Turn on thread page Beta

what are the quickest and m ost efficient ways to find a job watch

ReputationRep:
    i live in a city so youd think i would have so much opportunity but im struggling.
    when i look at a shopping centre website theres either 0 or 1 or 2 jobs going, out of the whole shopping centre...

then theres other places but they dont seem to advertise on jobcentreplus and they often dont list current vacancies on their website either, so what am i meant to do???

should you send cvs just anywhere and everywhere regardless of whether you know their recruiting??

my dream part time job would be in a theatre but there just seems to be nothing advertised anywhere. i dont have much experience so im not really too fussed where i work.
    im applying for a couple from jobcentreplus but their not really very ideal jobs as id rather work in the city centre for transport reasons...

what would be the best way to find a job, i dont really want to go in and ask at every single place, is there another way?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're only jobhunting on the internet which is usually useless, you'll have to go in and ask as many places as you can. Mcdonalds or KFC usually have jobs online though. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend worked for 1.5 years at a famous theatre in London. It's really, really poorly paid and apparently very mundane (selling programs, refreshments) I havent bothered to check how old you are, so I dont know if you are looking for a specific rate per hour. ALso , said theatre plays the same show every day for months too and that's apparently gets really annoying and boring. Obviously not all theatres work the same way, butI would do your research and get in touch with which ever theatres you have in mind to see what the job entails.

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in theatre work, check the websites of your local theatres to see if they have any work available. I know the main theatre where I live has a whole section for ushers, backstage people, cloakroom attendants, etc. You could always ask them in person or email them too to see if there is any work available.

If nothing comes up then maybe you could consider volunteering? You ca work on your experience by volunteering at a local drama group or amateur theatres if that's something that will interest you? It will give you an idea of whether that is the right environment for you to be working in and whether or not you will enjoy it. It looks great on your CV too if you can find a theatre job to apply for in the future because it shows you have some idea of what the job might entail.

Otherwise, try your local council website (which always has lots of jobs relating to libraries, admin, etc) as well as checking the job centre website. I found my job on there but it was also advertised in the local press and church newsletters, so try checking newspapers and local magazines too. Ask instore and hand out copies of your CV to shops. You could always try the recruitment section of websites for stores as well but personally I've never really found them very useful.

Sometimes you just have to go in and ask places if they have any vacancies. If it's something you really want you just have to keep at it until something comes along.

ReputationRep:
    You have to know first if what do you like to do and make a list. You can apply thoroughly online or go offline job hunting.

ReputationRep:
    The reason there are so few jobs online is probably because employers have a fistful of CV's in their hand they have been handed over the months. Why bother paying for advertising online when you can just phone up these guys who handed in their CV's? You should give CV handing at least a shot for a day or two, you could be surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    The reason there are so few jobs online is probably because employers have a fistful of CV's in their hand they have been handed over the months. Why bother paying for advertising online when you can just phone up these guys who handed in their CV's? You should give CV handing at least a shot for a day or two, you could be surprised.
    I disagree with this, I've tried this in various places and not got anywhere.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.