Turn on thread page Beta

Text Transformation, A2 English Language and Literature...Help! watch

ReputationRep:
    So i've been reading a lot of posts about other peoples text transformation coursework, and it sounds like they've been able to choose their own texts? Our teacher has chosen our base texts for us, which i find quite unfair and also limiting, shes chosen Shakespeare's 'Titus Andronicus' and also Robert Browning's 'The Laboratory' and 'My last Duchess'.... So we have to do two.. Is this correct?

Anyway im totally stuck for ideas, last year for my piece of creative writing i did a pscyhologists report on Frankenstein, and i found emulating this style of writing suited me really well, i got an A last year so i really want the same this year! Other ideas ive got is transforming one of the Browning poems into a Sherlock Holmes-style extract from a mystery novel, but i want to make sure i get maxiumum marks... Can anybody save my life and help me with ideas, or give me some advice when coming to the actual transformations please?? x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i did this coursework last year, it was a killer! but myself and many of my classmates managed to get an A so the good news is - it's achievable :]

Basically, there is a word count that you have to meet which can be through writing two transformations and then two commentarys OR one longer transformation and a longer commentary (we all did one commentary and one transformation - as then you could go into more depth about your transformation and gain the marks in the higher grade bands) but if your teacher has requested you do two transformations i'm sure there's a good reason for this and they probably have a strategy different to my tutors, so don't worry :]

So you know that a transformation could take this method:
    step one: taking the plot of a classic text
    step two: re-writing in the style of another text (i.e. diary entries/prose etc) or in a different Genre (i.e. Sci-fi/Romance.. etc) or BOTH!
    step three: writing from an alternate PoV so that the original text has a new layer to it (optional but advisable)

SO you might take a Shakespeare play (i.e. Twelfth Night)
    Re-write it in the form of a diary entry from a female characters PoV (Olivia - from Twelfth Night)
    introducing a twist which changes the original text (Olivia is actually aware that Cesario is a woman the whole time! How funny.)

the transformation is the fun part :]
    ..the commentary can be a toughie

Is there any leverage that you may be able to chose your own texts? Although to be honest.. i found this very difficult to do as the possibilities are endless, so maybe it's helpful your teacher has chosen the texts for you! :]

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you so much, yes thats really helped me actually, i feel that our teacher hasn't really told us much of the vital information, so i'm worrying that i'll do all this work and miss out something simple, meaning I won't be able to achieve the higher grade boundaries.

The bad thing about having our texts chosen for us is that i feel sort of restricted when changing the genres/style of the text, because one is a play and one is a poem, so im not sure as to whether i have to transform the poem into a play / the play into a poem, if that makes sense haha

I think i need to speak with my teacher about making sure i include the vital elements from the base texts to make sure i still do these elements justice in the transformation....

Oh confusing! But thank you i really appriecate your advice!!! Are you at uni now then? What are you doing? Sorry i'm being nosy but i'm going through my "obsessed with university" phase haha

ReputationRep:
    As the base text should be classical literature, technically you could use either, but i suggest using a poem and transforming it into a play - you could probably get more marks that way but yes deffo chat to your teacher about it :]

Yeah i am that's alright i don't mind, studying English Language and Literature lol, what are you gonna be studying at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Yep i've applied to do English Language and Literature too! Hopefully either at UCL (depending on my results though), St Marys College in Twickenham or at Reading ...
    Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Ah good luck! :]

ReputationRep:
    Do you all do AQA A?

If yes, what do you study at A2? I'm currently studying AS English Language and Lit A.

ReputationRep:
    Noooo mines AQA Spec B....

ReputationRep:
    Can any one help me with my A2 text transformations I'm doing..... My last duchess and translating it in to a magazine interview but does anyone know the mark scheme what the board are looking for and whether you include figurative devices and things like that in your transformations xox

ReputationRep:
    The first thing you need to decide is which sort of magazine article you are going for. Different magazines have very different styles, for example you might pick to emulate an article from something like Closer, with the big headlines e.t.c (this could be good as it is a celebrity magazine and obvioulsy in my last duchess there is the Duke, would have been classed as a celebrity during the time browning wrote the poem), or you might want to do something from a more collouqiual magazine like Chat or something. First decide which style your going for, and buy yourself a copy of the magazine. Analyse a few or their articles, look to see whether they use formal language, short/long sentences, and particular styles of grammar for example lots of !!!'s e.t.c, then you can simply replicate their style of writing, as long as you write about it in your commentary. )

ReputationRep:
    Am doing a text transformation too using the novel Great Gatsby. However, am totalllly stuck on ideas of what to transform the text in to. Any ideas, pleaaaase?!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.