Turn on thread page Beta

I've only just realised how bad immigration is actually getting... watch

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people just get along, sigh. Most Muslims are not trying to take over England, apart from the jackasses you constantly see on the news who definitely are the overwhelming minority. I agree that immigration needs to be controlled more efficiently however the nonsense of Sharia law in England is laughable, i can honestly say most Muslims would vote against it! never mind other religions and non-believers.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that Immigration is a problem,but I completely lost any respect I had for your argument when you started bleating about the country no longer being "white".

Having come from a country where it's practically impossible to meet someone who isn't white, I was always proud to have moved to a country where people respect diversity and can live together in such a multicultural society.I think it's sad that you consider that a problem.

If you're going to argue about immigration,you should consider the fact that the idea of a white country is ridiculous and not really a good thing in 2010 and that you cant generalise every immigrant with some story you heard from your aunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    I think it'd be nice to walk down to the shop hearing people around me talking in English and actually being able to understand employees in a shop or in fact any interaction with other people. It's kind of what I expect in my own country, y'know?

British culture is all about Christmas, tea, bangers n mash, Sunday roast etc. All this is British culture, but now it is nothing like this here and is getting increasingly worse I can't even begin to describe it all.

I'll say this again; I am ashamed and lost.
    are you being a retard? you can still have your sunday roast and fish and chips no immigrant is gonna come and stop you eating that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Y'know, I've only read the first half a page of this thread, but what you've said has actually struck a nerve with me. My best friend is an immigrant from Uzbekistan. Her family were fairly well off in comparison to some families I see on my streets today, but they fled the country after being religiously persecuted. They're Christians, Uzbekistan is a predominately Muslim country. Lusi is rich, but her religion made it unsafe for her to stay in Uzbekistan.

And FYI, my mother and my boyfriends mother both work in a hospitals, and out of all the doctors they work with, they've both said that the white, native Britons are the laziest doctors they work with. The british doctors delegate all the work to their subordinates and leave the lions share of the work to others. The Filipino cleaner that my mother has recently befriended works as many hours as she can in order to send money back home to her two daughters in order to ensure that they have a decent upbringing.

And what's this about 45% of babies being born are Muslim? According to National Statistics Online, 71.6% of people in the UK are Christian, whilst only 2.7% are Muslim. Maybe in some towns, 45% of babies being born ARE Muslim, but I doubt that statistic applies over the entirety of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    how the **** can you be born a muslim/christian?

ReputationRep:
    Lol so to be a Christian you have to be white? Most Christians in this country seem to not be white. Most of the doctors are Asian too, Asians work hard its part of their cultures, a lot of them want to work out of the poverty they came from and find a better life in the UK.The thing about wasting NHS resources as if white and black people don't do it too, what your aunt has seen isn't representative of the rest of the nation. The thing about the train queues well when i got on the train back in years 9-11 i was the only black person on the train other than my sister, did it bother me? no, it was probably because most of were white high flying city workers going to victoria.

btw muslim is not a race its a religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    are you being a retard? you can still have your sunday roast and fish and chips no immigrant is gonna come and stop you eating that :rolleyes:
    Haha, a floating beard steals your Christmas tree and your roast :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    As was actually born in Hammersmith prick so this country is mine as much as it is yours. Secondly you CANNOT change your native language it is your native language FOR LIFE. The best you can do is learn to pick up English as your second language which is what in realtiy the majority immigrants in this country do. despite the claims of ingnorant xenophobes like you
    I never suggested they change their native language, I suggested they used English.... being in England and all that.......

Ignorant? Defiantly not, you'll see my posts contain a large amount of facts, based on what I see and what I read, as well as interpretations of events. Often referenced or sourced if required.

Xenophobic? Not really, but in this day and age it never pays to be too careful. Home grown terrorism is a real problem.

Sources;
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ts-498611.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...errorists.html

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/u...the-us-and-uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    I think it'd be nice to walk down to the shop hearing people around me talking in English and actually being able to understand employees in a shop or in fact any interaction with other people. It's kind of what I expect in my own country, y'know?

British culture is all about Christmas, tea, bangers n mash, Sunday roast etc. All this is British culture, but now it is nothing like this here and is getting increasingly worse I can't even begin to describe it all.

