Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    High blood pressure, and the fact I take so much medication I rattle.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to give blood but I don't meet the weight limit.
    If I ever put on weight I would though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I filled out the online questionnaire and it says I wasn't eligible because I'd been out of the UK in the past 12 months. Do they seriously think I'm gonna catch AIDS on a 4 day trip to Italy?!

How many people can say they haven't been out of the UK for a year? Not many I know. It's ludicrous!!!!
    That's really only a screening thing - obviously their online tool is a bit too sensitive! If you go along to a session then you'll be asked a couple of questions and almost certainly be told it's fine. Europe is pretty much no problem, further afield you may have to wait a while after coming back because of the risks of e.g. malaria, West Nile Virus etc. It's usually a 6 month wait after coming back from a malarious area, but I doubt they'll have a problem with Italy! (In fact I know they don't as I've been there, done that myself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I would, but unfortunately, people could get high off my blood.
    You mean vampirism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That's really only a screening thing - obviously their online tool is a bit too sensitive! If you go along to a session then you'll be asked a couple of questions and almost certainly be told it's fine. Europe is pretty much no problem, further afield you may have to wait a while after coming back because of the risks of e.g. malaria, West Nile Virus etc. It's usually a 6 month wait after coming back from a malarious area, but I doubt they'll have a problem with Italy! (In fact I know they don't as I've been there, done that myself).
    Ooh that's brilliant. I might see when the next donation is in my area, in that case.
    Thanks Helenia!

ReputationRep:
    I'm too young to give blood, but is it true they pay you???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    You mean vampirism?
    Lol. Yeah I'm a living true blood vampire.

No, it's just that I sometimes like a bifter/night out on the sweets and I can never guarantee my blood will be free from narcotics so its best if I kept my blood to myself, really.

ReputationRep:
    As of January 5th, I do :yep:
    Feels good to be able to help people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I'm too young to give blood, but is it true they pay you???
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianvygus)
    I would love to give blood but I don't meet the weight limit.
    If I ever put on weight I would though.
    You strangely remind me of Dakota Fanning in your profile pic :p:

ReputationRep:
    A hell of a lot of people can't through not meeting the requirements.
    I fail on quite a few counts.

ReputationRep:
    Because I will pass out.

ReputationRep:
    I keep meaning to... but I'm procrastinating. Scared of needles. *ahem*
    I will next time... you've swayed me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm too skinny!

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone has the same trouble I have when giving blood?

My veins are really deep set into my arm. The last two times I've been to give blood they've been able to get blood out of either arm. The process of trying to find a vein was really painful and when they thought they go it, it proceeded to go through and causes major bruising.

I'm gutted that its happened twice. It's not put me off, but I just find myself thinking that I'm wasting time their time, as they cant actually get anything useful out of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Thank you, I think. [=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    YES!!!!

But prettier. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If they want to pay me for it they can have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianvygus)
    Thank you, I think. [=
    She's pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Ooh that's brilliant. I might see when the next donation is in my area, in that case.
    Thanks Helenia!
    Glad to help, good luck with it!

I'm just looking up local sessions in my area now. I've not been for AGES as I went to Africa, then just as I was coming to the end of my 6 months off after that, I got a needlestick injury, so had to wait a year. I should get started again though, especially as my poor bf is quite likely to need some over the next few months...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.