Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have done before but I can't at the moment because of my tattoo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death_on_the_stairs)
    Very helpful, thanks.

Another question, would using an inhaler prevent me from giving blood? the website was a little vague.
    I wouldnt have thought so, I smoke and it doesnt stop me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    If you give blood, do you find out your blood type?
    Yep..and you get a cool keyring too...and the Blood Donor card. I get the blue one next time I give blood! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to but im not allowed to because i filled out the questionaire but it sayed i failed on the question where it asks you if youve been abroad in the last twelve months which i think is stupid cause that means i can never give blood because i go abroad every year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salavant)
    I'm disqualified from doing so, and I don't really want to lie to get round this. I feel guilty about this, but lying seems also bad.
    This (I presume from your profile!). I really want to, but I can't, even though I've been tested and use protection and stuff. Stupid backward law. Hopefully they'll change it at some point, and then I will do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm anaemic, and I've also travelled to a malaria infected country in the last year. And I have a feeling one of the vaccinations (hepatitis etc.) I've had in the last year requires you to wait as well.

I'd like to give blood in the future, if my anaemia goes away.

ReputationRep:
    Because i'm not allowed to. Stupid rules

ReputationRep:
    I'm too awesome.

In fact, I'm so awesome the awesomeness will remain in the blood and then be passed on to make more awesome people, which I dislike very much.

Because I don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're worried about people catching homosexuality from my blood.

ReputationRep:
    It would be illegal unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Because I have a really horrible thing about needles. It took 2 nurses and my mum to hold me down for a recent blood test, I'm not exactly gonna walk in and get them to stick needles in me out of my own free will.

Also, not everyone CAN donate blood. Homosexuals, people with hepatitis / jaundice / AIDS, people with tattoos, you can't give blood for a few months after you've had a piercing and acupuncture, you have to weigh at least 50kgs / 7st 12lb, people who have colds, pregnant women or those with a baby under 9 months old, people who are taking antibiotics...

The list goes on, but I can't remember anymore, you'll have to google them :P

ReputationRep:
    Because I keep having bloody operations, that's why! Believe me - when I can, I will! xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm too young ATM but when I am old enough I suspect they wouldn't be able to do it without me blacking out, no matter how hard I'd try

If you have any doubts on weather you can give blood or not, have a look at this link and go through the questions

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-bl...-health-check/

ReputationRep:
    I have done. I'm about 9 months late from when I was due to give blood last, because I had been away to a malarial area, then had a persistent cough/cold since. I'm just about clearing up now (with the help of antibiotics!) so should be donating on the 4th

ReputationRep:
    I'ved ticked a box on my UK provisional that If I was to die, the government could use my organs for medical development

So yea...

ReputationRep:
    Because I had a blood transfusion. I never really wanted to before that but now I wish I had done before I had my transfusion because I'm very grateful to whoever's blood I now have in me. So thank you everyone who does donate. And they can have all my organs when I die - I won't have any use for them.

ReputationRep:
    I ain't givin in unless someone's buyin it. I need the monies.
    I am an organ donor though, can't take that money with me!

ReputationRep:
    because they wont be able to use it, my blood isnt good enough

i have an iron deficiency.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.