Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The more I read on these forums the more I find people who actually like statistics - and loads who hate decision. I've just done the statistics 1 ocr mei paper today and I'm glad I don't have to go any more! It's just awful, maybe its just me. I mean nothing about it is logical, it feels like somebody was making it up as they went along.

I mean, what does "binomial" even mean? Why is standard deviation the square of the variance and why is that E[X^2] - E[X]^2. What actually is variance anyway? Without a logical explanation it just seems meaningless. I might as well say "you work out the trinognilakyl distribution of X by multiplying by 23 to the power 4 before dividing by the number of charachters in X, then squaring it". Thats basically what statistics has been. If 14~B(20, 0.5) why can't you just say 14/20? Why do we even need binomial business?

Whereas with decision, start with some numbers, work through a logical process, get the answer (eg. an algorithm for the square root). The algorithm could easily be programmed into a computer which makes it immediately useful.

I managed to get through the exam today, and I'll probably do well because I learned the formulars for standard deviation and everything, but I just don't feel like I've learned any proper maths. Is it really just me? :confused:

PS.
    Theoretically I could still do S2, but if its anything like S1 it seems a bit pointless? Is S2 as bad as S1?

ReputationRep:
    Yes S2 is as bad. I was forced to do it as I did further maths. I agree with you completely mostly. You can derive the formula's and they do make sense, it's just you don't have to know it to get an A

ReputationRep:
    so far i've found S2 easier than S1. Stats can be really easy if its explained properly. Admittedly some of the wording isnt the best, but really it is a doddle, you can get a good mark and i actually find it quite interesting (in parts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schismist)
    Yes S2 is as bad. I was forced to do it as I did further maths. I agree with you completely
    Thank god its not just me! Yes, where I am we have to do it but I've complained so much that it makes no sense that I've managed to swap it to D2. I don't see what there is to like about it! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't find statistics particularly hard, just incredibly boring.

ReputationRep:
    I think to answer all of your questions you need to adopt pretty insane maths. Be grateful that you can assume in Stats Its an odd concept having to agree with a few statements but if it means you get your A-level good for you.

If you wikipedia some math stuff it gets very complicated very quick, so be careful when you are trying to find out more info. you may get your head in a mess

s2 is the same as s1 tbh...equally as confusing but the content is less. D1 maths is easier to grasp but the sheer volume put me off.

ReputationRep:
    I like it. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewdownloads)
    The more I read on these forums the more I find people who actually like statistics - and loads who hate decision. I've just done the statistics 1 ocr mei paper today and I'm glad I don't have to go any more! It's just awful, maybe its just me. I mean nothing about it is logical, it feels like somebody was making it up as they went along.

I mean, what does "binomial" even mean? Why is standard deviation the square of the variance and why is that E[X^2] - E[X]^2. What actually is variance anyway? Without a logical explanation it just seems meaningless. I might as well say "you work out the trinognilakyl distribution of X by multiplying by 23 to the power 4 before dividing by the number of charachters in X, then squaring it". Thats basically what statistics has been. If 14~B(20, 0.5) why can't you just say 14/20? Why do we even need binomial business?

Whereas with decision, start with some numbers, work through a logical process, get the answer (eg. an algorithm for the square root). The algorithm could easily be programmed into a computer which makes it immediately useful.

I managed to get through the exam today, and I'll probably do well because I learned the formulars for standard deviation and everything, but I just don't feel like I've learned any proper maths. Is it really just me? :confused:

PS.
    Theoretically I could still do S2, but if its anything like S1 it seems a bit pointless? Is S2 as bad as S1?
    You sound as if you've taught yourself S1. I've just finished teaching S1 to a group and hope that I've answered your good questions.

'Binomial' - you can notice that when you expand (a+b)^n you end up choosing a from say 'r' brackets and b from the other n-r. So that's why the nCr stuff you probably learned in C2 fits in S1 when you're doing combinations.

Standard deviation is a measure of how far the 'typical' or 'average' point is from the mean in a distribution. You can't just take the mean distance-from-the-mean - that's zero. So you take the RootMeanSquare difference - analagous to Radius of Gyration in mechanics or RMS voltage in electrics. It's harder to explain why anyone should use variance - reasons come later on. The formula you use for variance is just a computationally easier form of the RMS formula - saves time.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like OCR MEI S1 either, I definitely don't think it's "pointless" though.

After S1 I declared I'd never take a stats module again... however, I ended up having to do S2 (and have just done the exam today) and I enjoyed it so much more than S1, I'm even considering doing S3 now. S2 is easier and much more enjoyable than S1.

ReputationRep:

PS.
    S2 was much worse than S1, less boring but much more difficult. I hated it because, as you say, you just have to believe a lot of things without deriving them because it's too difficult. I loved D1, it was really interesting and although not really "maths" as most people would understand it, it showed me new ways of applying maths practically. Even though statistics seem to be showing you how things work in the real world, a lot of the problems on exam papers are just completely wierd.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get through the exam today, and I'll probably do well because I learned the formulars for standard deviation and everything, but I just don't feel like I've learned any proper maths.
    right but there's loads of proper maths in D1 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    S2 is so much better than S1.

(Original post by MarkS2)
    I didn't like OCR MEI S1 either, I definitely don't think it's "pointless" though.

After S1 I declared I'd never take a stats module again... however, I ended up having to do S2 (and have just done the exam today) and I enjoyed it so much more than S1, I'm even considering doing S3 now. S2 is easier and much more enjoyable than S1.
    I agree. S1 is kinda... bitty. Like it doesn't fit in together, it just gives you the tools to do S2. S2 however, is only four quesitons, which makes you feel so much better about yourself when you've done one and you're a quarter way there There are also huge mark cows (think cash cow, I don't think that was a very good phrase :P) where you get 12 marks for doing the simplest calculations ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john1234567)
    right but there's loads of proper maths in D1 :rolleyes:

are u kidding? i absolutely hate D1, its not proper maths! i just cant seem to be able to get my head round it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _anum)
    are u kidding?
    i was kidding, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    i was kidding, yeah.
    lol... sorry sarcasm doesnt show well in typing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _anum)
    oh sure it doesn't

ReputationRep:
    oh sure it doesn't
    see now that was sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _anum)
    check this out!

ReputationRep:
    Awful, awful stats!
    Mechanics ftw!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.