Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's painless and a mild inconvenience; it saves lives.

ReputationRep:
    I guess some people dont give blood because they are afraid of needles, or they arent allowed to, or they dont fulfill the health requirements. I give blood , must make another appointment, had to cancel the last one because I had a cold.

ReputationRep:
    If you give blood, do you find out your blood type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    If you give blood, do you find out your blood type?
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would, but unfortunately, people could get high off my blood.

ReputationRep:
    I give blood, but put it off until I was 19 due to a fear of the pain I expected.

Since then, I've given blood whenever possible, and I wish I'd have started earlier.

ReputationRep:
    I have 'sold' blood, for medical research.

Need to get round to giving blood this year though!

ReputationRep:
    Out of intrest, how long does it take for your blood to 'grow back' so to speak?

Also how much do they take at a time.

I wouldn't mind doing it tbh, but I can imagine a lot of people are in the same boat as me and don't know much about it. The NHS needs to do a decent awareness campaign instead of posting a few flyers in doctors surgeries.

ReputationRep:
    I unfortunately have Alien-esque, acid blood.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for the next convenient donation thingy to show up.. I wasn't gonna give blood when I had an exam the next day >_>

A- here, yay. I'm semi-uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    Because they can't get it out of me

I will try again soon though, maybe next time my parents go

ReputationRep:
    Because my blood isn't compatible with anybody else, it contains nanites so it can have detrimental effects if injected into just an ordinary human body.

Spoiler:
    Show
    basically I'm scared of needles :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I just haven't got round to it yet, I'm away at a Uni interview when they are coming round. . I will next time. . Promise!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death_on_the_stairs)
    Out of intrest, how long does it take for your blood to 'grow back' so to speak?

I wouldn't mind doing it tbh, but I can imagine a lot of people are in the same boat as me and don't know much about it. The NHS needs to do a decent awareness campaign instead of posting a few flyers in doctors surgeries.
    Have a look at this:

http://www.blood.co.uk/

it may answer some of your questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death_on_the_stairs)

A: Donated plasma is replaced after 2-3 days.Red blood cells are replaced by bone marrow into the circulatory system at a slower rate, on average 36 days in healthy adult males. The range was 20 to 59 days for recovery.

That's not saying you'll feel ill for up to 59 days. You feel better almost instantly, in general, if it affects you at all - but you should avoid strenuous activity on that day.

ReputationRep:
    I give blood, but the last two times i've tried to give, the blood centres just been too busy, It's my fault for not making the appointment for it like, but my Dad usually decides to go at the last minute. I always end up at the pub instead. Oh well..

ReputationRep:
    i believe you have to be 18?

i'm on the organ donor register though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGC)
    It's painless and a mild inconvenience; it saves lives.
    Why lie? You could make a good argument for it without resorting to lying. It hurts like a ******* *****.

ReputationRep:
    Needle/Pain phobia.

I'm an organ donor though - they can have anything they want when I'm dead.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried to a couple of times but not met the criteria each time due to trips abroad and whatnot.

I will when I'm eligible...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.