Turn on thread page Beta

makeover at burlingtons, please read watch

ReputationRep:
    am a uni student and last week this lady who worked for richard and judy came to our uni and chose 25 girls to take part in their promotion. At first we were all thinking is this a scam but after looking online, phoning and confirming they were completely legit. They work for the stylist of richard and judy and have started a new make up collection called new id studios.
    To promote this make up which apparently "is as good as mac" they have being going to a couple of unis including mine to get girls to buy some stuff and hopefully help promote their make up collection.

I paid quite a lot of money for the package and now that I think about it, I only want some of it and the others I would just like to sell.
    The package which I paid for £80 quid includes:
    1. a complete make over at Burlington's, which includes cleaning, conditioning your hair, new haircut, blow dry, facial cleanse, moisturise, make up and magazine style photoshoot. You get to view the pictures you took and they will print and frame it. All this is done by professionals -- the highly trained Burlington stylists. On top of this on the day of the make over you get free drinks: shampane, wine, and lots of food. This package is worth £500. I'll scan a picture of my ticket, pass onto here so you guys can see that it is not a spam... This ticket/pass whatever you call it expires on 13/1/2011. so you can use it any time. All you have to do is book in advance and take this pass to burlington's (i know there is one in birmingham and london) but there should be some elsewhere too and you will get it all done.

When I paid 80 pounds, it included the makeover, 4 tickets to any club in london and vip, plus some paintballing tickets.

I was really surprised to here this when they told me, because well, comeon it sounds all good to be true but the way they make their money is through the photos. Everyone is entitled to only one photo each, and many people once they notice how nice the pictures are they relly just cant stop themselves buyin more photos and each of these extra photos cost £100 each. But the main reason why they are doing this is to try and promote their make up collection new id cosmetics london.

The reason why I am selling this is because I've never really being that much into hair cuts etc, like last year i spent £15 on a hair cut and that was it. so i would like to sell that part of my package just to get some money back. there is just no point throwing it away.

I will start the price at £40 for the make over, please tell me if you are interested and I will put it on ebay.
    I know this may sound just completely fake but if you don't believe me I will provide a refund for those who end up going to burlington's studios and they say to you, this pass is not eligible...etc

here are the scanned doc for the make over:
    link
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1
    its the first two images at the top, i dont know how to upload pic onto here sorry

ReputationRep:
    Are you even sure that you can sell just one portion of your makeover? I read the terms and conditions on the website, and it states " Makeover Photoshoot packages are valid for one person, unless stated otherwise on the voucher.". Whether that means that only one person can use the package, or whether only one person can use the separate components of the package, isn't really clear.

As you say, I think their primary way of making money here is in selling you the photographs after the makeover. I am sure once you've had your photos done you'll get the hard sell. If they told you they're doing this to promote their makeup line, I very much doubt that is the case (especially given how tiny their range is, and the fact they call themselves "the makeover photoshoot experts" on their website).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Are you even sure that you can sell just one portion of your makeover? I read the terms and conditions on the website, and it states " Makeover Photoshoot packages are valid for one person, unless stated otherwise on the voucher.". Whether that means that only one person can use the package, or whether only one person can use the separate components of the package, isn't really clear.

As you say, I think their primary way of making money here is in selling you the photographs after the makeover. I am sure once you've had your photos done you'll get the hard sell. If they told you they're doing this to promote their makeup line, I very much doubt that is the case (especially given how tiny their range is, and the fact they call themselves "the makeover photoshoot experts" on their website).
    no the make over isn't a "package" with the paintballing, VIP tickets to the clubs. Each of them is a separate ticket. the makeover's package includes moisturising, haircut, photoshoot, the drinks, the food, make up, etc etc. im not selling a part of the make over if that is what u are saying, im selling teh whole makeover. it is completely separate from the other things i got. Also the person who sold me the ticket said if i dont want the make over it would be great to give it to someone as a present.

