Turn on thread page Beta

With so many good looking, nice girls out there, how can you be happy with one? watch

Obviously the solution which lots would suggest is just having sex with lots of them, but what if you actually want something more with all of them?

Can you ever be content with just one of them?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    yooop

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a correlation between sexual partners and happiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Obviously the solution which lots would suggest is just having sex with lots of them, but what if you actually want something more with all of them?

Throw a girlfriend into the mix and you have a very interesting situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......?)
    I don't think there's a correlation between sexual partners and happiness.
    There may be a negative correlation over time when the person realises they are missing a meaningful relationship in their life. (I am talking chronic one night standing here, like until you're 50 or something). Would be interesting, I bet there's a study somewhere to do with it...

ReputationRep:

This may be the definite test to see if you ever experienced love. You didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    There may be a negative correlation over time when the person realises they are missing a meaningful relationship in their life. (I am talking chronic one night standing here, like until you're 50 or something). Would be interesting, I bet there's a study somewhere to do with it...
    I'd imagine the people at 0 would have a low average happiness, maybe a few buddhist monks pushing the average up a little. Then anywhere between 1 and double figures could be any happiness, then sex addicts would be pretty low.

Do your dissertation on it and tell me what you find out.

(Original post by HaNzY)
    I heard you gained almost all your rep from 2 reps from Jangrafess and Charl.

OP: I know what you mean. I tried a relationship with a good looking girl. I was cheated on a few months later. They are not relationship material. A good looking girl is good for shagging only.

ReputationRep:
    If you have one good looking girl why would you want to change for another good looking girl? Unless you mean having two or three at the same time...which would be considered cheating.

ReputationRep:
    Try polygamy.

ReputationRep:
    I know I sound cliché saying this but... there's more to a person than how they look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......?)
    I'd imagine the people at 0 would have a low average happiness, maybe a few buddhist monks pushing the average up a little. Then anywhere between 1 and double figures could be any happiness, then sex addicts would be pretty low.

Do your dissertation on it and tell me what you find out.
    Yeah it would probably be more normally distributed or maybe a positive skew than an actual correlation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking a sigmoidal correlation :smartass:

ReputationRep:
    Scientifically speaking, Buddhist monks do show the highest levels of happiness (contentment) levels on brain scans. Strange how few of us want to become one though...

And agreed re sex addicts/those with multiple partners; always searching, never finding.

However - although of course you can "...Be content with just one of them", it's human nature to never be satisfied. The perfect woman doesn't exist of course (you can't be both brunette and blonde at the same time). Constantly window-shopping seems the best compromise.

ReputationRep:
    I heard you gained almost all your rep from 2 reps from Jangrafess and Charl.
    Yes they gave me some of my rep, they are very nice people, but not all of my rep is from them I can guarantee you. I have a lot from people who I am giving uni info to and people whose PS's I've reviewed, amongst others.

How has this got any relevance to the current issue?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps at this stage of your life, you arent ready for a sort of "commitment" with just one, so some people may find it perfectly natural that they stay with one person for a while, then get bored or see someone else that they think is nicer. After a while most people will start to settle down and will be perfectly happy with one person, to repeat what someone said above, its not all about looks and sex, a lot of it has to do with personality.

PS, i love how tsr starts to think about studies on happiness and correlations

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.