I'll say this again; I am ashamed and lost.
    HAHA this shows how stupid people like you are. Christmas is not British at all. It is the celebration of the birth of a middle eastern Jew. Where there is a character with the dutch name Santa Claus who was modelled after a Greek saint. Not to mention that the date of christmas was chosen by Rome (which is in Italy). And where people put presents under a Christmas tree a tradition that Prince Albert brought from Prussia. There is nothing english about Christmas. Tea is also not British it is something that Britain borrowed from Chinese and Indian culture. I'm sorry but if British culture is under such threat when only 8% of the country are of 'immigrant descent' then it really wasn't that strong to begin with

ReputationRep:
    even if all the non 'english' people left this country

we wouldn't be anywhere like it was 20 years ago. english people have changed - forever.

in this english utopia there seems to be the notion that all english throughbreds are perfect - far from it children.

the britain of the 70s 80s or even 90s will never come back - get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    you seem to be mixing up race, religion and colour.

surely it would be better just to regulate immigration better. let only the most needy into the country - those fleeing violence, war and poverty - and question whether or not people should be allowed into the country simply because.

i do see problems with immigration. i hate how all immigrants are sent to certain areas, poor areas, like where I live. my area has recently become like a ghetto and people of English origin are in the minority. There is a huge amount of racial tension here, i think because people feel threatened by the influx of immigrants.

but most of the time, i think the hatred againt immigrants is purely down to to ignorance. people lump black people, muslims and terrorists and immigrants all together. they all become dangerous people out to get us 'pure english', when in reality, most simply want a better life and to embrance English culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    I wasnt in my sodding car. I was on a bike and have ears. :rolleyes: And yes, people in Peckham might speak English to you, but amongst themselves they speak foreign tongues, and when there are no English people to talk to they invariable go back to their native languages.

Ok so they speak English which is what you wanted right ?
    but why the hell is it wrong for them to speak their native language between themselves...obviously the conversation wasn't meant for you so why the hell should you care if they weren't speaking english?
    All i want to know is if they speak english to you or to english people why is it then wrong for them to go back to their native language between themselves????
    IT'S THEIR NATIVE TONGUE FFS ! AND THEY ARE ENTITLED TO SPEAK IT :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    The state wastes huge amounts of money on immigrants; houses, schooling, NHS, benefits and the like. We see very little of the benefits of this, as often the people have such low paying jobs, if they have jobs at all, as to not cover their own costs to the taxpayer.
    Really?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f49b7438-772...nclick_check=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rezarf)
    Completely agree
    My school is an muslim dominated area within a very middle class town
    But all the muslims are happy to segregate themselves from many of their peers, by hanging around in groups trying to intimidate others
    And things like the mosque pass are taken the piss out of
    The school just gives them out to kids claiming to go to the mosque when you can see them in the flipping chip shop!
    It's just a joke and im not racist, im happy for people to come to this country to pay their way make a living and spend it here
    People who just send money home though arent welcome im afraid, Why do we want to give jobs to people who want to take the money out of the economy when there are other Britains who want the job it and will spend it here?
    No comments on the upper portion of your post. I'm Muslim and I'v come across 'Muslims' who do what you'v described above. Not pleasant at all.
    But the last part was just outright silly..and for several reasons:

1) Some poor countries only have a stable balance of payments situation, hence a stable economy because of remittance inflow. Yet nearly 70% of the remittance is from the Middle East in my country.

2) Some countries have laws where they allow concessional tax rates for those multinational companies which offload shares in the operating country, but are unable to completely restrict money being siphoned out. Some also require a % percentage of the retained profit to be re-invested in the operating country.They can't restrict it completely, because its just stupid. Its the company's money, it should decide where it wants to spend it.

3) To supplement my previous point- You're speaking as though these people who send money to their native countries earn it through illegal means or evade tax. They are free to send money where they want, when they want after they have paid their taxes (as long as they don't finance terrorists).

4) Many, many British citizens work in Middle Eastern companies because of their lucrative salaries and 0% tax. Just how they are free to bring it into the UK, same should apply for people working in the UK.
    And most of the time countries benefit from foreign workers. They get cheap workers to work in the real estate business from the Indian subcontinent. The native people mostly complain saying that they are deprived of jobs because to the firms the foreign (low paid) workers help them maximise profits. Whereas, your complain is that money is being leaked out of the country.

Only shows that either way u can never be kept happy.
    Plus, I'm sure the government is there to worry about it. No country, imo is stupid enough to worry about migrant workers while forgetting how screwed up the BOP is getting.

