Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edmhaslam)
    check this out!

hhahaha .... thats well good may have to invest in one of those buttons :P

ReputationRep:
    I found Statistics hard and boring and Decision incredibly easy.

ReputationRep:
    Statistics 1 wasn't so bad, it was kind of easy its just that you have to be vary careful and know what degree of accruacy you have to use especially in regression/correlation, can't think of any other topics of the top of my head. Decisions is good so far for me, a bit tideous but its just an easy +90%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    I like it. :dontknow:
    :five:
    seems like we're the only ones though!

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate statistics when I basically had to learn from scratch 70% of the S1 & S2 modules in the space of about 2 weeks of my degree. It's the most ridiculous thing to learn, especially that quickly because you don't have time to question things, but it does eventually click and everything will make sense. After that, it's not so bad and I quite like it now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What's the point of factorising and expanding brackets?

Have to learn to crawl before you can walk or whatever. It all makes sense if you go on to study statistics in real depth I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nellydee)
    :five:
    seems like we're the only ones though!
    :five::five:

Let's try and update your sig...

"So, what's the probability that i'll pull your number tonight? :sexface:"

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewdownloads)
    The more I read on these forums the more I find people who actually like statistics - and loads who hate decision. I've just done the statistics 1 ocr mei paper today and I'm glad I don't have to go any more! It's just awful, maybe its just me. I mean nothing about it is logical, it feels like somebody was making it up as they went along.

I mean, what does "binomial" even mean? Why is standard deviation the square of the variance and why is that E[X^2] - E[X]^2. What actually is variance anyway? Without a logical explanation it just seems meaningless. I might as well say "you work out the trinognilakyl distribution of X by multiplying by 23 to the power 4 before dividing by the number of charachters in X, then squaring it". Thats basically what statistics has been. If 14~B(20, 0.5) why can't you just say 14/20? Why do we even need binomial business?

Whereas with decision, start with some numbers, work through a logical process, get the answer (eg. an algorithm for the square root). The algorithm could easily be programmed into a computer which makes it immediately useful.

I managed to get through the exam today, and I'll probably do well because I learned the formulars for standard deviation and everything, but I just don't feel like I've learned any proper maths. Is it really just me? :confused:

PS.
    Theoretically I could still do S2, but if its anything like S1 it seems a bit pointless? Is S2 as bad as S1?
    Don't you get a formula sheet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    :five::five:

Let's try and update your sig...

"So, what's the probability that i'll pull your number tonight? :sexface:"

:p:
    hmmm, thats nowhere near!!
    try a little harder though, and you might just make it onto my sig :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hated S1, mechanics ftw! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nellydee)
    hmmm, thats nowhere near!!
    try a little harder though, and you might just make it onto my sig :p:
    So...you like Statistics eyy? :sexface:

Well, I could certainly combine my long permutation inside you and distribute you all over the bed whilst playing with your cyclic variables and you exponentially increase my natural spearmens rank. We could then find the probability of you opening your legs and then the correlation of my histogram finding it's way inside and inbetween your curves producing a positive correlation where I skew you all night like a discrete but continuous variable and then finish with you on top of my normal distribution curve smothered in my liquid regression. :sogood:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Do I win? :puppyeyes:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    So...you like Statistics eyy? :sexface:

Well, I could certainly combine my long permutation inside you and distribute you all over the bed whilst playing with your cyclic variables and you exponentially increase my natural spearmens rank. We could then find the probability of you opening your legs and then the correlation of my histogram finding it's way inside and inbetween your curves producing a positive correlation where I skew you all night like a discrete but continuous variable and then finish with you on top of my normal distribution curve smothered in my liquid regression. :sogood:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Spoiler:
    Show

:naughty:

no you don't

Just practise it and do as many past papers you can until you get hang of it I hated S1 and after couple of months, started understanding it... so don't worry, it will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Spoiler:
    Show

hmmmm, yeah I think you can have a joint first place

(Original post by Nfixlol)
    :naughty:

no you don't
    oh but he does, seeing as you couldn't do better! :p:

(Original post by Milan.)
    reading this has just made me standardly deviate from what i was doing
    99.9% of the sample population is going to find you irresistable now, your charm is way above the mean median and mode
    i'd love to show you my natural log :ninja:
    oh son:

1. stop trying to attract my charmer away!
    2. stop acting like you possess a natural log. it's plastic and under your bed.
    3. get back to some hardcore geography revision before i call somali and his mandems on you!!!

ReputationRep:
    Imagine only having a borderline C at GCSE in maths, and then suddenly having to do statistics as a huge part of your degree course. :eek3:

Practice is the key, once you've got the formulae worked out/ or available, and vaguely understand the application, you can basically do it all.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Though I can't say I enjoy it at all. :sigh:

OP: S4 proves quite a lot of the S1 results, if you're particularly interested.

ReputationRep:
    http://xkcd.com/552/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    once you've got the formulae worked out/ or available, and vaguely understand the application, you can basically do it all.

If I can do it, anyone can.
    I hope you're right, I'm going into a no-obligation S2 course which I can drop at any time (I had nothing to lose), so I hope its not as painful as S1 (I had no idea what the teacher was talking about 99% of the time) :woo:

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you've had very bad teaching, i.e. teaching to help you pass A-levels, rather than to help you understand maths and to pass A-levels. That or you didn't pay attention. The things you're talking about aren't "made up", there's a reason behind all of it. A lot of the times we do choose to define stuff because it makes sense intuitively (like to define the average (mean) as the sum divided by the number of data), but the things you're on about are true for decent reasons.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.