ReputationRep:
    is nobody interested.

i really don't want it, i mean im going to china in the summer for a holiday and i can get haircuts over there for £10. it would be stupid for me to have my haircut here in june and another one in july in china.

how about £30, anyone interested

here's a link to the video:
    http://www.newidexperiences.com/index.php

ReputationRep:
    its a rip-off. they then charge you £40 p&p for your one chosen 'free print'. They blag you that you can buy a disk with 8 images or so for £350 but 'oh as you girls were so lovely il offer it to you for 120' ... it might seem like a fabulous deal...but they never intended to sell it at the first price anyway! They are extremely pushy and if you dont agree to it they get very rude and say your time to pick photos is up, pick one and leave the room for someone else.

I paid £50 for the package apparently worth '350' plus paintballing plus vip entrance etc.... load of *^^%$(*% !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Burlingtons/New ID studios in Newcastle, my mum had bought me a package that included the hair cut and style, makeup and photoshoot as well as the complimentary print.

Unlike Acacia, I found them to be far from pushy and they gave me my free print with free postage. The only things I paid for when I was there were the false lashes they used on me, and a 2nd photo (and I think I paid £30 for both, so I definitely haggled!). Admittedly I really pushed the fact I was already modelling and have an extensive portfolio, so they didn't even bother trying to hard-sell me and certainly didn't rush me to choose my photos. I'd seen a group come out and one girl bought a photo on top of her free print and she paid considerably more than me. They will sell at full price if you don't haggle - they get bonuses to do just that. However I dont think they're as pushy as people claim.

The hair team were lovely, i'd been on a shoot the day before and my hair was absolute carnage, but the stylist was so lovely and he did a fantastic job of putting it up (I decided to use the shoot to get some basic eveningwear shots for my book). They won't cut it if it doesn't need cutting, i'd had mine trimmed 3 weeks earlier so all he did was tidy it up a little and then put it up.

The makeup artist was your fairly standard fare. She knew what she was doing and did a great job on everything except my false lashes, which ended up a little uneven looking. The makeup they use is very gentle and doesn't feel heavy at all.

The photographer wasn't the greatest. Her communication skills were lacking and she didn't seem to grasp the fact that as a professional model, I knew how lighting and posing worked so I didn't need the babyish direction. A few of the shots ended up out of focus as well which made choosing a little easier but it was still a shame. However, different photographers I saw on the day seemed more dynamic and I think I would've got some better shots had I shot with those instead of the woman I was shooting with. The studio room I was in wasn't the biggest either and really limited what I could do, but other rooms seemed HUGE so its pot luck really.

Overall I don't know if i'd pay to go again but for something special as a one off it's not exactly a "rip off" if you are firm with them about how many photos you want. I just do so much modelling these days I don't need to go somewhere like that and pay for updating my book.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen these Burlington make over day packages on lastminute.com for 15 quid.

ReputationRep:
    I had a really fantastic time when I had a makeover with New ID. I got there late, and they were really good about it, took my coat as soon as I got in, then I was offered a drink of either Bucks Fizz or Champagne, it was a bit early in the day for me to start drinking so I had a cup of tea instead.
    I had to wait about ten minutes for my consultation, the woman was really nice and told me all about the day and how it was going to work out and then asked me how I wanted to look and if I had any ideas for styles and things like that, she showed me some books to get some ideas and then, and I was pretty impressed with this, made sure there was nothing I really wanted to avoid and nothing I had any allergy to so that was pretty cool;
    I had my nails polished, it was not a manicure as such but the colour was really pretty. Then after that I had to wait about fifteen minutes before having my hair washed and conditioned, cut and styled, colour was not included in my package. The cut was really nice and suited my face and was different enough to notice but not so dramatic that I didn’t recognize myself which is sort of what I wanted.
    There was not wait at all between that and having my make up done, which I really did enjoy and wanted them to make me look totally different, which they did and I was really impressed, I couldn’t believe how good it looked.
    I only took along 2 outfits for the photos, I wish that I had taken a long more now because it was really good fun but I was very happy with the clothes that I did take.
    The photographer was mega friendly and made the whole shoot really good fun and it was very easy to follow what he was trying to get me to do.
    Then came the boring bit, 45 minute for the pictures to come back but it was well worth it, they were awesome. I wish I could have afforded more of them but they are pretty expensive, I think if I go again I would use the role over deal where you pay up front and then they put in what you do, but I was not sure how much I was going to like the pictures, I really wish I had done it now!
    I am happy to recommend New ID it’s a great place and I really enjoyed the experience

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2011
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.