Turn on thread page Beta

A message from your very favouritist leadership team watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I'm ganna get zeppelins to drop pro-me propaganda
    No, no, no!! You want helicopters and Lancaster Bombers!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Umm...

Grand idea Dayne, but ya might miss your target audience? :p:
    I'll drop enough to hit every audience
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Propaganda FTW. I also think the parties have a responsibility to contact all their members who have been inactive in an attempt to get them active again.

It really doesn't help that 4 party leaders have gone within the past 3 days though!
    I used to do that as lib dem leader, to nearly complete failure.

ReputationRep:
    Propaganda FTW. I also think the parties have a responsibility to contact all their members who have been inactive in an attempt to get them active again.

It really doesn't help that 4 party leaders have gone within the past 3 days though!
    I agree, although there is a fine balance. No one wants to be bombarded or hounded, in fact just updates will automatically get people re-interested (especially if carefully worded) without having to reprimand them.

It can't be coincidence that so many have gone at the same time, there is clearly a problem of stagnation and, according to my brilliantly adapted Butler Model, we need to rejuvenate or face a period of decline.

ReputationRep:
    I'll drop enough to hit every audience
    Whoa you've got vision :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I just think a lot of new TSR members simply don't know about the HoC. There are plenty of people in the debating forums (eg Uk Politics). I think the speaker should put a big advert in the UK politics forum saying what all the parties do, who we are, etc.

This is deffo true, even though I am part of the lib dems (:woo: ), this is a very recent thing and I still don't know anything much about the HoC, apart from that it exists, same with stuff such as UN etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    This is deffo true, even though I am part of the lib dems (:woo: ), this is a very recent thing and I still don't know anything much about the HoC, apart from that it exists, same with stuff such as UN etc.
    This has a lot of helpful info. Also just bombard your party sub-forum with lots of questions until you feel more confident. Take part in discussions, maybe get elected as an MP, it's easier than it may seem to get into the midst of it all.

ReputationRep:
    I've asked the mods if we can do some advertising, but another idea I've had floating around a while is to give us a fresh start. Remove all current HoC law and start again as it were. That way we won't run out of ideas so fast for at least a little while.
    Exactly what I was thinking my good sir.

Thanks to all who have posted

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I suggested a restart bill back in movember in our sub forum, perhaps it's time I submitted it for debate. It's true the place is stagnating, we've now got so many bills that most bills newcomers want to discuss are old news and the majority of the house aren't bothered about.

Exact wording of the bill back in november -

1. All bills passed more than 3 tsr parliamentary sessions ago are repealed and archived in a wiki history of the tsr hoc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_jeopardy)
    Bill Bailey.
    Congratulations on being the first to get that.

Indie, that amendment you speak of is something I've already asked tucker to send me so I can propose a versio of it if you don't. Care to cut out the middle man? :p:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Aye, I suggested a restart bill back in movember in our sub forum, perhaps it's time I submitted it for debate. It's true the place is stagnating, we've now got so many bills that most bills newcomers want to discuss are old news and the majority of the house aren't bothered about.

Exact wording of the bill back in november -

1. All bills passed more than 3 tsr parliamentary sessions ago are repealed and archived in a wiki history of the tsr hoc.
    Well the links in hansard could all remain. I would suggest simply saying that from the date it passes all HoC law is repealed. The 3 sessions thing just complicates stuff. If we ever need a mass repeal again it could be done at some future point.

ReputationRep:
    Ok good, only today actually quite a topical bill was proposed in our sub-forum but as it had already been passed it couldn't be submitted. Many of these bills could really inspire some good debate.

ReputationRep:
    I used to do that as lib dem leader, to nearly complete failure.
    Yeah, when I was Labour Leader I remember sending a PM out to all members reminding them to vote in the General Election. Of over 120 members, I think about 30 read...

ReputationRep:
    Mm, I know about it, that bill in addition to stuff like legalisation of euthanasia and drugs, same sex marriages, changing of voting agea and tax policy etc; the stuff most people want to do is done.

ReputationRep:
    Well the links in hansard could all remain. I would suggest simply saying that from the date it passes all HoC law is repealed. The 3 sessions thing just complicates stuff. If we ever need a mass repeal again it could be done at some future point.
    Aye, well the three session was so as to ensure the house didn't creep into this sort of stagnant state resulting in members leaving and such. But I guess if it got into a state then a restart could be simple enough to do again.

I wouldn't want to make the previous bills too noticeable, as it'd result in people just copying past work, or losing motivation to write a bill seeing that it had all been done before. Perhaps a sort of hidden away section of wiki that only the really interested could find...
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Yeah, when I was Labour Leader I remember sending a PM out to all members reminding them to vote in the General Election. Of over 120 members, I think about 30 read...
    Yer, I used to send out a mass PM every week, hopping to get more people into the hoc by telling them what was going on in the lib dem sub forum and having votes and things. It was a partial success in that it made us more active, but not as much as I would have hoped and that didn't transfer so well into the HoC, with them staying more in the sub forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Congratulations on being the first to get that.

Indie, that amendment you speak of is something I've already asked tucker to send me so I can propose a versio of it if you don't. Care to cut out the middle man?
    Aye I'll send it to Dayne tonight and get discussion started on it formally, now's as good a time as any.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Aye, well the three session was so as to ensure the house didn't creep into this sort of stagnant state resulting in members leaving and such. But I guess if it got into a state then a restart could be simple enough to do again.

I wouldn't want to make the previous bills too noticeable, as it'd result in people just copying past work, or losing motivation to write a bill seeing that it had all been done before. Perhaps a sort of hidden away section of wiki that only the really interested could find...
    I could always create a new HoC wiki page for previous legislation. Just copy the existing wiki hansard over to a new page. If every session wiped out the bils from 3 sessions ago I think people would just copy those bills though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    I agree, although there is a fine balance. No one wants to be bombarded or hounded, in fact just updates will automatically get people re-interested (especially if carefully worded) without having to reprimand them.

It can't be coincidence that so many have gone at the same time, there is clearly a problem of stagnation and, according to my brilliantly adapted Butler Model, we need to rejuvenate or face a period of decline.
    I agree about the need for a fine balance. I think each party should create a communication chief to keep members updated.

Your going to have to inform me about this....Butler Model.......

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the need for a fine balance. I think each party should create a communication chief to keep members updated.

Your going to have to inform me about this....Butler Model.......
    Well that would obviously be up to each individual party to decide. And the Butler Model is just something I had on my mind - it's a lifecycle model for tourism which I was using for my geography coursework. Dw :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.