Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've only just realised how bad immigration is actually getting... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Apologies regarding the phrasing of the earlier post.

Just because a 'British citizen' is born abroad does not make them an 'emigrant'. Many individuals born to British citizens resident abroad (army bases, ex-Imperial authorities, consulates, emigrants etc.) may still register their child as a British citizen.
    So what you are saying is that the figure for emigration should be lower, thus increasing the gap between immigration and emigration, thus increasing the NET immigration figure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    So what you are saying is that the figure for emigration should be lower, thus increasing the gap between immigration and emigration, thus increasing the NET immigration figure?
    The official figures are as the ONS specifies them to be.

The number of British citizens living abroad may be higher (or even lower) than the number of emigrants. Not all emigrants may be 'British citizens'. E.g. a Polish person returning from the UK to Poland in 2008, having arrived in say, 2005 (for what the Home Office believe to be in excess of 6 or 12 months, for example) may be classified as an 'emigrant', even though he/she may not hold British citizenship.

Likewise, many British citizens living abroad may immigrate to the UK, even though obviously they hold British citizenship. Also, one must bear in mind that people acquire British citizenship in the UK but also many formerly British people may renounce their citizenship if going to live permanently in foreign nations (e.g. Canada, India, Australia, Barbados, Singapore, etc.).

Therefore, the static figures for British citizens abroad versus non-British citizens in the UK aren't really transferable to net rate of immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play_fetch)
    looool wtf
    Hahaha... Sorry. I now realise i've made absolutely no sense in my prev post Ah... Too stressed with job applications!

ReputationRep:
    Although it's already been said by like 30 other people: Just because someone is not white does not mean there Muslim, my cousin for instance is mixed race (Farther is Jamaican and Mother is English) yet he gets racial abuse shouted at him left right and centre which is devastating really because he's such a nice person, but it does show just how small minded some people are.

I'm not turning this thread into a 'lets hate all Chinese people thread' but I live near a large university and would say that 80% of the people I see day to day are Chinese - which I have no problem with however, must of them are rude and obnoxious, for instance the other day I held a door open for one of them and they did not even acknowledge my existence, similar story when in shops, they seem to get really annoyed when a shop worker cannot understand what they are saying and start shouting profanities.

I must say though; I don't agree with all the Muslim bashing on this thread, I know quite a lot of Muslims and they all keep themselves to them selves, are polite and work extremely hard, again the complete opposite to all these Chinese 'students' who are in my opinion very rude and obnoxious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielNewton)
    Although it's already been said by like 30 other people: Just because someone is not white does not mean there Muslim, my cousin for instance is mixed race (Farther is Jamaican and Mother is English) yet he gets racial abuse shouted at him left right and centre which is devastating really because he's such a nice person, but it does show just how small minded some people are.
    Is he abused by chavs? Because let's face it, chavs are subhuman.

Black = 100%
    White = 100%
    Mixed = 100%
    Chav = 45% (They haven't fully evolved)

:woo:

I must say though; I don't agree with all the Muslim bashing on this thread, I know quite a lot of Muslims and they all keep themselves to them selves, are polite and work extremely hard, again the complete opposite to all these Chinese 'students' who are in my opinion very rude and obnoxious.
    In regards to Muslim bashing, it is often the case that you base Muslims and Islam rather than bash individual Muslims who can be quite respectful.

You are racist against the Chinese?
    Take that The Peoples Republic of China!
    (Whenever a country has democratic or People in the name you know its not democratic -_-)

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel like doing an essay but would like to point out that:

-British economy only started showing signs in September 09 during which people (mostly foreigners) were coming back from holidays and students were coming to the UK to settle in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xptos1)
    Don't feel like doing an essay but would like to point out that:

-British economy only started showing signs in September 09 during which people (mostly foreigners) were coming back from holidays and students were coming to the UK to settle in.
    Coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    Man, white people are embarrasing.

ReputationRep:
    I lol at how self righteous everyone on this website is about their wonderful "Liberal tolerance". Perhaps when they grow up and stop being brainwashed they'll be able to listen to both sides of an argument and have their own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechazoid)
    Man, white people are embarrasing.
    Haven't you seen the error of generalizations yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionnightmare)
    Ok, to reword to your liking, sir. Labour (medical practitioners) is not being allocated efficiently (the abuse of the healthcare system by people usually of a foreign background).
    so you base your complete change of opinion on the accounts of one women?

To be honest, and sorry if I am wrong, you sound like someone who had these views before and thought putting them in the "changed" context which you did would make people think "oh well if he changed suddenly, maybe its all right."

I think my biggest problem is accepting that you had these collections of beliefs and were able to then conform to the opposite so quickly.

In your original post you also seem to be confusing religion and nationality. Also, go to any strong capitalist country and chances are you will find large ethnic populations. At this stage in capitalism's growth, immigration is going to occur. Instead of complaining, set up your own party that supports a different political ideology.

Finally, i find it funny that immigration has been described as "flooding in" yet after 60 years of this so called "liberal" immigration policy, less then 8% of our country is made up of non-white Brits and ethnic populations. Call me unbritish and neg rep me or whatever but i think this whole immigration thing is yet another topic people use to insult the running of this country. If you think its **** then go to somalia or somewhere. Im sure many would prefer a hardworking Fillipino here to a White British person who clocks up assault charges and complains about everything the government does.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.