Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1. Can I become a diplomat with a languages degree containing some politics modules?

I know that all majors are accepted.

But as competition for the fast-track is fierce and I would like to get into diplomacy, do I need an undergraduate degree fully in international relations or economics/engineering etc?

Also, which jobs would be a good preparatory path for this career? Small governmental jobs or political NGOs?

Or could I pursue a languages path such as an interpreter/teacher?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    1. Can I become a diplomat with a languages degree containing some politics modules?

I know that all majors are accepted.

But as competition for the fast-track is fierce and I would like to get into diplomacy, do I need an undergraduate degree fully in international relations or economics/engineering etc?
    No but good ECs and work experience help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    No but good ECs and work experience help a lot.
    This,

But only in order to help achieve the competencies.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Oxbridge, study any degree, then join the Foriegn Office. Its the most straight forward route.

Its also a good idea to learn to eat a variety of odd foods like offal, insects and have a high tolerance for alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Go to Oxbridge, study any degree, then join the Foriegn Office. Its the most straight forward route.

Its also a good idea to learn to eat a variety of odd foods like offal, insects and have a high tolerance for alcohol.
    What grade do you go in at by that route and how is that preferable to entry via the Fast Stream?

ReputationRep:
    I girl I know join the FO FS from Oxford with a 2i in PPE. She joined the FO, then learned Mandarin and was posted to the embassy in Beijing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I girl I know join the FO FS from Oxford with a 2i in PPE. She joined the FO, then learned Mandarin and was posted to the embassy in Beijing.
    So you were saying the Fast Stream route not main stream?

Since the first three sections of the application process are university blind does being Oxbridge (as opposed to just being 'good') really help?
    The guy I know who got in went to York for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you were saying the Fast Stream route not main stream?

Since the first three sections of the application process are university blind does being Oxbridge (as opposed to just being 'good') really help?
    The guy I know who got in went to York for example.
    I don't know what % were oxbridge. I would think its helpful to come from a good uni.

Social skills are very important in diplomancy so if you intend to enter the diplomatic service. Its important to demostrate you have good social skills so don't skip on the social side of uni like taking an active part in student societies.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers. Is it usual to have a postgrad degree before application or solely an undergrad degree?

I will have a degree from Nottingham, not Oxbridge. Is that acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    Thanks for the answers. Is it usual to have a postgrad degree before application or solely an undergrad degree?

I will have a degree from Nottingham, not Oxbridge. Is that acceptable?
    I would suggest talking to the HR people at the FO about the criteria for recruitment to various posts. You don't have to be a diplomat to work in the FO and some people change roles within the FO, they might start in one department then move to different posts and different countries.

The girl I knew worked in the embassy as second secretary in Peking, then returned to the FO in London and worked in HR.

I see no problem with applicants with degrees from other unis as long as it meets their criteria.

ReputationRep:
    As far as the Diplomatic Service goes, all you need is an Undergraduate Degree at 2:1 and then you can apply. It doesn't matter if it's not Oxbridge - whoever told you that you absolutely have to go to Oxbridge to get into the FO is talking a whole load of ****.

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/jobs/...eam/index.aspx

Read it. It will tell you everything you need to know. Applications open in September 2010.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SamSam*)
    at 2:1 and then you can apply.

whoever told you that you absolutely have to go to Oxbridge to get into the FO is talking a whole load of ****.
    Whoever says you need a 2.1 is talking a whole load of ****. Unless you're joining Diplomatic Fast Stream for Economists.

ReputationRep:
    I stand corrected - last year they were quite specific that you needed a 2:1 to apply for the FO. Apparently not this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SamSam*)
    I stand corrected - last year they were quite specific that you needed a 2:1 to apply for the FO. Apparently not this year.
    Trust me, they didn't.

Edit
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post19674665

Post 19

ReputationRep:
    Well that is what I was told, at an event, weeks before I applied to the scheme. Obviously I'm still here, not in the scheme, so I didn't even get to the interview stage; so I don't know how much of a difference it would make to have a 2:1 over a 2:2, but I can assume it would go in your favour, despite them stating 2:2 only.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.