Turn on thread page Beta

I've only just realised how bad immigration is actually getting... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    A) I am very interested in statistics which prove that immigrants are a net benefit to the UK in a purely financial sense.
    Are you kidding or what?
    Economics is a social science, it's not math. But it's pretty common sense that immigrants per se ARE NOT bad for our economy.

(Original post by RyanT)
    B) Some of us don't even care if A) is met, I live in a society, not a branch of a multinational company. The social cost is not worth it. I do not accept the crime waves associated with immigrants, nor do I accept the change to the culture in English cities. I personally no longer call London or Birmingham or Manchester English cities - simply because they aren't.

Oh, but I support this argument.

Mind you, I'm not English. I'm Italian. After my degree I'll most likely bugger off. I don't consider myself an immigrant.
    Not sure what's your view on white EU people coming in.

But I can tell you that multiculturalism makes me sick. Both here and in my home country.

Every people has its own nation, and it should remain like that. If someone wants to change nation, he's welcome in my book, but only if he respects the place he goes to live in and actively tries to mingle. Not to bring his own country (first culture, then law) where he goes.

It is clear that Europe has reached the amount of immigrants it can absorbe. It's now like if there were foreign territories inside our countries. It makes me laugh that we have our soldiers out in foreign territory, while we're losing our own territory back home.

I can tell you that the situation in Italy it's much worse than here, because immigrants don't speak a single word of our language, and therefore they remain in their own communities much more than here.

Then crime is another matter altogether.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)

People should, by all means, be allowed to move to the UK and contribute to our economy and to our social structure but when they don't make an effort to even learn our language, when they say our queen is useless, when they say our government doesn't help them...it makes me angry and more than that, it makes me sad.

/rant>
    It makes me sad when people think all non whites and immigrants should kiss the pavement and hold shrines to her royal majesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rabbits_eat_tigers)
    I agree with the thread starter completely! and as for Britain being a multi-cultural country only works if the cultures entering respect the culture already here. Britain is so eager to soak up every one else's culture claiming to be a "multi-cultural country" that its sold its own identity off. Britain now couldnt hold a candle to Britain back in the day. It needs to grow a backbone and start looking after the people already here. Im not saying white people here either so no one try and claim rascism. People who are born in a country can full well claim that this is their nationality just as long as they also understand that just because their parents are for example from pakinstan doesnt mean that they are pakistanny themselves they are British, if their parents want to live in this country then they should respect it just as much as they would their own. The system these days look after immigrants a gell of a lot more than its own people. Its selling all british people out just to save face with the rest of the world. Britain needs to grow a back bone and not be afraid to say no **** off.
    Errr no!

If my parents are Pakistani (spell it properly) then I am British Pakistani

My true heritage is Pakistani, but I also adhere to some things in British culture (being born here).

However, I can never fully assimilate into British culture, or fully accept British culture since I see drinking alcohol as being wrong, meat from pig should not be eaten and the whole idea of girls dressing nearly naked as wrong.

So if I do not accept these things, does that mean I shouldn't be in this country?

Because that's what I see British culture as being. It's either this or you can go way back to Anglo-Saxon culture and live like savages (that's true British culture)

As far as I am concerned, Britain has no culture that is purely British. Most of the things done now that are deemed to 'British' are inherited from the Normans (French culture etc). Even the patron saint of England isn't British.

Oh and have I forgot to mention that Britain took over half of the world and enforced their supposed culture on other countries (especially India).

Typical hypocritical British people I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    they say our queen is useless
    I think most British people would say that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionnightmare)
    Half this damn country isn't white anymore.
    I think you may be rounding up considerably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    There's too many coloured people in the country, both immigrant and non-immigrant. Britian, if it is to sustain any sort of collective culture and identity, must remain above 90% white - in much the same way that Japan must remain +90% Japanese, Nigeria +90% black and so on. This slow descent into global homogenisation is a very depressing thing.
    Fail.

Most whites aren't British.

Most blacks aren't Nigerian.

ReputationRep:
    so you seem to believe that because Britain went out and took over half of the world you now have the right to come over here and practically do the same thing??

yep were the hypocrits, British people of today should not be forced to be held accountable for what their ancestors did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qaz25)
    meat from pig should not be eaten

What about Bacon?

Even vegetarians like Bacon!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTq6aME3Tf8

ReputationRep:
    I have always been fairly left-wing, supporting immigration, going on about how ethnic minorities should not be discriminated against, immigration wasn't too big of a problem etc. Often I waved off conversations about the extent of immigration, the loss of the nation's identity and grim predictions such as Britain becoming a Muslim country in the next 100 years, and the like, seeing them as over the top comments made out of ignorance.

Over the past few weeks however, I've really started noticing how serious the situation is. My aunt works as a GP in a 'walk in' centre in Buckinghamshire, and she has always voted labour and defended immigration. I was alarmed when she sat at a dinner table over Christmas and for about half an hour spoke about how:

1) Hours and hours of time and money are wasted on the NHS due to first generation immigrants from all places visiting 3 or 4 times per month for absolutely absurd things such as a cough, arguing with health professionals about the best treatment, demanding antibiotics despite being told they won't help. Then coming out with absurd comments about how 'Britain owes it to (insert country) for what you 150 years ago' Furthering the point, apparently figures from last month at this practise (situated in a town in which 80% of the population is supposedly white) 80% of patients were not from this country.

