Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you give me some examples of legal highs, their effect on you and do you think they should be made illigal or legal drugs legalaised? Also if you know what meow meow is that would be helpful cos i have no idea.

p.s. dont know if this is the right area to post but was the best i could think of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i took a 'legal equivelent' of both magic mushrooms and speed (very small amounts as i was being cautious) and i ended up in A and E. I had all over body pains, severe stomach ache, vomiting, racing heart, overstimulated to the point of insanity, and was hallucinating bady. (edit: and this bizzare cramping in my hands where they were locked in a backwards position and couldn't move them at all) so, overall it was pretty stupid and i think they should be banned.

stay away kiddies.
    Incredible! I'll take 4.

ReputationRep:
    Meow meow is mephedrone/4-MMC.

Look it up yourself there's loads online.

ReputationRep:
    Remember people they are only legal becuase there has not been enough time to do long term experiments on them to find out the side effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    it was a horrific experience and i could have died.

so KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.
    Ouch.

I am sorry though, I didn't mean to piss anyone off.

ReputationRep:
    I watched a TV show on the BBC a while back about them, and a doctor said he'd almost rather people took illegal drugs than their legal equivelants, because at least when something goes wrong, most doctors know how to deal with it. Where as with these new 'legal highs' nobody knows what could potentially happen, and if something does happen, what to do to deal with it. As Pads says, long-term nobody knows what will happen, it could potentially be just as bad or even worse as similar illegal substances.

If a drug company takes the chemical formula of an illegal narcotic, and very slightly modifies it, it is a 'legal high' until scientists prove it is dangerous and the government make it illegal. Yet this new substance will probably have almost the same effects as its illegal equivelant and could be even worse if it goes wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're only legal because they haven't been tested yet, therefore the government haven't had a chance to ban them. Some can be pretty dangerous, my friend took salvia, and his face puffed up and he had to go to the doctors to sort it out.
    I've taken salvia once, but wouldn't go near them again tbh. Best to stick with good old Mary Jane :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    The law is kind of the wrong way round. It would make more sense to say anything that gets you high is illegal unless it has been declared safe. Of course that would mean legalising a whole load of currently illegal drugs, and the government wouldn't want to do something sensible like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The law is kind of the wrong way round. It would make more sense to say anything that gets you high is illegal unless it has been declared safe. Of course that would mean legalising a whole load of currently illegal drugs, and the government wouldn't want to do something sensible like that.
    Doesn't strike me as being sensible in any way shape or form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincenoire)
    Can you give me some examples of legal highs, their effect on you and do you think they should be made illigal or legal drugs legalaised? Also if you know what meow meow is that would be helpful cos i have no idea.

p.s. dont know if this is the right area to post but was the best i could think of
    Legalise something that's legalised? Hmmm :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomo2000)
    Doesn't strike me as being sensible in any way shape or form
    Well they'd find that some illegal drugs are pretty safe compared to legal ones, including alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i took a 'legal equivelent' of both magic mushrooms and speed (very small amounts as i was being cautious) and i ended up in A and E. I had all over body pains, severe stomach ache, vomiting, racing heart, overstimulated to the point of insanity, and was hallucinating bady. (edit: and this bizzare cramping in my hands where they were locked in a backwards position and couldn't move them at all) so, overall it was pretty stupid and i think they should be banned.

i can't remember what they were called, or the name of the website i got them from, as i have tried to eraze the experience from my memory as much as possible.

stay away kiddies.
    WOAH you mixed a psychedelic with a stimulant no wonder you were racing away in your head with increased heart rate. :yes: 'legal' highs are ********...I either take the real stuff or (most likely) take nowt at all. More predictable that way I think ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davedave4619)
    I watched a TV show on the BBC a while back about them, and a doctor said he'd almost rather people took illegal drugs than their legal equivelants, because at least when something goes wrong, most doctors know how to deal with it. Where as with these new 'legal highs' nobody knows what could potentially happen, and if something does happen, what to do to deal with it. As Pads says, long-term nobody knows what will happen, it could potentially be just as bad or even worse as similar illegal substances.

If a drug company takes the chemical formula of an illegal narcotic, and very slightly modifies it, it is a 'legal high' until scientists prove it is dangerous and the government make it illegal. Yet this new substance will probably have almost the same effects as its illegal equivelant and could be even worse if it goes wrong.
    Yes, at least we know tobacco kills half the people who use it long term:rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Yes, at least we know tobacco kills half the people who use it long term:rolleyes:.
    Hahaha. Yeah but at least with tobacco it doesn't have such a negative effect on society. It has stimlant-like properties that can actually help the brain in the short-term. Where as drugs like cannabis have social problems turning them into lazy sloths whilst they are under its influence. This is probably a big factor in its illegality, even though tobacco is far more addictive.

I'm not somebody who preaches to people about drugs normally, I despise talktofrank, and I want all drugs legalised.

But I have to say, I would never take a legal high. If somebody wants to do it, knowing the risks, they should go ahead and be allowed to. But they have to know that there are risks first and hopefully once people realise how dangerous it could be, they would think twice.

With many, there is a chance it may be fine. But until experts actually test these substances, I wont touch them. If they say they're fine and the government ban them anyway, I'll start doing them, because the scientists said they're ssafe - I base my drug use on science rather than politics.

But right now the scientists are pretty much saying, or hinting because they can't say, that ectacy etc is probably actually a safer bet, and so for now I will stick with the illegal drugs that I deem to be pretty safe regardless of their political classifications.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha. Yeah but at least with tobacco it doesn't have such a negative effect on society.
    Like its death toll and its impact on relatives and friends to the deceased you mean? You might change your mind if you witnessed a relative puking his lungs up because of emphysema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Like its death toll and its impact on relatives and friends to the deceased you mean? You might change your mind if you witnessed a relative puking his lungs up because of emphysema.
    Point taken. But can't cannabis cause death via lung cancer too with prolonged use?

ReputationRep:
    Point taken. But can't cannabis cause death via lung cancer too with prolonged use?
    I believe it can but I'm of the opinion that the attention cannabis gets is a bit over the top. I don't take controlled drugs myself, don't smoke and hardly drink alcohol, but I think it's a bit socially authoritarian that people go ape over cannbis when nobody does anything with fatty foods. Any behaviour that has a sustained activity that leads to changes in long term physical and mental conditions should always be addressed and not be solely concentrated on controlled substances.

I do wonder how much of a social burden fatty foods are in comparison to cannbis use actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I believe it can but I'm of the opinion that the attention cannabis gets is a bit over the top. I don't take controlled drugs myself, don't smoke and hardly drink alcohol, but I think it's a bit socially authoritarian that people go ape over cannbis when nobody does anything with fatty foods. Any behaviour that has a sustained activity that leads to changes in long term physical and mental conditions should always be addressed and not be solely concentrated on controlled substances.

I do wonder how much of a social burden fatty foods are in comparison to cannbis use actually.
    I think you have a good point there. Over-consumption of fatty foods probably has a far larger impact on our society than the smoking of cannabis. I hate to think how the taxpayer will pay for the treatment of all these obese people with the various consequences like cancer and heart disease in the future.

ReputationRep:
    most of them are deceitfully dangerous, can be fun if used sensibly.
    but sadly its goin to take some deaths due to legal highs to make some people realise their potential risks.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.