The Student Room Group

OCR Business F293: Marketing - Monday 25th Jan 2010

CLOSED.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Now you just make me feel even worse :frown:

For starters, I did the calculation of the PED wrong... My calculator kept giving me answers in fractions and i tried for ages to change them so I left it and did the rest of the paper, only found how to do it 10 mins from the end.

I was able to answer all the questions but I keep thinking that I've not done enough to get that A I need.

I was so nervous about this exam, because if I fail this year, I can't go to uni and blahh, failed life in my eyes.

I'm not ruling out the possiblity of having to resit in June anyway.
Reply 2
Nathun
I understand where you're coming from you see I'm happy with a C.
Where as you're saying you need an 'A'
PED think I got that wrong anyways I got 0.5 inelastic.

Ohh right. Well I need ABB to go to Surrey Uni... Current AS grades are
A - Psychology
B - Business Studies (2 marks off an A)
C - ICT (3 marks off a B)

C- Product Design
C - Citizenship both of which i've given up

I got that answer too, but apparently it's 2 because you do demand over price.

Was only worth 4 marks anyways.

Product Portfolio question - did you write about boston matrix/product life cycle?

I found the questions quite hard to relate back to the case study since there wasn't really much specific mention of the actual furniture used...

I thought they'red be a market research plan question. Shamee. :frown:
Reply 3
LOL, Well in my textbook it says Demand over Price and I specifically remember going back over my formula to put PRICE where I'd previously written Demand and I got 0.5. Sorry mate!
Doesn't really matter if he wants to increase the price or not, it's just the way it goes!!

Well (I think, I HOPE!) you can relate the PLC to Boston Matrix by comparing Cash Cows to the Maturity/Saturation stage, Problem children as Introduction and Dogs as Decline. But I felt like I wasn't really relating it back to the case study because there were no specific pieces of data where I could apply bits of the Boston Matrix to it.

Blaaah. I just want the result now to see how bad I did! :frown:

what were the other factors in the last one? I took that to mean they were just asking you to give a synoptic answer like explain that he'd have to consider communicating with HR, Operations + Finance departments.

All the way through I was just thinking that I wasn't writing stuff of the right quality, and wondering if I didn't think if it was capable of being A grade, how on earth can I convince examiners that it is?!
Reply 4
most of the people sitting the exam with me thought it was a nightmare (Y) the case focused too much on the history of the business which was not only pointless but it made it incredibly difficult to obtain level three, the questions wernt too bad, coulda been a lot better tho and yupp thats the other factors (Y) the other three departments, competition and external influences and you only need to meantion it once n then your allowed to get level three and four :smile:
Reply 5
ooh and for the ped question i got 0.5 and then comment on the fact that when the price changed demand rose by 20% n then relised that that would make it elastic not inelastic so i spend 10mins on the ped calcualtion to make sure i was answering the 13 mark question right and eventually i came to 2 which i decided seem to be more like the right answer, most of the people in my group got 2 aswell but i'm not sure if it was right....i was really looking forward to a marketing straregy or marketing plan question n nither came up :frown: talk about gutted! aha
Reply 6
I thought the exam went quite well even though it seemed we had questions on stuff our teacher hadnt even told us. I couldnt make any references to Ansoff's matrix and I couldnt believe there were no questions on planning, segmentation and all the other big bits in the spec!
Reply 7
well ansoffs matrix was taken out the mark scheme so it would really have made much difference if you had put it in or not maybe mite have helped you get to level three which imo was impossible and lucky i knew a lot about personal selling and knew what a project portfollio was cause the rest of the people in my group didnt bother looking at them cause they wer so sure a stragery or planning question was gunna come up!
Reply 8
for me it was slightly disastrous! i need an A and am only a couple of marks into an A at the moment. price elasticity of demand i got 2 which the majority of people got at my place. but for the product portfolio question i forgot to mention boston matrix, product life cycle etc and ended up talking about a spread of risk and how could mean they struggle to establish brand identity. finally on the 18 mark question at the end i talked about how ansoffs matrix is irrelevant and just used lots of stuff from the case study (how e-commerce is a fastly developing form of selling, how e-commerce could mean a lot of furniture could get damaged on the route from retailer to consumer). i did talk about how the other departments may not encourage the move but felt as though there was very little structure to what i was writing! i was really disappointed with the question as i've been getting really good marks on the regular questions such as market segmentation and market research planning! what kind of answer do you think the last question required?
Reply 9
i found it went really well. PED was 2. Percentage change in demmand divided by percentage change in price= ped wich was 2. Then could relate to the next question on lowering pricing strategies. Hvent felt as good about an exam ever :smile:
Reply 10
For the last one I put that he shouldn't go ahead with it because of the growing internet sales and if you looked at the sales figures, it showed a decline from 08 to 09 which I mentioned. I suggested that he could just start up his own business if he's looking to diversify into a new market, but also said that his knowledge of economics could help him if he decided to go ahead with it anyways.

And for one of the questions, I wrote that when he believed that it was nothing but a positive thing or something, that it's his opinion and is not fact and therefore it's biased. Also I said about how he could do market research to find out about the market because apparently you can reach level 4 if you point out missing information.

When I read about market research in the case study, I thought they'red be a question! but noo ;(

I didn't really look over personal selling because I didn't think it would be on there to be honest, I didn't think it would be a 6 mark question... I don't really have that much information about it, certainly not advantages, so I just had to make them up myself.
I said that it would be beneficial because they are able to target specific people who are more likely to buy and therefore avoid wasting time and resources on people who won't buy the product. I also said about it would be cheaper because it's a below the line method which can be performed by internal staff rather than employing from outside the company

what did everyone else get? :/
Reply 11
B :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah im predicted a B so happy with that, few people in my class predicted AS ended up with Us!
Reply 13
Got 80/80 :woo:
Never thought I'd get that, no one from my school ever has on the marketing paper! lol :biggrin:
Reply 14
A :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Adamn

Original post by Adamn
Got 80/80 :woo:
Never thought I'd get that, no one from my school ever has on the marketing paper! lol :biggrin:

hey dude
can help me how to plan that last 18marker (justify your view)
where u have to make a descion
what do u talk about in the marekting dept

sick guy full marks
Reply 16

Original post by Em92
Now you just make me feel even worse :frown:

For starters, I did the calculation of the PED wrong... My calculator kept giving me answers in fractions and i tried for ages to change them so I left it and did the rest of the paper, only found how to do it 10 mins from the end.

I was able to answer all the questions but I keep thinking that I've not done enough to get that A I need.

I was so nervous about this exam, because if I fail this year, I can't go to uni and blahh, failed life in my eyes.

I'm not ruling out the possiblity of having to resit in June anyway.

wat did u get in marketing then
any tips for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending