Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am not allowed to due to an operation I had on my knee.
    I am on organ donor though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    How does that one work then, genius?
    don't they stick a neeedle into you to take the blood....
    could an already used needle be accidentally used in you as was used in some with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cousto)
    don't they stick a neeedle into you to take the blood....
    could an already used needle be accidentally used in you as was used in some with it
    No. All the kit is single-use-only and the needles are sterile. Do you really think they'd be allowed to re-use needles? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    under medical investigations so i'm not allowed
    i would if i could though

ReputationRep:
    I have a rare blood type aswell and everytime i see the advertisements on tv i wish i could donate blood.
    However im not allowed due to taking long term medications for an illness.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like needles, or the feeling of light-headedness which comes with it.

ReputationRep:
    Because my blood is so :awesome: if it was put in anyone else they would explode.

ReputationRep:
    never got round to it.

ReputationRep:
    I was told I didn't have enough to donate!

ReputationRep:
    I do. I just suggest you don't try to cycle 5 miles back home.

ReputationRep:
    I don't weigh enough.

ReputationRep:
    I have AIDS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Have a look at this:

http://www.blood.co.uk/

it may answer some of your questions
    ****! They only have 150odd units of AB(-) blood in the whole country? There are more hospitals than that! When a person needs blood they often need more than one unit. How on earth do they provide the logistics to give that blood type in an emergency? I guess there are so few people that need it, and fewer that donate it. Sadly some of my cousins belong to that blood group

That's a bit of a shock to be honest. Sorry for the rant/rhetorical questions. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3kimie1)
    I've given blood once and I recently found out that I have a rare blood type AB+ only 3% of people have that. I now have to give blood as often as I can because I hate the idea that I could be stopping those people living. It also makes me get over my fear of needles because it was so painless.
    I study transfusion science. Read this post and thought of my notes in donor psychology...

Narcissism – Experience of being special. Especially true of rare blood types. Blood donation becomes a positive contribution to identity and worth
    E.g. AB occurs in <3% of the population, so whilst it is rare, very little is needed at any one time. But as AB donors are told they have a rare blood type they feel a need to donate because they feel they are the only ones who could help, and so are much more loyal than a blood donor with a common bloodtype.

Sound familiar?

(Original post by Pheonixx)
    ****! They only have 150odd units of AB(-) blood in the whole country? There are more hospitals than that! When a person needs blood they often need more than one unit. How on earth do they provide the logistics to give that blood type in an emergency? I guess there are so few people that need it, and fewer that donate it. Sadly some of my cousins belong to that blood group

That's a bit of a shock to be honest. Sorry for the rant/rhetorical questions. :o:
    There's no major AB- problem at the mo. Whilst the NBS like to have ~4-5 days stock at a time, it isn't uncommon to drop to 3 days in times of low donation, especially with a rare blood type. They don't keep much because the number of people they can give AB- blood to is very limited. 150 of AB- is sufficient for 3 days. Compare that to over 13,000 units of A+ lasting only a week. They have info on all donors, so if they're ever low of a specific type they often send letters to donors of that type to encourage them (A reserve of AB type donors are often asked not to attend regular donations until they're asked, to keep a nice steady supply).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    If you give blood, do you find out your blood type?
    Yes. I wanted to know my blood type for years but never really had the chance - I hadn't seen my GP since I was 10!

ReputationRep:

They give the closest match they can. An AB- patient could theoretically receive A-, B- or O-. The risk of a transfusion reaction is higher if the blood is not completely matched but if it's an emergency situation you have to weigh that against the risk of not giving them blood at all.

That, and they have courier services etc to move blood around the country fast if it's needed.

ReputationRep:

Fortunately a person with AB(-) blood group won't reject any type of blood given to them necessarily. While not ideal people can accept transfusions from other blood groups without necessarily rejecting it meaning a person can live in an emergency of a blood group that is not there own (assuming they're not a group "O" person like me, which are in the most abundant supply anyway) until the right blood can be transported to the hospital they need it in.

This explains it quite well:

http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    They give the closest match they can. An AB- patient could theoretically receive A-, B- or O-. The risk of a transfusion reaction is higher if the blood is not completely matched but if it's an emergency situation you have to weigh that against the risk of not giving them blood at all.

That, and they have courier services etc to move blood around the country fast if it's needed.
    Oh dear, that last post of mine just proved I forget all my knowledge in an (minor) emotional situation; I learned this in first year. Thanks for reminding me though. Can't you also administer (+) blood once, as long as they haven't received it before? They seem to have a relatively large amount of AB positive. We learned they can, but I wasn't sure if they did in practice when they could just use, as you said A- B- or O-.

(Original post by big-bang-theory)
    Fortunately a person with AB(-) blood group won't reject any type of blood given to them necessarily. While not ideal people can accept transfusions from other blood groups without necessarily rejecting it meaning a person can live in an emergency of a blood group that is not there own (assuming they're not a group "O" person like me, which are in the most abundant supply anyway) until the right blood can be transported to the hospital they need it in.

This explains it quite well:

http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/
    Yup Helenia reminded me thanks, it's interesting to look at the statistics of which blood groups are more common in different countries, assuming wikipedia is correct it varies quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I would give blood but every time I try they tell me not too bother because either I don't weigh enough or they can't find veins and don't want to poke me in the wrong place because IT HURTS.

Or I totally would. I'd love to know my blood type too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, that last post of mine just proved I forget all my knowledge in an (minor) emotional situation; I learned this in first year. Thanks for reminding me though. Can't you also administer (+) blood once, as long as they haven't received it before? They seem to have a relatively large amount of AB positive. We learned they can, but I wasn't sure if they did in practice when they could just use, as you said A- B- or O-.
    They can do, but it would very rarely get to that point. The NBS has entire marketting divisions aimed at keeping a steady supply of donors over time, so giving the wrong blood type is never an issue. It's rare for blood donations to drop below 2 or 3 days supply, it'd probably be national news if it ever dropped to 0. If it ever got really bad, they'd be more likely to import blood in from the rest of Europe than get by giving the 2nd best blood type.

The only time the wrong blood type is really used is if the patient is in critical condition and there's no time to blood type. So O- is used to get blood in ASAP since saving someone's life is more important than a slight risk of a minor reaction.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.