Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hate giving blood. I do it about once a year for medical reasons and I hate it enough doing that, i'm always trying to get out of it. Its an irrational phobia, probably the only thing i'm really scared of

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if i'm allowed to give blood. My mum has lupus and have never really checked stuff like that out.

ReputationRep:
    I starting giving blood because I think it's a really important thing to do. So many people need it, and so many people can't (or don't) give blood. This was partly spurred on by the fact that my father (cancer survivor) and sister (underweight) couldn't.

Unfortunately, between my first and second donating sessions I was diagnosed with absence epilepsy, so I'm not longer allowed to donate (something about it compromising my health, and others if I'm on the type of medication that I now take). So instead I've got a little mission going - if I can't give blood, I'll make as many people as I can do so. Got three going so far - woohoo!

So yeah, I'll implore you all to do so.

And there's three reasons why for the price of one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I filled out the online questionnaire and it says I wasn't eligible because I'd been out of the UK in the past 12 months. Do they seriously think I'm gonna catch AIDS on a 4 day trip to Italy?!

How many people can say they haven't been out of the UK for a year? Not many I know. It's ludicrous!!!!
    I haven't been out of the UK since the summer I did my GCSEs, so nearly two years now. It's quite possible and a lot of people don't go abroad that often - I wish I could but due to family issues it's not really possible. If I wasn't going on a trip to Germany with school this year then it would be another year on top of those two.

I agree it's a stupid question though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    fat? hehe.
    **** off.
    The nurse gave me an information pack on it, explaining it was to do with my veins being deep in my arm. You can't see anything when you look inside the crook of my elbows, like you can do on most people.

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified of needles.. I don't even know my blood type.

ReputationRep:
    I don't because my skin had an allergic reaction to the alcohol when they were cleaning my arm and they won't let me right now =|

ReputationRep:
    At 16, am I old enough now?

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't have blood.
    I have acid!

ReputationRep:
    Because the doctor said if I tried I'd faint and be taken to the hospital only to have it put back in me in anyways. I have low blood pressure and the inconvenience it causes me is annoying but I have to live with it.

I would like to give blood but I'm an organ donor instead.

ReputationRep:
    I've been banned temporarily due to my tendency to faint.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors and nurses can't find a vein to draw blood tests from let alone find one that will yeild enough blood to donate! Every time I need a blood test done the poor nurses are driven to distraction trying to get enough to do a decent sample :rolleyes: Apparently I have the worlds thinnest/deepest and most collapsable veins......yay me :sigh:

If it was possible I would definately donate, as I dont have a needle phobia and its so worthwhile......however to add to my vein problem I also have chronic anaemia so that that idea out the window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salavant)
    Well, I grok that: but I haven't had sex for ooh, ages. Why the lifetime ban?
    I'm not a fan of the rule personally. My comment was more a point of pedantry about you mentioning the extensive tests they do for blood disease and assuming these are fullproof. That's why they warn you not to give blood if you think there is any chance you might have HIV and to get a normal HIV test instead first.

ReputationRep:
    I can't for multiple reasons, but mainly because I have had blood transfusions myself. Just want to say thanks to everyone here who says that they do donate-honestly, it really does make a difference and I wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for you guys! So thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's my blood, I would like to keep it thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Underweight and low blood pressure...I had my blood tested once and they took like a syringe of blood and I almost fainted D;

ReputationRep:
    My love for **** excludes me.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been heavy enough to donate for a couple of months. As I intend on being that weight again in the next few weeks, there's not much point.

ReputationRep:
    do you have to make an appointment or can you just turn up on the day..?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I used to give blood, but recently....I dunno, I've just gone of the idea. Maybe I should think about all those lives I could save

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.