Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    because im always getting tattoos and ita my blood so its staying with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salavant)
    I'm disqualified from doing so, and I don't really want to lie to get round this. I feel guilty about this, but lying seems also bad.
    Don't feel guilty, atleast you want to give blood. There's loads of people who will never go to give blood who are able to do so.

ReputationRep:
    because i'm diabetic (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    because i'm diabetic (Y)
    Diabetics can give blood, if your blodo sugars are controlled and your hba1c is okay...

ReputationRep:
    It just freaks me out.
    Im not afraid of needles at all, as i can get injections fine. and i really feel bad about not giving blood, but i get so scared about giving blood. i cant handle blood tests either- so its just the fact that blood would be extracted from me. i have no idea why, but whenevr ive tried in the past ive gone completely hysterical.

ReputationRep:
    Because when I went to the centre on Friday, they had a power cut and had to send the equipment away

Will be donating for the something th time tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BojanglesELF)
    It just freaks me out.
    Im not afraid of needles at all, as i can get injections fine. and i really feel bad about not giving blood, but i get so scared about giving blood. i cant handle blood tests either- so its just the fact that blood would be extracted from me. i have no idea why, but whenevr ive tried in the past ive gone completely hysterical.
    I know, I was bad with them until I realised you can just look away and distract yourself. Talk to the nurse, don't look at your arm, take someone with you to talk with, whatever. Just don't think about it and it's fine :3

ReputationRep:
    If someone arranged for me to go and do it I would, I just cba doing it myself atm as I have much on my hands

ReputationRep:
    Legally, I can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Diabetics can give blood, if your blodo sugars are controlled and your hba1c is okay...
    My blood sugars are controlled and my hba1c is okay.
    But thats what the people said so its the answer im taking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    My blood sugars are controlled and my hba1c is okay.
    But thats what the people said so its the answer im taking.
    WHAT? Wow. I've been mislead ;_; Are you type 1 or 2? I wanna give blood damnit, this isn't fair!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cant, carry a genetic disease (like Sickle cell) so they don't want my blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    I know, I was bad with them until I realised you can just look away and distract yourself. Talk to the nurse, don't look at your arm, take someone with you to talk with, whatever. Just don't think about it and it's fine :3
    ive tried D=
    my best friend took me to give blood with her last year, and every time i turned my head to talk to her instead of seeing what the nurse was doing after a few seconds i just screamed and jumped away from the nurse. i know its really silly and i should be able to suck it up but it really makes me a hysterical mess.

ReputationRep:
    Not heavy enough

(They should just be able to take half-pints)

ReputationRep:
    4th February at a centre 1 mile from me. I'm busy in the evening that day but it's a fairly inactive thing, and someone there is a qualified first aider, so I'll do it then so long as I'm not ill.

Also, really weird question but can you give blood when you're on your period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death_on_the_stairs)
    Out of intrest, how long does it take for your blood to 'grow back' so to speak?

Also how much do they take at a time.

I wouldn't mind doing it tbh, but I can imagine a lot of people are in the same boat as me and don't know much about it. The NHS needs to do a decent awareness campaign instead of posting a few flyers in doctors surgeries.
    It takes 16 weeks for your iron levels to restore themselvess to give blood again. That's four months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salavant)
    I'm disqualified from doing so, and I don't really want to lie to get round this. I feel guilty about this, but lying seems also bad.
    If it's for being a bum-bandit then just do it anyway; consider it a free AIDS test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    If you give blood, do you find out your blood type?
    Yeah, they send you a letter with your blood type and a nice donor card a couple of weeks after your first donation.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to give blood because I have had to and will have to receive blood more than likely again in my life time, but unfortunately the main reason I wanted to give blood was the reason I cannot. Even though my consultant said I can.. Boo

Bascially I cannot give blood because I've had heart surgery.

ReputationRep:
    who said i didnt :O
    i give blood
    have done for a few years, keep forgetting to take my card for a coaster though... lol
    x

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.