ReputationRep:
    For me, your arguments were discredited as soon as you described muslim as a race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    HAHA this shows how stupid people like you are. Christmas is not British at all. It is the celebration of the birth of a middle eastern Jew. Where there is a character with the dutch name Santa Claus who was modelled after a Greek saint. Not to mention that the date of christmas was chosen by Rome (which is in Italy). And where people put presents under a Christmas tree a tradition that Prince Albert brought from Prussia. There is nothing english about Christmas. Tea is also not British it is something that Britain borrowed from Chinese and Indian culture. I'm sorry but if British culture is under such threat when only 8% of the country are of 'immigrant descent' then it really wasn't that strong to begin with
    Although that post is indeed retarded, I don't think yours makes makes much sense either, over time these things have, over time, become part of British culture even if they originated from other countries, what matters is that British people enjoy doing these things which they do.

So from your point of view Japanese culture would not be "that strong" because most of it is borrowed from Chinese culture...that's not really the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionnightmare)
    I have always been fairly left-wing, supporting immigration, going on about how ethnic minorities should not be discriminated against, immigration wasn't too big of a problem etc. Often I waved off conversations about the extent of immigration, the loss of the nation's identity and grim predictions such as Britain becoming a Muslim country in the next 100 years, and the like, seeing them as over the top comments made out of ignorance.

Over the past few weeks however, I've really started noticing how serious the situation is. My aunt works as a GP in a 'walk in' centre in Buckinghamshire, and she has always voted labour and defended immigration. I was alarmed when she sat at a dinner table over Christmas and for about half an hour spoke about how:

1) Hours and hours of time and money are wasted on the NHS due to first generation immigrants from all places visiting 3 or 4 times per month for absolutely absurd things such as a cough, arguing with health professionals about the best treatment, demanding antibiotics despite being told they won't help. Then coming out with absurd comments about how 'Britain owes it to (insert country) for what you 150 years ago' Furthering the point, apparently figures from last month at this practise (situated in a town in which 80% of the population is supposedly white) 80% of patients were not from this country.

2) On maternity wards you can almost guarentee that the parents will not be white. Apparently 45% of all races having babies are Muslim. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how quickly this will become a problem.

After said conversation, I decided to pay more attention to what is going on around us, and that's when it hit me. Half this damn country isn't white anymore. I was in a train station last night with over 30 people in queues for tickets. I was the only white person. In town earlier this morning, the same story. I literally felt like a minority in what is supposed to be a Christian country.

I doubt anyone watched it, but Muslim driving school illustrated a point to me which really got me thinking. A 'well off' Muslim family who could afford maids, butlers etc in their country, came here with 4 children to get them into British schools in order to give them a good education and go far in life back home. 2 of them were attending very competitive schools in this country, ie, taking away places for some children who would have stayed here after their education. The economic consequences of immigration are going to get very serious if this keeps going.

It's all well and good for us middleclass kids to sit around claiming that there isn't a problem with immigration. But there sure as hell is. I have no problem with immigrants. But I think the gates need closing now and there needs to an appeal to a lot of these people (first generation who have been here for under 5 years) to go home. Things are getting way out of hand.

Something like 95% of this country is white

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m0man)
    This is the response of someone who can't think of a counter-argument so instead looks for technical mistakes.
    No this is the post of someone who thinks the ammount of people in England who can't read or write good coherent English is a problem itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat1992)
    you seem to be mixing up race, religion and colour.

surely it would be better just to regulate immigration better. let only the most needy into the country - those fleeing violence, war and poverty - and question whether or not people should be allowed into the country simply because.

i do see problems with immigration. i hate how all immigrants are sent to certain areas, poor areas, like where I live. my area has recently become like a ghetto and people of English origin are in the minority. There is a huge amount of racial tension here, i think because people feel threatened by the influx of immigrants.

but most of the time, i think the hatred againt immigrants is purely down to to ignorance. people lump black people, muslims and terrorists and immigrants all together. they all become dangerous people out to get us 'pure english', when in reality, most simply want a better life and to embrance English culture.
    Perfectly said

ReputationRep:
    ask anyone, what is British culture, they will struggle to answer, maybe they will say tea but not much more than that. All these cultures have been force upon us leaving an indistinguishable mess, like splatting paint all over the Hay Wain Jackson Pollock style.
    Then people want to get rid of the monarchy, errr isn't that the last tradition we have??

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.