Turn on thread page Beta

compliments watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering how you guys respond when someone pays you a compliment? for example, if someone compliments my clothes or jewellery or i can say 'oh thanks, i got it in *shop*' or something like that, but the other day when i was in work someone said i had lovely skin and i jus went really red and looked down because i didn't know what to say and i'm sure they thought i was really rude as they were being nice and i couldn't even be polite

ReputationRep:
    You just say 'thankyou' or 'wow, thankyou very much that's a really lovely compliment'.

ReputationRep:
    i just say yeah i know

ReputationRep:
    I always try and compliment them back. But it's very hard if a... rather large person compliments your waist or something. So awkward.

ReputationRep:
    I respond by asking "does that mean we're going to have sex soon?"

ReputationRep:
    I awkwardly say "err...thanks"

ReputationRep:
    Give them the :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I always try and compliment them back. But it's very hard if a... rather large person compliments your waist or something. So awkward.
    It really is awkward when they compliment something that is not so great about them.
    Off the topic, but I really wanted to get that top you have in your profile pic! Too expensive for me :sigh:

But yeah, I usually make it a point to compliment them back on something in the near future. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facetious)
    It really is awkward when they compliment something that is not so great about them.
    Off the topic, but I really wanted to get that top you have in your profile pic! Too expensive for me :sigh:

But yeah, I usually make it a point to compliment them back on something in the near future. :yep:
    I've seen some going for £30 on ebay :mmm:

I got mine from Cult and love it

ReputationRep:
    The only time I can remember being complimented was in a coffee shop about 4 weeks ago about my tshirt. I was so wtf about it ...first another customer said it was nice then the coffee seller said it was nice. I'm fairly sure I turned bright red and was just like "er.....................than ks?" :o:

ReputationRep:
    Haha it depends if I think they're just joking with me. If I know them then I smile and thank them. But if I don't know them, then I generally just mumble my thanks and just have a look of confusement on my face in case they were messing with me! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I've seen some going for £30 on ebay :mmm:

I got mine from Cult and love it
    :eek: I will have to take a look.. Yeah I saw it in Cult, if only they'd have a sale sometime!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I feel uncomfortable, awkward and self-conscious.

ReputationRep:
    Errr...thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so so so crap at taking compliments. I usually deny them or shrug them off!

I used to try to return them, but its quite obvious when you don't mean it. Now its just "Really? Thanks" :p:

ReputationRep:
    I say thanks

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time I smile and say thanks........but if it is a really nice compliment then i sometimes touch my hair and become a bit shy!..........depends who's complimenting me really........

ReputationRep:
    Smile and proceed with some other strand of conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I can't accept compliments; i don't why lol; just think they must be lying or something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.