Why don't you give blood? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have but it drains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    i believe you have to be 18?

i'm on the organ donor register though
    Actually, it's 17. I thought it was 18 too, until December when someone told me...

ReputationRep:
    I went to give blood, filled in the form then the nurse asked me what my weight was then told me I was too underweight to give blood.

ReputationRep:
    I don't weigh enough to do it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not allowed.

ReputationRep:
    anyone who gives blood is doing the same job of our soldiers
    saving lives!
    god bless you

ReputationRep:
    I dont think im allowed too. Some crappy blood clot thing...
    I am an organ donor though

ReputationRep:
    yeah i really want to but

1. i'm terrified of needles, i cried like a baby when i got my HPV jab
    2. i have really bad circulation and my fingers go purple and blue even when its slightly cold, i may be wrong so someone correct me but...if i have bad circulation, i swear that means i dont even have enough blood for myself...let alone others
    3. i weigh about 6 stone...even though i eat like a pig i dont put any weight on, im not anorexic i promise lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't weigh enough and I'm anaemic
    Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notker)
    Why lie? You could make a good argument for it without resorting to lying. It hurts like a ******* *****.
    I don't think it does. The needle going in was painless, i had a problem with my arm though. The way the nurse put it in and left it caused a bit of pain to my arm, but all i needed to do was move my arm a tiny bit, i had to do this about 5 times in 10 minutes. But really, the procedure hardly hurt at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notker)
    Why lie? You could make a good argument for it without resorting to lying. It hurts like a ******* *****.
    Haha, what have you had taking blood from you? Henry the Hoover?

ReputationRep:
    I want to, I've been meaning to ever since I was 17 over a year ago. However, everytime the local place has a blood-donating session, I've been ill, or had a cold, or away; there's always been a reason why I can't, annoyingly. I will do as soon as I can though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    i believe you have to be 18?

i'm on the organ donor register though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Actually, it's 17. I thought it was 18 too, until December when someone told me...

ah cheers for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    I'm an organ donor, but haven't given blood yet. Whenever I see a flyer for it, I'm always like "oh, I'll go on that date and give blood!", and then the date rolls by and I completely forget about it. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I really want to, and i always go and try to do it, but i have a terrible phobia, i just end up freaking out and screaming and going all shakey and faint.
    I do try to, i just cannot control this fear!
    I hate myself for it, but this year my resolution was to grow up a bit and get over it. I truly am determined to give

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    1. i'm terrified of needles, i cried like a baby when i got my HPV jab
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    Needle/Pain phobia.
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    basically I'm scared of needles :erm:
    If you look away and don't think about it, it's fine - talk to the nurse, distract yourself somehow, and it's not really that bad. It only hurts if the nurse stabs you. Trust me, I'm a diabetic - you can get over your needle phobia!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I would love to give blood but I can't because I've had Malaria.

ReputationRep:
    I'm disqualified from doing so, and I don't really want to lie to get round this. I feel guilty about this, but lying seems also bad.

ReputationRep:
    My reasons:

1. I don't weigh enough. The NHS says I can't.
    2. I suffer with a chronic illness of which the cause is unknown.
    3. I have thin veins which are prone to collapsing during blood tests.
    4. I have low blood sugar and blood pressure and have been known to faint at random, nevermind with reason.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.