The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
lookitsdanhunt
I have 'sold' blood, for medical research.

Need to get round to giving blood this year though!

Can anyone sell their blood?
Reply 101
I have but can't for another month or so (tattoo).

And saying it's painless is a lie. A little bruising is normal and you probably wouldn't be playing tennis or lifting weights for a day or so lol :P
I'm not allowed to because they stuff my body full of medication which probably wouldn't be good for anyone else.

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.
Reply 103
lookitsdanhunt
I have 'sold' blood, for medical research.

Need to get round to giving blood this year though!

Can you really do that in England?
O-Negative. Everyone wants my blood...and I give it to em :wink:
I give blood and faint everytime xD I kind of feel like I have too since i'm the rarest blood type (ab-)
Most people i've spoken too just hate the idea of giving their blood or it being taken from them.
greatmonte
I wanted to but im not allowed to because i filled out the questionaire but it sayed i failed on the question where it asks you if youve been abroad in the last twelve months which i think is stupid cause that means i can never give blood because i go abroad every year

This depends on where you've been! You have to say that you've been abroad, but they'll then ask you where you've been. 2 weeks in Ibiza isn't going to disqualify you, 2 weeks in the Congo would be a different matter. Call the NBS and ask them if your holiday location would be an issue.
llama-beans
I have done before.
I tried to last Monday, but because I have difficult veins it takes them a while to find them. I had some idiot guy who thought he could do it anyway. Turns out he couldn't. But now I have a super cool bruise to show for it.
I don't understand why he couldn't just wait for the doctor to come over and do it. Would've only been a few minutes wait and they keep complaining about how they want blood.
Ah well, I'll try again next time.

Yeah that happened to me the first time, and I gave an underweight donation (not the full pint) and ended up with a massive bruise that made me look like a druggy :wink:

The second time someone more senior got called over as the nurse could feel my artery pulsing away when she was touching my vein, so they went for another vein, informing me that mine are really small

But I gave a proper donation that time :smile:

And I'm due to give blood again in March
Reply 108
Notker
If it's for being a bum-bandit then just do it anyway; consider it a free AIDS test.

Pedantry: You can't have an AIDS-test so much as you can have a HIV test. And I'm reasonably certain I have neither.

Part of me doesn't want to lie as a sort of protest: but there's nothing wrong with my blood, and I could help someone by doing so. It's a bit of a silly law: I presume they check the blood anyways before putting it in someone.
Believe me, i'd love to give blood and help someone out...

But I have partial Aneamia so im off the list :frown:
Notker
Why lie? You could make a good argument for it without resorting to lying. It hurts like a ******* bitch.

You got a **** nurse then. I time myself as something to do to try and do it faster each time (what else am I gonna do for 5 minutes [well 4 minutes 54 seconds :woo: ]?) I didn't even realise it had gone in until I looked back at my arm and noticed the nurse walking away. I thought he was still prepping my arm... Seriously the haemoglobin test hurts more and that's no more than pricking yourself with a needle or a badge or something.
OGC
It's painless and a mild inconvenience; it saves lives.

In short i have a blood circulatory problem to which i take Nifidipine for and therefore i cannot give blood
Because I don't want some other goon running round with my blood.
Reply 113
Salavant
Pedantry: You can't have an AIDS-test so much as you can have a HIV test. And I'm reasonably certain I have neither.

Part of me doesn't want to lie as a sort of protest: but there's nothing wrong with my blood, and I could help someone by doing so. It's a bit of a silly law: I presume they check the blood anyways before putting it in someone.

Yes ALL donated blood is tested before its given to someone else, I think they even know exactly which person donated it as there is patient sticker on the donation bag.Personally I think its discrimination that gay men arent allowed to donate their blood, as like I said, its thoroughly tested before being given to anyone else.
I have a serious phobia of needles and anaemia that comes and goes.
anemia :colonhash:
Reply 116
Ive given up trying, been 5-6 times and been told i cant for various reasons
Reply 117
a lot of peoples veins are too narrow - i had that problem. i give blood but it takes much longer than a normal person, but if they were any narrower it wouldnt be possible
christ i've signed a form that says i'm going to give away all my organs should i be healthy when i die, i'll give blood when i'm ready :p:
I've only just stopped being anaemic. I want to keep all my iron and haemoglobin for myself.

Latest

Trending

Trending