Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my application at the end of November, and it was acknowledged but I haven't heard anything else since. I got an email from Birmingham today about music scholarships, which is something I would definately want to apply for if I was to get an offer, but does getting this email mean that they are actually going to offer me a place? Or is it just a general email they send to all applicants with Grade 8 in an instrument?

Also any more general information people could give me about music scholarships would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah430)
    I sent off my application at the end of November, and it was acknowledged but I haven't heard anything else since. I got an email from Birmingham today about music scholarships, which is something I would definitely want to apply for if I was to get an offer, but does getting this email mean that they are actually going to offer me a place? Or is it just a general email they send to all applicants with Grade 8 in an instrument?

Also any more general information people could give me about music scholarships would be great
    You can apply for it if you accept Birmingham as a firm or insurance (well, that was the case when i applied a few years ago). I applied with Birmingham as my insurance with a pretty strong musical background (3 grade 8s, 2 merit and one distinction as well as about 20 hrs of ensemble work a week and county orchestra 1st clarinet) and got refused point blank. Not even an invite to audition. Still, you may as well apply for it. I imagine that they'd just send you that information as a sort of mailshot thing rather than sorting out the people who were going to get offers.

The application form itself involved writing a musical based personal statement and filling out other tedious crap like your personal information and grades etc.. Not too hard really - a bit like a diluted ucas application.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and blurb here: http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/...ps.shtml#music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    You can apply for it if you accept Birmingham as a firm or insurance (well, that was the case when i applied a few years ago). I applied with Birmingham as my insurance with a pretty strong musical background (3 grade 8s, 2 merit and one distinction as well as about 20 hrs of ensemble work a week and county orchestra 1st clarinet) and got refused point blank. Not even an invite to audition. Still, you may as well apply for it. I imagine that they'd just send you that information as a sort of mailshot thing rather than sorting out the people who were going to get offers.

The application form itself involved writing a musical based personal statement and filling out other tedious crap like your personal information and grades etc.. Not too hard really - a bit like a diluted ucas application.

Best of luck.
    Thanks I'll check the website out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.