Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    basically I have to choose my A levels soonish and i know i'm definitely doing further maths, maths and physics but I'm stuck on the last option and i've narrowed it down to Latin or economics. With latin it's hard work and there is lots to learn to get the A/A* at GCSE at the moment so i was wondering:

which looks better applying to a university to study maths, either latin or economics

and is economics hard work

what does economics entail, would i have to write loads of essays?

err yeah thats about it all feedback is much appreciated, cheers ears

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gestation)
    basically I have to choose my A levels soonish and i know i'm definitely doing further maths, maths and physics but I'm stuck on the last option and i've narrowed it down to Latin or economics. With latin it's hard work and there is lots to learn to get the A/A* at GCSE at the moment so i was wondering:

which looks better applying to a university to study maths, either latin or economics

Unless you are going into linguistics or foreign languages or something, which it doesn't look like, don't do latin. Apparently its helpful for a lot of biological and medical courses for the vocab but are you going to do that?

ReputationRep:
    Economics I think would suit you better, for instance, I will be doing Biology, Chemistry and Geography A levels with Economics. Which is a good 4th for AS.

ReputationRep:
    I do your subjects with economics. I would have guessed economics is better if you want to study maths, I personally think it's my easiest subject even though I don't particularly like writing.

ReputationRep:

Economics is probably better for Maths, but I've done Latin and while it's been a slog at times, overall I loved it and it turned out to be my best A Level.

/bias :p:

ReputationRep:
    I do Economics, Maths and ICT. I did Physics at AS which I dropped.
    Economics is the easiest subject I do, im on the Edexcel board and theres no coursework or anything so theres not that much writing. The only major bit of writing is the data response questions but even then its not too bad. Im not much of a writing person and I get by pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    hmm all logical stuff, though my careers advisor dude told me that latin might be better to show that i'm a "more rounded individual", i.e. not a maths nerd and that it is also seen as more prestigious to universities like Cambridge (to which i'll be applying), any thoughts to that?

ReputationRep:
    Latin's more use than economics, I should think. Many Latinists go on to become scientists/mathematicians/computer scientists because of the nature of the language and its highly structured grammar (as also with ancient Greek, Sanskrit etc.) Besides, you could show that you're a "rounded individual", to some degree, as people have been saying. Economics would be a walk in the park for you -- don't take the easy option! And you can always read about economics in your own time, if you're especially interested.

ReputationRep:
    Latin is very highly respected by the top universities and is said to train you to think in a very disciplined way. According to the Head of Classics at my school, the best A-level combination for law at Oxbridge is Latin, maths, physics and history because of the way those subjects train your mind.

However, economics too is highly respected and likely to be far more useful to you in the real world.

Also, this may or may not be an important consideration for you, but languages (particularly classical languages) become very literature-based at A-level. That alone has put me off taking Latin any further.

Do you know what you want to study at uni and/or what sort of career you may be interested in?

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest you go with Economics.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with whichever you expect to enjoy most.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest Latin.
    I'm doing it at the moment and it's interesting and it will also make you look like a more rounded individual in my opinion. =)

ReputationRep:

For maths picking either subject would be good when applying.

(I don't do econ currently) Although if you like the maths side of things you might enjoy the course a lot and change your mind and apply to do economics at uni. :dontknow:

Latin at AS isn't that difficult, there is quite a lot of set text to learn; one verse (slightly longer than the Virgil your doing now) and a prose which is also a bit longer than the Virgil. The style questions range from about the same difficulty as the harder style questions you are doing now to mini essays. The language is basically solidifying GCSE concepts.

It is supposed to get a lot harder at A2

ReputationRep:
    I did maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and latin and have got places on uni maths courses. I really liked latin AS, there was a lot to learn but it wasn't that intellectually demanding as long as you were alright at doing short essays.
    Do whatever you feel you will enjoy most, economics probably would be more useful but is in no way essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonDreamer)
    Languages (particularly classical languages) become very literature-based at A-level. That alone has put me off taking Latin any further.
    I completely agree. I've found that Latin has been increasingly more literature based as I've moved up throughout school; it is annoying, because the language side appeals to me more than the literature element.

But as to taking economics or latin, I would simply take whichever one you enjoy, or think you will enojy, the most, as long as neither are prerequisites for your desired university course.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.