Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What theme would you choose from the below, considering you would have to make a prototype which fits into that theme, any why?

The task for this unit is for the candidate to produce a prototype product, capable of evaluation and a concise portfolio of work to support the designing and modelling process.

Candidates must select one of the following themes as a starting point for the task.

Centres are permitted to contextualise the theme and starting point appropriately to reflect centre or community resource and access to local business and industry that may add realism to the candidates’ work.

Teachers are required to ensure that candidates do not pursue the same ‘theme’ for their work as submitted or intended for submission for Unit A563.

Teachers must mark the task using the marking criteria provided in Appendix B (Unit A561) of this specification.
    In order to skilfully design and make their prototype product, candidates should refer to the content of Unit A564 and use designing, planning, making, materials, tools, equipment and process as
    appropriate.

Theme

Celebrations

Decorations, awards, trophies, promotional items. Product must be 3D.
    Travel
    Products used in travel to improve the quality of the experience. May include the use of electronic systems.
    Sustainability
    Design a new product using reduce/reuse/recycle as a starting point. Product could focus on one of the Rs.
    Blast From The Past
    Revive and refresh a product from a previous generation using modern materials and manufacture. Must include the use of a ‘modern material’.
    Sport
    Modify and improve an existing product or design a new product. Modification may be in terms of design and/or materials.
    Lighting
    Designs for lighting systems/products that use low energy bulbs. Design must be based around a commercially available low voltage or battery-powered lighting system.
    Educational Toys
    A new toy with an age and developmental focus. Design to be suitable for 3–8 years.
    The Great Outdoors

Improve an existing product or design a new product to enhance an outdoor activity. Must be easily packed and carried.
    Display
    A display product for an identified client, collector, exhibitor or retailer.
    Storage
    Storage of personal items for a teenager or elderly person.

ReputationRep:
    storage- im currently doing that, its easy and doesnt take too much thinking. its basic, im doing it now and im making a desk-tidy which holds pens, pencils, books, rubbers and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I did storage when I was doing my Res Mat GCSE. Made a cabinet because I really needed something I could lock, and when I looked in hardware shops, I couldn't find anything like that.. so thought I'd make my own

ReputationRep:
    i chose a educational toy but i think the age range was 1-3 not quite sure. it had a CAD/CAM mechanism and was a pulley toy with different sized rings that would stack up. it was aimed at hand - eye coordinatination.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.