Turn on thread page Beta

I've only just realised how bad immigration is actually getting... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    lol. I was actually thinking the exact same thing. That it is hugley ironic that people are so scared of what is in reality a small numbr of immigrants damaging British culture when the British actually made conscious attempts in the colonial era to do it to places such as India, Nigeria, Hong Kong. Including FORCING the english language on people
    How is it ironic? Do our generation have anything to do with the Empire? of course not.

Anyways, the English language is the greatest gift the Empire gave to the world, those countries you mentioned have greatly benefited from colonization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rainbow*)
    And why shouldn't they speak in their native tongues? I didn't think it was a crime to speak a language other than English!
    If they choose to come to this country they must speak this language at all times, barring, of course, tourism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rainbow*)
    And why shouldn't they speak in their native tongues? I didn't think it was a crime to speak a language other than English!
    Its not a crime, its antisocial and creates divides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frieza)
    I can see what you're saying, and you made a good point.

But this is the problem of our governments that are always keen to cut welfare and services to the people. Not increasing the budget when there is an increased demand for that service is a form of cutting.

So the problem you describe is the government EXPLOITING the situation to just lower the NHS funding (but still getting the taxes from those immigrants).
    More patients? just hire more doctors.
    I know they don't do it, but then whose fault is it?

I agree even on the time issue. A country needs time to absorb immigration, most of all if it comes without a broad range of skills.

If you want to stop immigration because of a "social cost" I might agree with you. But I just don't like the pinpointing of a single immigrant as job stealer and the cause of bad public services.
    My original post wasn't intended on being a well thought out essay on immigration gone mad, and I admit I didn't support my points effectively. You can't really apply textbook economics to something as complicated as the NHS without looking around for figures.

I've said this earlier, but I don't have a problem with immigrants as it does provide a larger pool of workers, allowing more efficiency, and when there is an output gap it can help increase aggregate supply. The problem is though, this is only beneficial for so long. My issue isn't 'job stealing' it's in part the loss of national identity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    If they choose to come to this country they must speak this language at all times, barring, of course, tourism.
    People have the right to speak any language they want

ReputationRep:
    lol. I was actually thinking the exact same thing. That it is hugley ironic that people are so scared of what is in reality a small numbr of immigrants damaging British culture when the British actually made conscious attempts in the colonial era to do it to places such as India, Nigeria, Hong Kong. Including FORCING the english language on people
    Thats only little compared to the atrocity commmited when they were there..

ReputationRep:
    I thought you died :confused:
    I did!

No seriously though, you're referring to my threads etc yes? I'm going through a rough time still but getting better I think, just need to take it easy.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Anyways, the English language is the greatest gift the Empire gave to the world, those countries you mentioned have greatly benefited from colonization.
    And yet my friend why do you disregard the joys and gifts brought by immigration ..afterall they are here because you needed them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1gringo)
    Muslim is not a race its a religion called Islam MORON !! Surely being middle class and educated you would know have known that basic Religious Education GCSE.

Not all Muslims are non white. Surely being educated at middle class institution about human geography you would know that.

If your stats are correct how do you know these so called Muslim race are White English people that hav converted to Islam ????

Spain , Dubai , Greece, France, Morocco all you see on those programmes is people re-locating to other countries ? And what about all those countries having there hospitals filled with non-native patients and British pregnant mothers ? And there school places taken up by British people who have rubbed a few pennies together and due to the currency exchange think their rich in these countries ? When in fact people on those shows are working class people claiming to be middle class but you can clearly see that their working class through there intelligence or lack of it. COUGH COUGH

OH GOD. Precisely, '45% of races... are muslim' - indicating that 45% of people of ANY race are followers of Islam.

Then your second point makes me cringe. You can't even compare the number of immigrants to the tiny, tiny minority of expats.

I know my original post was poor, but come on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I did!

