5. Scared of needles
    6. Not allowed to because I frequent high risk malaria zones
    7. Cba
    8. Cba
    9. Don't want to
    10. Cba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)
    How did you sell your blood and how much for?

I am honestly curious.
    I came across it when I was searching goolgle for quick ways to make money

Got paid 100 squids for 600ml.

Theres a 24 hour fasting period aswell, so make sure you can go that long without food! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    Barely hurts, anyone who says otherwise is exaggerating or a sissy, seriously, it doesn't hurt. Plus the free chocolate and biscuits before and after the procedure make it totally worth it.
    Sometimes it does hurt. I've done it 11 (I think) times now and have had mixed experiences. Most times they've got the vein no problem, but I have had a couple of difficult ones, most noticeably the last time when they couldn't get anything on my left side, despite a lot of poking, wiggling of the needle etc, and had a difficult time getting it in on the right side. I ended up with two nasty haematomas in my elbow creases, wasn't best pleased!

But if you're really concerned about pain you can ask for local anaesthetic now. I probably won't bother though, once I actually get to go again.

ReputationRep:
    BTW .. not that I would but;

I'm not allowed to give blood cos I take steroids ...now if I lied (not that I would) about taking them

would they find out? would it really affect the dude who would get residual testosterone ?

ReputationRep:
    No it's mine...

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the organ donor register, but I can't give blood due to being on medication.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not allowed, due to medication.

ReputationRep:
    I can't, I've had too many blood tranfusions myself. Wish I could though

ReputationRep:
    They won't allow me to give blood. ""

ReputationRep:
    I do give blood. Every six months. I wish that you could do it more frequently, as it doesn't take your body six months to regenerate the blood.. though maybe there's another reason I'm not aware of.

I think everybody that CAN give blood should; one day you're likely to need it and you'll realise what a big deal it is, even if it just seems like a pointless half hour to you now.

I was pretty digusted recently when I asked my housemates to come with me to donate blood. I live with NINE other people and none of them came. The unanimous response was "how much do we get paid for it?". I think that's a pretty shocking thing to say, to expect payment for helping to save another person's life.

And to those who may think "Oh i'm a common blood group, there's no point in me donating, if you take a look at the website for blood donation (http://www.blood.co.uk/) you'll see that in terms of stock level, there is only enough of these blood types to supply for a week, two tops. (http://www.blood.co.uk/StockGraph/st...lstandard.aspx)

If everybodys stopped donating blood, there'd be nothing left within the month. Please consider donating blood if there's nothing stopping you doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death_on_the_stairs)
    Out of intrest, how long does it take for your blood to 'grow back' so to speak?

Also how much do they take at a time.

I wouldn't mind doing it tbh, but I can imagine a lot of people are in the same boat as me and don't know much about it. The NHS needs to do a decent awareness campaign instead of posting a few flyers in doctors surgeries.
    It only takes a few hours for your blood cells to replenish themselves, I've heard... by next morning you should have your blood back! And they always used to say they take a pint, but it's not a pint, probably a bit less than that.

You just find out where your nearest donation place is, book an appointment, go in, they give you a folder to read whilst you wait, you go behind a curtain with a nurse and they prick your finger to test your iron levels (no pain whatsoever!) and then ask you a load of questions to check you're eligible... then I'm always made to drink a giant glass of water which I hate because I'm never very thirsty! Then you lay down and they poke you with a needle and you lay there opening and closing your hand for about 15 mins. Then you get free food

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to but I'm anaemic so am unable to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    I do give blood. Every six months. I do give blood. Every six months. I wish that you could do it more frequently, as it doesn't take your body six months to regenerate the blood.. though maybe there's another reason I'm not aware of.
    In the UK you're allowed to do so every 12 weeks and recommended to do so every 16 weeks. You're right in that it doesn't actually take that long to recover all your blood (I think it mentions on the website the upper end of the sample they took on people reconstituting every part of blood after donating was 59 days. The average was something in the 20s) but they want 0 risk so they set the limit delibrately higher than they think it could possibly be dangerous. Same with weight, people in the borderline region aren't genuinely at risk if they give blood while slightly under the minimum but they set the cutoff point high so that there is no risk at all for anyone following their guidelines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    In the UK you're allowed to do so every 12 weeks and recommended to do so every 16 weeks. You're right in that it doesn't actually take that long to recover all your blood (I think it mentions on the website the upper end of the sample they took on people reconstituting every part of blood after donating was 59 days. The average was something in the 20s) but they want 0 risk so they set the limit delibrately higher than they think it could possibly be dangerous. Same with weight, people in the borderline region aren't genuinely at risk if they give blood while slightly under the minimum but they set the cutoff point high so that there is no risk at all for anyone following their guidelines.
    Oh really? That's sooner than I thought, great; I'll be able to do it again this Friday then

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 10 stone so they probably wouldn't let me.

ReputationRep:
    I want to but i don't meet the criteria, underweight

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm not feeding vampires.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm not allowed to anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I do still give blood but a lot less often than I used to. I always have an appointment and it is NEVER kept - a 10/15 minute wait is fine but last time I had to leave after they'd kept me waiting for 50 minutes (the time before it was 45 but fortunately then I had time to wait). I missed my lunch break and was late back to work because of it and I didn't even get to give blood!

They should put a lot more effort into keeping people's appointments. I think they think that they need to snare the people who come in off the street by giving them good service but because they know I'm a returning 'customer' they think they can keep me waiting forever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm anaemic and often feel lightheaded so would not be allowed. (and yes I have tried iron tablets but they did little)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.