Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well i'm not sure if spice and other legal cannabis things should be legal, as i reckon that they can really mess you up pretty long term if you're prone to anxiety/depression problems, and possibly even if you aren't. they can be very harmful to lots of people, and i reckon this outweighs any good which comes from them

it'd be very hard to make effective warnings as well. i'd have ignored a warning which just said "can cause anxiety problems", as without experiencing the anxiety problems, it's hard to imagine that being a huge issue. if they went far enough with the warning to describe what the stuff could actually do, they'd be slated as "scaremongering" by the lucky users/people who had never used it.

ReputationRep:
    Legal highs are mental. And to be honest, I'm not sure why you would take legal highs over illegal ones? If you think that just because something is legal it is automatically safer/better for you, you shouldnt be taking any kind of 'high' in the first place.

Mephedrone/methelone or whatever the other chemicals are that sound like it are really really awful and have caused some deaths already (at least 1 that I know of). Super addictive as well.

That man in the BBC documentary made a very strong point about it bettr to take an illegal drug such as ecstacy, which has over 20 years of heavily documented use and has been shown to be relatively safe, than something new and legal that you dont actually have any idea what its doing to you.

The things people do to get out of their heads though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i took a 'legal equivelent' of both magic mushrooms and speed (very small amounts as i was being cautious) and i ended up in A and E. I had all over body pains, severe stomach ache, vomiting, racing heart, overstimulated to the point of insanity, and was hallucinating bady. (edit: and this bizzare cramping in my hands where they were locked in a backwards position and couldn't move them at all) so, overall it was pretty stupid and i think they should be banned.

i can't remember what they were called, or the name of the website i got them from, as i have tried to eraze the experience from my memory as much as possible.

stay away kiddies.
    Sounds like those 'Shroomz' things? They are a mixture of piperazines, and are fecking horrible. I threw up everywhere when I took those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    Legal highs are mental. And to be honest, I'm not sure why you would take legal highs over illegal ones? If you think that just because something is legal it is automatically safer/better for you, you shouldnt be taking any kind of 'high' in the first place.

Mephedrone/methelone or whatever the other chemicals are that sound like it are really really awful and have caused some deaths already (at least 1 that I know of). Super addictive as well.

That man in the BBC documentary made a very strong point about it bettr to take an illegal drug such as ecstacy, which has over 20 years of heavily documented use and has been shown to be relatively safe, than something new and legal that you dont actually have any idea what its doing to you.

The things people do to get out of their heads though!
    This is what they were telling us when ecstasy came out... Can you imagine in the 70s/80s when it was legal, it would be amazing. Mdmamazing to be precise.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Even some of these 'legal' highs like mephedrone aren't actually legal for human consumption. The limited studies of its long term effects doesn't look promising at all, either, for all the retards who think it's safe because it's "legal".

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't the same laws apply as medicine? It's not legal to distribute it until you've proved it does it's job and doesn't have harmful side affects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    i took a 'legal equivelent' of both magic mushrooms and speed (very small amounts as i was being cautious) and i ended up in A and E. I had all over body pains, severe stomach ache, vomiting, racing heart, overstimulated to the point of insanity, and was hallucinating bady. (edit: and this bizzare cramping in my hands where they were locked in a backwards position and couldn't move them at all) so, overall it was pretty stupid and i think they should be banned.

i can't remember what they were called, or the name of the website i got them from, as i have tried to eraze the experience from my memory as much as possible.

stay away kiddies.
    Amanita Muscaria? They're mushrooms, but they're legal and I've read some people have adverse reactions to them sometimes. It's funny, the illegal ones don't really tend to have many adverse effects by comparison.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd add that I've tried a couple of legal highs and most of them are crap. Salvia has quite a long history of use, so perhaps that's an exception. Ayahuasca and Cacti are also sold on 'legal high' sites, despite being illegal to prepare or consume and I have/would take those too because they're very well researched. Wouldn't take most research chemicals, although I admit I did try mephedrone to see what all the hype was about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bagel Guy)
    Shouldn't the same laws apply as medicine? It's not legal to distribute it until you've proved it does it's job and doesn't have harmful side affects?
    That would be impossible to police, since it would bring all foods into question as well. Medicines make specific claims about what they do and who should take them (or that people should take them at all), and that is what is regulated. If I want to sell a pack of some obscure herb mixture that, if smoked, will get you a bit high, then so long as I don't make any claims about what it does or what you should do with it, then it could be policed unless the specific chemicals/plant was outlawed - it could be for cooking or decoration or **** knows what else. If people want to smoke it then the vendor isn't to blame.

So you see no "legal high" producer would go to the trouble of telling the regulators that their product is designed to "**** you up until dawn", and then have to demonstrate that it does do that safely - they'd just say that the product's "job" is... well, nothing or something trivial.

--------

btw kids, the only similarity between all "legal highs" is that they are legal. Discussing their safety or pros and cons as a group makes no sense.

Some legal drugs are among the most ancient and longest-used drugs in history, others were only named by a chinese chemist last week, and others still are complete crap that barely even count as "drugs".

ReputationRep:
    6 months ago, my friend died from taking the legal high mephedrone.
    I guess you could say that there were other factors that contributed to his death, such as it was likely that he had been drinking but still, just because it is legal, doesn't mean it's safe.

I'm hardly anyone to preach about casual drug use and experimentation but I would urge anyone not to try these legal highs until more is known about them. There hasn't been enough research into them, and doctors simply don't know the long term effects of these drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    6 months ago, my friend died from taking the legal high mephedrone.
    nonsense

ReputationRep:
    last year my grandmother was murdered by NHS doctors. I guess you could say there were other factors that contributed to her death, like having aggressive cancer in all her organs - but still, just because they're doctors, doesn't mean they won't kill you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    nonsense
    Well I'm hardly going to lie, am I?

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much lying as just talking complete ****.

ReputationRep:
    In my limited opinion, many legal highs suck. meph (probs have the name wrong) was in my expirience ****. Those herbs you get from Camden that have names resembling the marijuana strains were ****. There is some dream herb thing though that makes you remember your dreams very accurately and that was good.

(Original post by ciawhobat)
    last year my grandmother was murdered by NHS doctors. I guess you could say there were other factors that contributed to her death, like having aggressive cancer in all her organs - but still, just because they're doctors, doesn't mean they won't kill you.
    I like what you did there.

Let's just say that it happens so rarely, that there would be a few newspaper articles about it if it were true. I don't know of anybody in the UK dying from just drone and alcohol, but you can show me an article that says otherwise if you want, I could be mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Let's just say that it happens so rarely, that there would be a few newspaper articles about it if it were true. I don't know of anybody in the UK dying from just drone and alcohol, but you can show me an article that says otherwise if you want, I could be mistaken.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...meow-meow.html

Tbh, I wish I never posed anything, I'm not looking for arguements about whether this drug is safe or not. I also cba to prove myself to you all.

There are a few pretty big flaws with that article, but if you don't want to talk about it, I won't bother replying properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    People die from just alcohol all the time. No idea if mephedrone makes it any more likely to happen though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.