Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hmm, how high shall I set my standards? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ..delete lol :3

ReputationRep:
    Time for some reality, I would sugar coat it but these threads are ten a penny and my patience wears thin:

1) I'm not going to flatter you but there's absolutely nothing wrong with you GCSE grades and one C at GCSE is proably one of the most pathetic things to obsess over.

2) Unis are more interested in your A-levels (generally).

3) Get over what people think of you. Do what makes you happy, not your family or friends.

4) Work hard, get good A-levels, the world is your oyster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alisonomnom)
    I'm not sure what uni to apply for.. Help me please? D'ya know what kinda university would be likely to give me an offer? For my GCSES I got 1 A*, 8 A's, 1 B and 1 C. I know that's not really AMAZING so i'm pretty sure uni's asking for AAA for example wouldn't even think to give me an offer.. Damn, I really hate that C lol, wish I could just erase it from my results. But yeah, any help here? >.<

I'm thinking maybe somewhere asking for ABB, but I don't want to go to a pretty low university :/ (My brother started at Durham last year and I WILL get compared to him, lol. Having intelligent siblings sucks.)
    O my gosh. no offence because you are probably inexperienced or something but this was a pretty dumb OP. Very few unis will care about 1 C at GCSE. Secondly AAA is not some sort of special UCAS code. If you are predicted AAA for A2 Level then there is a good chance that they may give you an offer. I no someone who got worse GCSEs than you including shock horror a D and he got a Durham offer for Law

ReputationRep:
    Don't let being compared to your brother worry you. It's what you want at the end of the day!

Aim as high as you can, work hard and you will do well!

ReputationRep:
    You have 5 choices. Your GCSE's are good, and your A levels are the most important thing. If you think you can get AAA then why not try? again you have 5 choices.

ReputationRep:
    Aim for AAA and don't be afraid to take 5 AS levels. You can always drop one if the work proves too much. I think that if you aim high you're more likely to get the very best grades that you can.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think GCSEs are THAT important to all Unis anyway. My GCSEs were similar (three more A*s, fewer As, Bs, a C and a pass... And I didn't even get a grade in one of the subjects) and I got offers from all my Unis this year.

I reckon performance at A-level can outshine slip ups at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about GCSEs, for mine i got 2A*s, 6A's and 1B..which i suppose is pretty good but not as good as some people in the country. Then for as levels i got 2A's psychology, philosophy), 1B(textiles) and and E (maths)which i thought would really let me down.
    i then applied to my unis and got all 5 offers, which included exeter and cardiff who both asked for 3 A's. so i think its down to other things not just grades.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.