No seriously though, you're referring to my threads etc yes? I'm going through a rough time still but getting better I think, just need to take it easy.

thanks.
    Good to hear.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=revisionnightmare] Half this damn country isn't white anymore. I was in a train station last night with over 30 people in queues for tickets. I was the only white person. In town earlier this morning, the same story. I literally felt like a minority in what is supposed to be a Christian country. QUOTE]

91% of the country is white and it seems you have a problem with muslims and not all immigrants. It depends where in the country you live. Go to outer london and see if you feel like a minority there. Just because they are not white does not make them immigrants. Really you just need to stop complaining and stop reading the daily mail. I wonder where you plucked these random statistics from?

ReputationRep:
    Point taken, however I was aiming more toward Muslim immigration and the intrusion of Islam in this country rather than any European immigration as I don't mind foreign people but I think Muslims and Asians are taking the piss tbh.

In fact I'd love to travel Europe because I would like to experience their cultures so have no problem with them emigrating here, just I dislike the mass migration of Muslims and the resulting attacks from Islamic extremists. I think you're lumping me in with the no-brainers but to be fair there are some common sense people around (to a degree :p: ).
    and the justification being?

ReputationRep:
    There's not white or black people any more, nor muslims or christians. There's just rich people and poor people. And I propose we stop all poor people invading our rich culture. Of course, a government that restricted births would be far too invasive - rich people should pay less tax, and poor people should get no benefits. Pensions should be halved. All drugs should be legalized. Any provision of state aid for first generation immigrants should be abolished. If you don't pay a minimum level of tax, no NHS for you. Assisted suicide and euthanasia should be available for all to easily use. Fast paced lives of sex and substances are great, I'm not paying for people to retire at 60 and spend 20 years waiting to die. Enabling people to feel good should be the emphasis of our culture, whether it's nicontine or diazapan or heroin you want, it should all be there for you to buy at a low price. Sexual repression should be outlawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    move to the North
    Eh?

ReputationRep:
    Oh noez...Brown people, what you gonna do about us OP?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt agree, what you're saying is purely ignorant.

Im an immigrant myself and I see no reason why I should speak english, unless an english person is involved in the conversation.

As to immigrants clogging up the country, I have to say I think its fair, as long as they come here to benefit both them and the country they're in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrodite)
    "Boo-hoo oh deary me immigration is on the rise" Whatever!
    While immigration is undoubtedly an issue in Britain and many other places in the world, I think alot of people in the UK are just using it as an excuse to unleash their racist urges. Honestly, just get over it!
    Great response. Your not getting it though. It's nothing to do with racism. A month ago I couldn't care less either, but it's gone too far now. Immigrants are fine. Overcrowding, loss of culture etc is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    So what you're saying is: Some people can't accept the fact that Britain is changing into a country with no prevalent culture or language? i.e., a barely British country? Why should Britons accept that? Any immigrant that comes to Britain should fit in with British beliefs, language and culture. Religion is not a large part of it in my opinion - believe what you like, but it shouldn't impact on how you integrate into the country you choose to live in. If you don't wish to speak english and share british culture/beliefs, then do not move to Britain.

I wouldn't stereotype people. Not everyone is an ignorant Basil Fawlty type, many of us deal with 90%+ foreigners and immigrants every day and don't just scream in their faces. I'm not a racist, but I do have a sense of British pride and it's quite obvious to see that immigration needs to be more tightly controlled.
    To your point to +90% of us deal with foreigners and immigrants every day and don't just scream in their faces. I am just picking out the other 10% which is over represented just the same way most foreigners couldn't care less about british pride. I am just looking at it from a differnet angle.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionnightmare)
    Great response. Your not getting it though. It's nothing to do with racism. A month ago I couldn't care less either, but it's gone too far now. Immigrants are fine. Overcrowding, loss of culture etc is not.
    well not really... you either stop immigration or you dont ..
    Question to bordess and op:
    If you immigrated to say saudi arabia and you meet a british person do you speak to him in Arabic or English?

ReputationRep:
    **** off. People have the right to speak any language they want
    yes, they do, in their own damn country.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.