Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've only just realised how bad immigration is actually getting... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    Although that post is indeed retarded, I don't think yours makes makes much sense either, over time these things have, over time, become part of British culture even if they originated from other countries, what matters is that British people enjoy doing these things which they do.

So from your point of view Japanese culture would not be "that strong" because most of it is borrowed from Chinese culture...that's not really the point.
    No the point I was making was that if British culture was so strong then it wouldn't be under this apparently huge threat despite the fact that the population is still comprised of about 92% white British people. My point makes exact sense as I was trying to imply that cultures are not isolated and static they are gna change over time and be influenced by other cultures

ReputationRep:
    Also, being born Muslim isn't possible. Being born into a muslim family, and being raised as a muslim is what I think you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    No this is the post of someone who thinks the ammount of people in England who can't read or write good coherent English is a problem itself.
    It's a forum, not A-level coursework....

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why everybody feels that the immigrants are in the wrong? Give me one reason why you deserve to live here more than someone born abroad. It'll make a change from the relentless spouting of unfounded figures and racist propaganda in middle class dressing.

(Original post by Riderz)
    This gave us about 800 years to "create" British culture. In that time we had the slave trade...
    I'm sorry, did you just brag about the slave trade? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    HAHA this shows how stupid people like you are. Christmas is not British at all. It is the celebration of the birth of a middle eastern Jew. Where there is a character with the dutch name Santa Claus who was modelled after a Greek saint. Not to mention that the date of christmas was chosen by Rome (which is in Italy). And where people put presents under a Christmas tree a tradition that Prince Albert brought from Prussia. There is nothing english about Christmas. Tea is also not British it is something that Britain borrowed from Chinese and Indian culture. I'm sorry but if British culture is under such threat when only 8% of the country are of 'immigrant descent' then it really wasn't that strong to begin with
    British christmas, or yule as it's otherwise known, has been celebrated in this country long before the birth of Christ. It's part of our northern european culture which is now being eroded by outsiders who don't want to adapt.

British culture has absorbed and been enriched by foreign influences, but that does not mean that foreigners should come over here without integrating. What sort of society are you living in if you can't relate to your neighbour?

ReputationRep:
    Dam immigrants...
    We invite them over to work for pittence to help the economy grow and to take many jobs others dont want - Now if I run them down in my bently they want bandages, you say?

*Yawn*, please stop ready the dail mail.
    Of course heathcare costs money for us all, but you have to remember many of the immigrant are also speanding money here and working jobs, helping generate money for the country.
    However, yes, you will get immigrants who are not working, just living off benefits. However you will also find many "british" people living of benefits, contributing nothing to society.

ReputationRep:
    No the point I was making was that if British culture was so strong then it wouldn't be under this apparently huge threat despite the fact that the population is still comprised of about 92% white British people. My point makes exact sense as I was trying to imply that cultures are not isolated and static they are gna change over time and be influenced by other cultures
    k must have misread your post:yy:

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand what the fuss is about ...THe british Government has posted ads or recruiting people in common wealth countries for employment because the british people you speak of are either too lazy or not enough qualified for the job..So what does the government do they get people for cheap labour from third world countries to get the jobe done in quicker time with less people and less money ..It is not the problem of the people who come here , it is indeed your governments fault..
    I am indian and not a muslim, and been here for the right reasons..but its not good when people shout at you paki or refuse to shake your hand...

And just to point out :
    There was mass immigration from britian and they almost conquered most of india ...Perhaps its history repeating itsef

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwb)
    I don't understand why everybody feels that the immigrants are in the wrong? Give me one reason why you deserve to live here more than someone born abroad. It'll make a change from the relentless spouting of unfounded figures and racist propaganda in middle class dressing.
    Rep+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazedmonkey09)
    ask anyone, what is British culture, they will struggle to answer, maybe they will say tea but not much more than that. All these cultures have been force upon us leaving an indistinguishable mess, like splatting paint all over the Hay Wain Jackson Pollock style.
    Then people want to get rid of the monarchy, errr isn't that the last tradition we have??
    I think its good that your getting the taste of your own medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    Some people just can't accept the fact that this country is changing. Also, so what ifpeople don't make an effort to learn or integrate into our culture, espicially if your the type of person who goes a broad and goes around saying. "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH", pauses then thinks to themselves maybe they didn't understand, Yells even louder "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH" then considers that individual an idiot for not understanding.
    Also why are people afraid of muslims? Its pathetic.
    So what you're saying is: Some people can't accept the fact that Britain is changing into a country with no prevalent culture or language? i.e., a barely British country? Why should Britons accept that? Any immigrant that comes to Britain should fit in with British beliefs, language and culture. Religion is not a large part of it in my opinion - believe what you like, but it shouldn't impact on how you integrate into the country you choose to live in. If you don't wish to speak english and share british culture/beliefs, then do not move to Britain.