2) On maternity wards you can almost guarentee that the parents will not be white. Apparently 45% of all races having babies are Muslim. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how quickly this will become a problem.

After said conversation, I decided to pay more attention to what is going on around us, and that's when it hit me. Half this damn country isn't white anymore. I was in a train station last night with over 30 people in queues for tickets. I was the only white person. In town earlier this morning, the same story. I literally felt like a minority in what is supposed to be a Christian country.

I doubt anyone watched it, but Muslim driving school illustrated a point to me which really got me thinking. A 'well off' Muslim family who could afford maids, butlers etc in their country, came here with 4 children to get them into British schools in order to give them a good education and go far in life back home. 2 of them were attending very competitive schools in this country, ie, taking away places for some children who would have stayed here after their education. The economic consequences of immigration are going to get very serious if this keeps going.

It's all well and good for us middleclass kids to sit around claiming that there isn't a problem with immigration. But there sure as hell is. I have no problem with immigrants. But I think the gates need closing now and there needs to an appeal to a lot of these people (first generation who have been here for under 5 years) to go home. Things are getting way out of hand.
    just remember when white middle class people migrated to countries and colonialised them, so the least this country could do for ******* up their counties is letting them live here.

if you lived in a poverty stricken country, you would understand why people come here.

let me guess, your white and middle class

I'm black and I;m christian, not all Christians are white

why are you whites scared of Muslims?

I hope Muslims take over, and immigrants take over this country, it would be funny to see.!!!

ReputationRep:
    i couldn't understand why people went on about white people being a minority and immigration but i did kinda get the point when i watched the news and saw a london school class with one white person in it.

That was a ******* shock to me, i live in east kent where its 97% white or something so to me it was a novelty having a black person in our class, so immigration doesn't effect me but i can understand how some people might not like being in a minority in a country that historically is ethnically white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Fail.

Most whites aren't British.

Most blacks aren't Nigerian.
    Granted. My post should read white-British and black-Nigerian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    What about Bacon?

Even vegetarians like Bacon!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTq6aME3Tf8
    I actually Lol'd at the end of that

ReputationRep:
    I like how including some rough percentages in his dinnertable anecdote makes the OP thinks his argument is credible.

I would have been just as unconvinced if she'd sat down and said 'THERE ARE OVER 9000.'

ReputationRep:
    I hope Muslims take over, and immigrants take over this country, it would be funny to see.!!!
    Women having to completely cover up, prohibition of alcohol, people being stoned to death.

You're right, Sharia Law does sound like a bit of a giggle.

ReputationRep:
    OP has a fair point, immigration is and has been out of control. The fact is, it should be based on economic benefit. If a migrant does not contribute or be seen to be able to contribute then they should be automatically refused entry. Of course were in the EU now so we can't do things that make sense. But it is not our responsibility to feed and house the world.

Of course, you might argue that people are from war torn lands, oppressed and all the rest of it. But they should contribute to their own economy's and try to solve these problems (revolution) rather than taking the easy way out and fleeing. Rome wasen't built in a day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    I am blonde with blue eyes, still i am an immigrant, i love this country. Do you hate me?
    Piss off back to Austria

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what you are saying if we lived in a perfect market, however you aren't taking into account a few factors. For example, the costs of training more people to work in healthcare and the length of time it would take. At the moment the problem is that the demand for extra healthcare is not being met, instead causing medical practioners to meet 'targets' for the number of people they see, decreasing the time spent with them, thus lowering the standard of the service. Not to mention the equipment is becoming more limited and 'shared' between doctors to save on budgets. Many medical centres are now NHS sponsored private practises run by GP's who are ultimately looking to make a profit, often hiring nurses to do their jobs for them, in turn causing staff shortages in less appealing jobs - hospital wards etc.

I can see what you're saying, and you made a good point.

But this is the problem of our governments that are always keen to cut welfare and services to the people. Not increasing the budget when there is an increased demand for that service is a form of cutting.

So the problem you describe is the government EXPLOITING the situation to just lower the NHS funding (but still getting the taxes from those immigrants).
    More patients? just hire more doctors.
    I know they don't do it, but then whose fault is it?

I agree even on the time issue. A country needs time to absorb immigration, most of all if it comes without a broad range of skills.

If you want to stop immigration because of a "social cost" I might agree with you. But I just don't like the pinpointing of a single immigrant as job stealer and the cause of bad public services.

ReputationRep:
    so you seem to believe that because Britain went out and took over half of the world you now have the right to come over here and practically do the same thing??

yep were the hypocrits, British people of today should not be forced to be held accountable for what their ancestors did.
    The difference is that this time it's not being done violently.

Have the 'immigrants' usurped power and completely modified our parliamentary system?

I don't think so....

ReputationRep:

Well err yeh.

There's no divine law to say that people from foreign countries can't take over Britain. According to Atheists, you should be able to do anything as there is not God to stop you.

The Earth is for everyone... no divine law said to me or you or anyone else that this land can only be lived on by those who are ancestors of people who lived here many thousands of years ago :rolleyes:

shouldn't be held to be accountable for what their ancestors did yet we MUST live like their ancestors did in order to be classified as British... according to some BNP and other right-wing groups. There we go.... you led yourself onto that hypocritical view.

ReputationRep:
    seriously get real. If the only thing you can about right now is immigration u need to get a life or just get laid.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.