Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so ive had an offer from leeds, which have asked me for ABB (although theyre offes are between AAB-BBB they are giving people offers based on their goals). Anyway I know its going to be a real push to get these grades! I revise really hard and although I did badly in my january modules last year (i got BEE) I managed to finish my AS with ABCC. my teachers put my target grade as BBB but I'm really worried now...due to various situations my teachers have been absent on way too many occasions when my timetable is scheduled to have a quadruple lesson etc. to make matters worse Ive just done my biology exam, which initially felt confident and prepared only to have found it a complete disaster!
    Anyway I know its going to be really competitive this year with uni applications, and although I was already aware of this a report in the times has made me feel even worse: 'At leeds, Michael Arthur, the vice chancellor, said last weekend that a year ago would have required ABB at A level may now require AAB'
    I really dont want to end up in clearing but at the same time I really want to go to leeds!
    sorry for the long post!

ReputationRep:
    Where else have you applied to? Are they lower grade requirements?

I want to go to York which I need AAB for, but I am worried I won't get it. My additional problem is that I've been terrible ill for the past 2 weeks; just what I need for exams.

If you have applied to other universities with slightly lower requirements, my suggestion is don't be too downhearted. It sucks to not get into your first choice.. but unfortunately it happens.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that you have the option of an insurance, meaning that you could in theory put Leeds as your firm and then a university with a much lower requirement as your insurance. Should you fail to get into Leeds then hopefully you will still make the requirements of your insurance and can go there. This avoids the need for clearing altogether, so long as you meet the offer of your insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are in this position when a year or two ago they would have had a better chance of being accepted if they missed their offer by a grade.... all you can do is work very hard and have an insurance you will be happy to go to if you do not get into Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tara592)
    so ive had an offer from leeds, which have asked me for ABB (although theyre offes are between AAB-BBB they are giving people offers based on their goals). Anyway I know its going to be a real push to get these grades! I revise really hard and although I did badly in my january modules last year (i got BEE) I managed to finish my AS with ABCC. my teachers put my target grade as BBB but I'm really worried now...due to various situations my teachers have been absent on way too many occasions when my timetable is scheduled to have a quadruple lesson etc. to make matters worse Ive just done my biology exam, which initially felt confident and prepared only to have found it a complete disaster!
    Anyway I know its going to be really competitive this year with uni applications, and although I was already aware of this a report in the times has made me feel even worse: 'At leeds, Michael Arthur, the vice chancellor, said last weekend that a year ago would have required ABB at A level may now require AAB'
    I really dont want to end up in clearing but at the same time I really want to go to leeds!
    sorry for the long post!
    I'm in the same position really. Except my Leeds offer is AAB, but my AS grades were the same as yours, and I don't think I'm going to meet my offer. I'm going to put it as my firm however, just in case I suprise myself - you never know, or manage to do a bit of persuading down the phone. Just pic a uni with more realistic requirements for your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh good luck then! okay I'll put it as my first choice and risk it
    if i managed to go up 2 grades for 2 subjects last year i should be able to do it again...maybe i'll quit my job too :P

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.