Turn on thread page Beta

D2 OCR Network Flows, please help, exam wednesday! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I seem to always get the questions like "find the value of this cut" wrong on the past papers, and although they're only worth a couple of marks, I'd like to sort it out. After turning to the OCR "Discrete Mathematics 2" textbook, I'm somewhat confused...
    Take example 2.2.1:
    "a.) The value of the cut is 4+1+6=11"... Ok, so far so good. They've added the capacities of the arcs in the direction of S-T, ignoring the one going backwards.
    However, in Exercise 2A: question 1. The values of C2 and C4 are 8+12=20 and 9+15=24, respectively. Now this is fine once again as CA with value 5 was ignored due to its direction, but they seem also to have ignored the arcs DA (for C2) and CB (for C4).
    Now in the examples, they take into account these "vertical" arcs, but in the exercises, they are to be ignored...

So I guess my question is, if a cut crosses a "vertical" arc, what do I do with that arc's capacity - add it, or ignore it?

Are they in the direction S-T or T-S?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    mehh no replies exam tomorrow... apologies for the double post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korobeiniki)
    Hey guys, I seem to always get the questions like "find the value of this cut" wrong on the past papers, and although they're only worth a couple of marks, I'd like to sort it out. After turning to the OCR "Discrete Mathematics 2" textbook, I'm somewhat confused...
    Take example 2.2.1:
    "a.) The value of the cut is 4+1+6=11"... Ok, so far so good. They've added the capacities of the arcs in the direction of S-T, ignoring the one going backwards.
    However, in Exercise 2A: question 1. The values of C2 and C4 are 8+12=20 and 9+15=24, respectively. Now this is fine once again as CA with value 5 was ignored due to its direction, but they seem also to have ignored the arcs DA (for C2) and CB (for C4).
    Now in the examples, they take into account these "vertical" arcs, but in the exercises, they are to be ignored...

So I guess my question is, if a cut crosses a "vertical" arc, what do I do with that arc's capacity - add it, or ignore it?

Are they in the direction S-T or T-S?

thanks.
    how did the exam go for you then?? what did u get for the dynamic programming question

ReputationRep:
    I got 7 tonnes then found a route of 8 by inspection and redid the question, good thing I spotted that I think, because I didn't get a chance to answer the last two parts of q6 properly. I finally got the hang of that ^^^ problem to any interested :P it came to me the night before the exam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.