Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A message from your very favouritist leadership team Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I have already announced my formal resignation in the subforum for reasons that won't be displayed in the main HoC; I'll leave you to speculate.
    Gay sex scandal between you and T&J.

Easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Well that would obviously be up to each individual party to decide. And the Butler Model is just something I had on my mind - it's a lifecycle model for tourism which I was using for my geography coursework. Dw :p:
    Ahh I see. I'll look up the Butler Model some more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Ahh I see. I'll look up the Butler Model some more!
    It isn't hugely interesting, I'll post the diagram (which is distinctly uncomplicated, GCSE style) if you like... (you will be disappointed :p: )

ReputationRep:
    It isn't hugely interesting, I'll post the diagram (which is distinctly uncomplicated, GCSE style) if you like... (you will be disappointed :p: )
    I look forward to it :p:

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to it :p:

Replace 'Number of tourists' with 'Number of active members' and hey presto! I hypothesise that we are at stage 5, stagnation.

Complicated stuff

Edit: Oops, bigger than I thought.

ReputationRep:

Replace 'Number of tourists' with 'Number of active members' and hey presto! I hypothesise that we are at stage 5, stagnation.

Complicated stuff

Edit: Oops, bigger than I thought.
    Oh I've seen that before in GCSE business but to do with a product's life cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I've seen that before in GCSE business but to do with a product's life cycle.
    Yep, it can be adapted to pretty much any life cycle (apart from biological life cycles).

Said you'd be disappointed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I have already announced my formal resignation in the subforum for reasons that won't be displayed in the main HoC; I'll leave you to speculate.
    AIDS?

Incestuous relationships?

Found out you were born a hermaphrodite?

Pregnant?

All of the above? :woo:

(you did say we could speculate )

ReputationRep:
    Play the game, ohhohhh, everybody play the gaaaammmeeee.....

OF LOVE.

ReputationRep:
    I echo the call for new blood. It is needed to keep the system alive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I echo the call for new blood. It is needed to keep the system alive!
    Is that you or your avatar talking?

ReputationRep:
    This discussion is very odd.

As a Libertarian I'm quite happy if the HoC doesn't do anything. If we've run out of things to ban or inconveniences to foist on people or schemes to spend public money on then yippee!

The reality, I think, is this - the HoC has had the debates already. Since the voting system is not rigged in favour of a single part majority we avoid the cycles of repeal, introduction, repeal, introduction etc. So the debates have been done and all you're suggesting is doing them again as if this isn't stagnation. It's called "livelock" - lots being done but nothing productive.

Bringing in new blood will not create new problems to solve or new angles on the debates that have been raging in the HoC since it started and in the world for a considerably longer time. It simply leaves room for those same debates to be had again.

If you want action then change the voting system to produce majorities that can do stuff and every decade or so there'll be a swing and a new HoC undoing the old stuff and doing new stuff.

In conclusion:
    The problem - we're finished the game. The solution - start again. The reality - only livelock left.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Since we never have to deal with the consequences of whatever we've done, there's never much need to amend the bills we've passed. Sure, we can have the debates again by just attempting to repeal bills separately, but that's much less fun.

ReputationRep:
    See, I disagree. The Lib's recent tax/poverty bill is a long way away from anything we've had before. There's a lot we haven't done yet, and there's always real life developments to react to. We've only had this HoC running under a New Labour government, so reacting to Tory laws (as seems likely) adds another dimension. Plus all the random bits life throws at us.

T&J: How does repealing all bills change anything with regards to having the same debates again? It's just whether we have them with the background of RL law or the background of TSR law. That's the only difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    See, I disagree. The Lib's recent tax/poverty bill is a long way away from anything we've had before. There's a lot we haven't done yet, and there's always real life developments to react to. We've only had this HoC running under a New Labour government, so reacting to Tory laws (as seems likely) adds another dimension. Plus all the random bits life throws at us.
    The same can be said about the Child Poverty Bill I brought forward...

ReputationRep:
    Very true. I'm actually quite positive about how things are going, as we've moved from simplistic debates about principles that often miss the huge differences policy details make to practical (and obviously still slightly simplified) bills.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to see you leave the post, T&J. I have to agree, the HoC is somewhat in trouble. Perhaps if you all had voted for my TV licensing private member's bill a couple of sessions back, this wouldn't be happening :p:

Spoiler:
    Show
    But probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)

T&J: How does repealing all bills change anything with regards to having the same debates again? It's just whether we have them with the background of RL law or the background of TSR law. That's the only difference.
    True, we've not done everything. But we've done a lot.

I'm not sure, Drogue. Probably because there are always people who say "we've already got a law on that" as opposed to "let's change the law". Though, granted, there's an amendment coming out of the Lib Dems as soon as Leo bothers to write it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I don't think the HoC will be here this time next year.
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    I think it will Metrobeans but not for long. Its dieing.
    A great shame methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    True, we've not done everything. But we've done a lot.

I'm not sure, Drogue. Probably because there are always people who say "we've already got a law on that" as opposed to "let's change the law". Though, granted, there's an amendment coming out of the Lib Dems as soon as Leo bothers to write it...
    We only say "we've already got a law on that" if the same or a very similar law already exists. Like me wanting a right to die law, then realising we have one here. If someone says, "I want to change education/healthcare/benefits/the system of government/employment laws/etc.", they can just as easily.

It's like saying someone can propose an inheritence tax law here but not if we revert as there's already one IRL. RL has laws we don't just as the other way around.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.