Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_a_y)
    Why dont you donate on a weekly basis then?
    It would probably be unhealthy as you'd be losing too much blood, that's why they only let you do it every 3 months or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatmonte)
    I wanted to but im not allowed to because i filled out the questionaire but it sayed i failed on the question where it asks you if youve been abroad in the last twelve months which i think is stupid cause that means i can never give blood because i go abroad every year
    I'm the same. What a silly question, I go abroad at least once a year. Who the heck doesn't?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For one thing, I've been sexual with other men, so I'm banned from donating.

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared of needles....

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my blood would be much good I never eat iron,
    does that mean I need it all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_No_Supergirl)
    I don't think my blood would be much good I never eat iron,
    does that mean I need it all?
    Not necesseralily - i would go to a session and the first test they do is test for iron, they can tell you on the day - straight after a needle in the finger - if you have enough iron to give blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    I'm the same. What a silly question, I go abroad at least once a year. Who the heck doesn't?
    Going abroad doesn't stop you from donating blood, unless you go to malarial areas (in which case you can't donate for 6 months after). If that's on the online questionaire, yeah, it's stupid at that point because it doesn't ask you to clarify, but if you actually read the rules it's just about malarial areas.

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to give blood, it's a wonderful idea. but.... i'm on medication for the rest of my life stupid genetics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Bartram)
    Takes 16 weeks to get iton back.

It is possible to donate every two weeks, you are attached to this machine that takes platelets out of you blood, it the recycles your blood back into your body - this takes around 80 - 90 mins.
    But for some odd reason they only let men donate platelets. :confused: It might be something to do with weight though, as the welsh blood service just says you have to be over 9 stone something (as opposed to needing to be 7 st 12 to donate blood).

ReputationRep:
    I'm squeemish.

ReputationRep:
    I won't get press-ganged into doing it and call it 'good will' because I have little choice in it, I'll do it when I feel I should.
    Plus I have AIDS. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    It can take up to a month or so for something like HIV to be able to show up on the tests they run.
    Well, I grok that: but I haven't had sex for ooh, ages. Why the lifetime ban?

ReputationRep:
    I am scared of pain :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    The online thing is a bit wrong.. I think it means if you've been outside the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I don't always meet the minimum weight requirement so my mummy isn't too keen
    Plus a newly developed fear of sharp things after the HPV jab!!
    I really want to though, definitely will one day.

ReputationRep:
    I would if I could but I've had a blood transfusion too. I don't really understand why I can't .... surely the blood given to me would've been checked for BSE and if I gave blood mine would be checkd just as everyone elses would be for BSE ??

ReputationRep:
    terrified of needles and in any case I'm on medication which means I can't AND I'm anaemic so they wouldn't take it out of me :p:

ReputationRep:
    I filled out the online questionnaire and it says I wasn't eligible because I'd been out of the UK in the past 12 months. Do they seriously think I'm gonna catch AIDS on a 4 day trip to Italy?!

How many people can say they haven't been out of the UK for a year? Not many I know. It's ludicrous!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I do! B positive .

But I got a tattoo in October and so I'm waiting for the four months until you can give again to be over.

ReputationRep:
    too young atm

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.