Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to go about getting into uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am 21 and currently work full time in a shop!!! I dropped out of college when i was 16 as i didnt feel ready to go to college, so i got a full time job and then have worked ever since. In 2008 i decided that i really missed learning, so i just went back 1 day a weeek ( on my day off!!) to do beauty, i enjoyed it but not challenging enough for me, anyway i passed with a credit. I also have 9 A-C GCSE's. I really am wanting to go into drug/alcohol misuse and counselling. I just not sure what my best option is to get into uni??? I have found a FdSc in addiction that i really want to do, through bath uni, also i dont understand the UCAS system of points? Can anyone be of help please?! Many Thanks Jordan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JorDy***)
    Hi i am 21 and currently work full time in a shop!!! I dropped out of college when i was 16 as i didnt feel ready to go to college, so i got a full time job and then have worked ever since. In 2008 i decided that i really missed learning, so i just went back 1 day a weeek ( on my day off!!) to do beauty, i enjoyed it but not challenging enough for me, anyway i passed with a credit. I also have 9 A-C GCSE's. I really am wanting to go into drug/alcohol misuse and counselling. I just not sure what my best option is to get into uni??? I have found a FdSc in addiction that i really want to do, through bath uni, also i dont understand the UCAS system of points? Can anyone be of help please?! Many Thanks Jordan.
    1. ucas is easy really. all you do is; go to the ucas home page and click on apply. you put your detail in and then follow the instruction.
    2. you can either go back to college and do a access course(prob in healthcare) then apply to uni the year after or apply for a course at uni with a foundation course attached to it.

to do what you want to do the bests degree would be something like social work or nursing.

pm me if you need help with any of this. i was in the same situation as you (ie didnt know how to do ucas and didnt have alevels) so know a bit.

ReputationRep:
    just looked at bath website: do you work in an addiction clinic/setting?

ReputationRep:
    You can do degree in psychology with counselling at many places, im not completly sure how to go about getting in but you could study A-levels independantly or through something like ICS and take a look at foundation courses etc. Or there may be a route though college but I would think you would have to study full time.

I wouldn't recomend nursing or social work as both are not really counselling, personally I would say psychology with something like either counselling/ substance misuse etc as 1) It's much more related 2) Less demanding. But you can apply to do a mental health nursing diploma with just GCSE's if you want to look out for that.

ReputationRep:
    http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...=0&button1.y=0

For some you only need two Alevels which should be do-able alongside work :-).

ReputationRep:
    I was going to answer this question with my bus route. :sigh:

But perhaps a foundation year at your local university would be good for you? You could then go on to do something perhaps in Social Work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    You can do degree in psychology with counselling at many places, im not completly sure how to go about getting in but you could study A-levels independantly or through something like ICS and take a look at foundation courses etc. Or there may be a route though college but I would think you would have to study full time.

I wouldn't recomend nursing or social work as both are not really counselling, personally I would say psychology with something like either counselling/ substance misuse etc as 1) It's much more related 2) Less demanding. But you can apply to do a mental health nursing diploma with just GCSE's if you want to look out for that.
    this is a good idea OP. there are som many addiction problems in mental health you would be suprised. you could then wok as a mental health nurse and specalise in addiction.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys thanks for your replies, im jus going to have a look into the mental health nursing, as this actually hadnt crossed my mind, but alot of people who have mental health problems can be due to addictions/sustance abuse. So i will have a look and then tell you what i find!!!

ReputationRep:
    P.s Natasha where did you find this mental health nursing diploma??? many thanks jordan

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys thanks for your replies, im jus going to have a look into the mental health nursing, as this actually hadnt crossed my mind, but alot of people who have mental health problems can be due to addictions/sustance abuse. So i will have a look and then tell you what i find!!!
    some people also have addictions in order to cope with their already exsisting mental health problems.

ReputationRep:
    Thats also very true, i have just rang southampton university to request a prospectus and to find out more about the course, still looks like i have to go and do an access or health and social course.

ReputationRep:
    P.s Natasha where did you find this mental health nursing diploma??? many thanks jordan
    Most universitys that do Nursing should have a diploma option - or go onto ucas search course, type in Nursing and there should be an option to search diploma courses only. You get a bursary too, and can switch to the degree before the third year so it's quite a good option.

Mental health nursing has a lot of opertunities in addiction, substance misuse etc.

ReputationRep:
    thats great natasha going onto ucas now to have a look!! I like the idea of the mental healh nurse, as you say it has lots of opportunites attatched to it. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Most universitys that do Nursing should have a diploma option - or go onto ucas search course, type in Nursing and there should be an option to search diploma courses only. You get a bursary too, and can switch to the degree before the third year so it's quite a good option.

Mental health nursing has a lot of opertunities in addiction, substance misuse etc.
    i think you have to have a good amount to experiance to apply to the diploma without Alevels... no sure though.

OP just bare that in mind and ask the unis what they look for because i am sure that even though you only need GCSEs that it is not that simple. but check either way before you apply to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    I think i am going to go and do the Access course in Health as this would be able to lead straight on as its a level 3 qualification.

ReputationRep:
    I think i am going to go and do the Access course in Health as this would be able to lead straight on as its a level 3 qualification.
    Just to say, don't rush into your decision. Make sure you thoroughly research both the course and the university before applying to make sure that it is right for you .

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.