Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was reading through the TSR Russell group debating thread that appeared on these forums and I just wondered if every university is part of a group? Also if they are at all prestigious because of this?

For example the ones I know of:
    1994 Group
    Million+ - Basically the ex-polytechnics, 1992+
    University Alliance

By looking at these groups in an elitist manner. Do they all hold the same goals? Is the University Alliance at all as effective as the Russell group?

ReputationRep:
    Not all, as far as I know Aston isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Hull isn't
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hull is a member of GU8 and Aston is a member of ACU. Not all UK universities are members of domestic groupings, they may have international groupings as above.

I think, however, that pretty much every university in the UK is involved in some grouping, whether it be domestic or international.

As for having the same goals, I'd argue no, and they're certainly not all as effective as each other. (The Russell Group is probably the most effective seeing as its universities are the largest in terms of student numbers and also research output and research funding.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.