I wouldn't stereotype people. Not everyone is an ignorant Basil Fawlty type, many of us deal with 90%+ foreigners and immigrants every day and don't just scream in their faces. I'm not a racist, but I do have a sense of British pride and it's quite obvious to see that immigration needs to be more tightly controlled.

ReputationRep:
    I'll ask you all a streight question, and I don't want you to do the typical leftist thing and turn it into a discussion or ask me one back that makes no sense and without answering mine directly;

If there were no muslims in this country and no illegal immigrants, how would the country be different to what it is like now.

The answer is obvious to me, but I want some of the lefties on here to tell me.

EDIT - Something tells me I won't get a streight reply, and I'm going to be asked hundreds of questions back. Something, I can't think what, also tells me that this simple question will turn into a discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebbson)
    I like how including some rough percentages in his dinnertable anecdote makes the OP thinks his argument is credible.

I would have been just as unconvinced if she'd sat down and said 'THERE ARE OVER 9000.'
    1) It's not an argument, it's me expressing my sudden (dramatic) change in point of view.

2) The only factual figure was the one from her practise (seen as she's a partner in the place I am hardly going to doubt it) The ward number I agree, is pretty suspect.

ReputationRep:
    lol. I was actually thinking the exact same thing. That it is hugley ironic that people are so scared of what is in reality a small numbr of immigrants damaging British culture when the British actually made conscious attempts in the colonial era to do it to places such as India, Nigeria, Hong Kong. Including FORCING the english language on people

ReputationRep:
    HAHA this shows how stupid people like you are. Christmas is not British at all. It is the celebration of the birth of a middle eastern Jew. Where there is a character with the dutch name Santa Claus who was modelled after a Greek saint. Not to mention that the date of christmas was chosen by Rome (which is in Italy). And where people put presents under a Christmas tree a tradition that Prince Albert brought from Prussia. There is nothing english about Christmas. Tea is also not British it is something that Britain borrowed from Chinese and Indian culture. I'm sorry but if British culture is under such threat when only 8% of the country are of 'immigrant descent' then it really wasn't that strong to begin with
    Point taken, however I was aiming more toward Muslim immigration and the intrusion of Islam in this country rather than any European immigration as I don't mind foreign people but I think Muslims and Asians are taking the piss tbh.

In fact I'd love to travel Europe because I would like to experience their cultures so have no problem with them emigrating here, just I dislike the mass migration of Muslims and the resulting attacks from Islamic extremists. I think you're lumping me in with the no-brainers but to be fair there are some common sense people around (to a degree :p: ).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Riderz)
    I wasnt in my sodding car. I was on a bike and have ears. :rolleyes: And yes, people in Peckham might speak English to you, but amongst themselves they speak foreign tongues, and when there are no English people to talk to they invariable go back to their native languages.
    And why shouldn't they speak in their native tongues? I didn't think it was a crime to speak a language other than English!

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely, immigration must decrease!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I'll ask you all a streight question, and I don't want you to do the typical leftist thing and turn it into a discussion or ask me one back that makes no sense and without answering mine directly;

If there were no muslims in this country and no illegal immigrants, how would the country be different to what it is like now.

The answer is obvious to me, but I want some of the lefties on here to tell me.

EDIT - Something tells me I won't get a streight reply, and I'm going to be asked hundreds of questions back. Something, I can't think what, also tells me that this simple question will turn into a discussion.
    I thought you died :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwb)
    I'm sorry, did you just brag about the slave trade? :rolleyes:
    No, I mentioned it as a significant event which contributed to British culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rainbow*)
    And why shouldn't they speak in their native tongues? I didn't think it was a crime to speak a language other than English!
    don't take offence to the comments of the racists. TSR is a haven for the racists and xenophobes

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.