Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've been referred to an Educational Psychologist after "passing" the initial test for Dyslexia which was done on a computer.

I know the meeting with the Psychologist will last about 3 hours or so, but what exaclty do they do? What questions do they ask?

Will they make me to any kind of mathmatical/spelling tests or anything like this?

I'm at university level if this effects how the tests are done.

Thanks, I'm just a bit nervous about it and don't really want to appear stupid!

Anon or delet, would rather keep private.

ReputationRep:
    there do lots of different tests, spelling, maths, memury, lots of things, dont worry about them though, you also do a genrel knolige test so thay can see if you can retain informotaion that you lernt a wile ago etc. there do reading aswell and writeing speed etc and your anser some questions.

you wont apear stupid so dont worry, just try your best. xx

ReputationRep:
    Don't be worried. Unless you get the prick women at my college who said I completly lacked in concentration? News to me...

Anyway, they basically check how fast you read, what you take in when you read, spelling etc. And dyslexia is nothing to be embarrassed about, many of the greats are/were dyslexic. It doesn't mean your thick, it just means that you think differently to other people which in my opinion is a good thing

ReputationRep:
    well, your one of the lucky ones if it turns out you are dyslexic, to get diagnosed i mean. The tests are standard that are done by an educational psychologist. Mine lasted for about 2+1/2 hours if i recall correctly. There's maths, spellings, original writing speed, reading speed, memory tests, puzzles ect ect. I'm not sure why you want to know this tbh, there's nothing to worry about, I found the test pretty fun. I also learnt a lot about myself from it, like that i'm supposedly good at maths (the guy had to actually stop me from answering more questions), and i considered myself pretty self-aware.

ReputationRep:
    Its not as bad as you think it's gonna be! I also did one of those tests on computer in Uni and it said bordeline dyslexia so had to see education psyc.The test was quite fun actually! Had a few tests of putting things in order, lots of reading out loud, spelling, stuff with blocks, and was timed with a lot of them.

I also had to walk in a straight line - one foot right in front of the other, backwards and forwards. ( I think that was to test if I had dyspraxia as my tutor thought I did!)
    But turns out i'm not dyslexic just slow at reading! i've found out something else about it - I have sensitive photoreceptors in my eyes as I hate bright lights so it makes it hard for me to read black and white paper in bright light situations like classrooms. That's why I actually prefer being in a room with dim lights! I also read in the dark at times.
    Never understood why before! >> It's called Irlen Syndrome if anyone was wondering who is similar to me!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've also been reccomended for an Irlens test after answering an initial questionnaire, so thanks for making me feel less nervous about it all, I guess I know what I'm in for now!

ReputationRep:
    When I did it I thought it was all rather fun. Examples of what you'll have to do:

Matching a picture with building blocks (each block is half red, half black),
    Flicking through a load of cartoons and stating what was wrong with each one (ex. fireplace producing smoke without fire).
    He will say words and you will have to spell them. Also, they'll say strings of letters youll have to remember and then you'll recite them backwards. Same thing but with numbers thrown in and youll have to separate them and recite them.
    I was presented with the start of sentences and had to finish them. I actually tried to make my sentences really funny, and didnt realise I was under a time limit for everything, bummer.
    Mental arithmetic.
    Logic testing (each letter of the alphabet will be given a new representation and you'll have to write a sequence of letters in the new rep)
    Reading comprehension.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been referred to an Educational Psychologist after "passing" the initial test for Dyslexia which was done on a computer.

I know the meeting with the Psychologist will last about 3 hours or so, but what exaclty do they do? What questions do they ask?

Will they make me to any kind of mathmatical/spelling tests or anything like this?

I'm at university level if this effects how the tests are done.

Thanks, I'm just a bit nervous about it and don't really want to appear stupid!

Anon or delet, would rather keep private.
    They do some tests, then decide you have dyslexia. They never turn around and say 'you aren't dyslexic you just can't spell'.

Funny that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I've also been reccomended for an Irlens test after answering an initial questionnaire, so thanks for making me feel less nervous about it all, I guess I know what I'm in for now!

glad to hear that. if you need to know anything about irlens then just give me a message or whatever - i have irlen syndrome, and had the initial test for it, and then for glasses for it. interesting stuff. you can have either irlens rather than dyslexia, or both, or just dyslexia. or neither of course

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.