! I remmember when i had mine and they started going on about school, i tried to evade the question twice but then i had to dig deep down and talk about embarrasing stuff like when i was chess team captain LoL.

ReputationRep:
    O.P, i feel for you- i really do. But, you are applying to join an organisation that decides how it assess's its applicants for itself. It chooses its questions to ask- Whatever the reasons.

You have to accept this.

You are lucky in that a) these are well documented on the wunderweb (www), b) you've been before so can prepare more fully for next time.

I see your point, but why contest an interview structure that the 'company' that you want to join has chosen? It MUST have its reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundance_kid05)
    Thanks
    Thanks too Q_M.

You pretty much nailed my point.

That is exactly what I got. It was roughly the same questions about clubs, activities, sports and grades up to my university life and that’s where the timeline ended for me.

I did try to get it in, but as Qm says, they stick to a script, even to the point where the interviewer stopped me from discussing outside of the subject area (e.g school, college, university)

There was no balance to the interview. I remember I walked out the office, thinking it was very odd how the interviewer was far more fixated on my school life over ten years ago, as opposed to showing absolutely no interest about my recent working life.

It’ hard to sell yourself over your jobs if they don’t want to hear about them.

It’s why I’m hoping to learn if this is how they structure the interviews now, before I proceed again. I’m hoping it was one off but I get the distinct feeling it isn’t.
    All I can suggest is going through the questions and thinking about where you can really put your previous experience across. As said befire you simply won't be able to change the questions around. I hated all of my interviews with the RAF untill afterwards when I found out I'd done well.

Q_M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAF_Nurse!)
    O.P, i feel for you- i really do. But, you are applying to join an organisation that decides how it assess's its applicants for itself. It chooses its questions to ask- Whatever the reasons.

You have to accept this.

You are lucky in that a) these are well documented on the wunderweb (www), b) you've been before so can prepare more fully for next time.

I see your point, but why contest an interview structure that the 'company' that you want to join has chosen? It MUST have its reasons.
    With all respect the main difference between this organisation is that it’s application process takes quite a long time to process. It’s a commitment. It's not like just turning up for an interview for an IT role, that doesn't take half as long.

I'd simply prefer to know what their honest stance of my background is before committing to travelling to their closest career office (which is a 40 minute drive for me) and weeks of preparation. Hence why I’m seeking clarification.

My feeling is if they do wish to frankly discard my entire working career then I very much doubt I would want to reapply. That’s why I’d like to know first before committing the next few months to the RAF, when I could better put my energy elsewhere.

Although most people seem to think it was a one off bad interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundance_kid05)
    With all respect the main difference between these organisations is that its application process takes quite a long time to process. It’s a commitment. It's not like just turning up for an interview for an IT role, that doesn't take half as long.

I'd simply prefer to know what their honest stance of my background is before committing to travelling to their closest career office (which is a 40 minute drive for me) and weeks of preparation. Hence why I’m seeking clarification.

My feeling is if they do wish to frankly discard my entire working career then I very much doubt I would want to reapply. That’s why I’d like to know first before committing the next few months to the RAF, when I could better put my energy elsewhere.

Although most people seem to think it was a one off bad interview.
    The RAF wants experience and new blood alike otherwise old gits like me and several others on this forum would not be here.

If the commitment is an issue then think about another line of work or stay in civi IT.

The RAF will not take your previous experience for granted and it will be of benefit to you and the service; if they decide to select you.

If you went into the AFCO with a similar attitude of defeatism that your appear to be demonstrating here, then If I was interviewing you I would have shown you the door and marked your P file as do not encourage to join.

The Armed forces ARE a vocation. Whether you come to them straight from school or after 20 years doing something else, then you will have to dedicate yourself to them. The military is not a 9-5 job and when the office door shuts we still have our claws in you 24/7

Are you prepared to put some work in to achieve something worthwhile? If so stopping whining and MTFU. The services can pick from the cream of the crop at the moment so have you thought that you maybe don't measure up?
    (if you don't know what MTFU means look at Egoat RAFANASAURUS)

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.