Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    Know what? I think Biology is useless at A Level. Pretty much everything I've learnt from Biology that would possibly be useful to me during a degree in Medicine I've learnt from Chemistry. Im actually considering going to my insurance offer (Medicinal and Biological Chemistry) before doing Medicine to better prepare myself for the course. There's been some rows about it with Tutors and parents, but I honestly think the knowledge taught these days lacks a lot of the pharmacological side.
    I've heard the biology exams (especially AQA) are awful. Hardly any real science and very subjective. Apparently they got asked how they would store mice in the unit 2 retake :mmm:
    TBH AQA are crap for physics too. In the physics specimen one of the questions is about the pros and cons of tracking road vehicles :facepalm:
    Chemistry wise my advice would be to do as well as you can at AS.
    A2 is a *****. But if you have to resit a module it's not the end of the world as the papers become synoptic.
    Oh and don't think just because the ISAs are only worth 20% or the AS it doesn't matter if you do badly. At the end of the day how bad would you feel if you lost out on your uni place becasue of a crappy ISA mark? Every UMS counts man...

ReputationRep:
    In my second year of chemistry A level, and I've found it to be easier than Physics and some of the A2 maths modules. From what I hear its also a lot easier than Biology A-Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    I've heard the biology exams (especially AQA) are awful. Hardly any real science and very subjective. Apparently they got asked how they would store mice in the unit 2 retake :mmm:
    TBH AQA are crap for physics too. In the physics specimen one of the questions is about the pros and cons of tracking road vehicles :facepalm:
    Chemistry wise my advice would be to do as well as you can at AS.
    A2 is a *****. But if you have to resit a module it's not the end of the world as the papers become synoptic.
    Oh and don't think just because the ISAs are only worth 20% or the AS it doesn't matter if you do badly. At the end of the day how bad would you feel if you lost out on your uni place becasue of a crappy ISA mark? Every UMS counts man...
    you heard right, theres no more science on them anymore, its pathetic. luckily theres very little HSW and application in chemistry so its much easier in that respect, the exam questions are straight forward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyyazzy6)
    I hate chemistry. I'm going to fail tomorrow and not meet my uni offer. Chem is going to end my life.

Sorry for the pessimism
    Yay for pessimism! I'm in the same predicament although (thank goodness) I only have to get a B.

BLEH CHEMISTRY RUINS MY LIFE

ReputationRep:
    I found A-level chemistry a huge struggle, I scraped a B in the end by my god, it took so many retakes to get that. Funny thing is, I really enjoyed the subject and consequently found it no struggle to put a lot of work in to it, but I guess I was just slow to pick things up and string them together. It was always my favourite subject though, so I always had the motivation to keep on trying. As for GCSE's, I got an A.

(Original post by Scoobyben)
    From what I hear its also a lot easier than Biology A-Level
    Hell to the no! :emo:
    I suppose it varies between exam boards and such, but for me (OCR old spec), biology was far more simple to understand, it was just the sheer amount of content there was to the modules which made it a struggle at times. Biology was basically a memory test though, rather than having to apply your knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Its hard. But i love it this year so i dont mind putting the effort in. If you enjoy it do it. or if you need it for a job. that will give you a push to try hard in it. otherwise dont bother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgonia)
    Yay for pessimism! I'm in the same predicament although (thank goodness) I only have to get a B.

BLEH CHEMISTRY RUINS MY LIFE

My boyfriend is doing your course at Nottingham. AND he also got into Leicester. What a coinkidink?

ReputationRep:
    A* at GCSE, A at A' level. It' s a difficult A level, but to be honest, all of the traditional ones are.

ReputationRep:
    Its really hard and is deemed the hardest A-level, but thats why unis and companys love it, so its totally worth it imo. I'm doing my alevels now, and its my favourite subject .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh-H)
    I don't really enjoy it and therefore don't feel as motivated for it as maths and even physics to some degree.

It's not super hard (I'm doing OCR A) but there is a tonne to remember and it can be a bit overwhelming if you don't stay on top of it.
    yeah i agree. You have to like something to really pursue in it.
    The Smiths!

ReputationRep:
    im doing chemistry and phyics and maths, i think it will be hard.
    so far im getting A's in gcse

ReputationRep:
    It's an amazing subject imo. Not that i'm biased and doing it at uni or something...

I can't really sympathise with most people as it falls into place really easily for me, I guess some parts are quite hard though, you will need to put in some work at least, some of the theory is pretty wordy, but unlike Biology, you won't have to fend off shrews in an exam...ever.

I'd definitely take it

ReputationRep:
    It's honestly not that bad if you've got a decent teacher.
    The AQA syllabus is actually a little simplistic especially for the organic chemistry. I guess it'd have to be though because if you did expand it it could easily be an A level by itself

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I got an A at GCSE. I'm doing Edexcel AS Chemistry at the moment. I'm finding the concepts pretty easy, but the amount you have to just memorise/learn is phenomenal. But it just comes with practice, like, I have to revise the stuff I did in the week every weekend just to understand the classwork. I say give it a try and drop it if you don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    I got a C at GCSE, but an A at AS.... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I do chemistry
    I like chemistry very much
    your grades are fine
    but yes -- make sure you understand things well enough
    and if you take it to A2, make sure you like maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzyyazzy6)
    I hate chemistry. I'm going to fail tomorrow and not meet my uni offer. Chem is going to end my life.

Sorry for the pessimism
    Chin up, chicken! I have the exam tomorrow too for chemistry. Always June resits!

For the OP:
    I got an A for GCSE Chemistry (separate science), got an A last year (don't know how good an A it was) and I'm predicted an A (my teacher says I can get A* in it though). Also, I NEED an A to get into uni. And it's tomorrow. And I'm pulling an all-nighter. The content is fine, I just haven't had a chance to memorise it yet. Chemistry is my faaaavourite subject (shame I don't do any work?) I barely ever do homework (it's nearly always pointless mindmaps we get set) I just know how to revise, and I'm quick at picking things up in class (some people just sit there and are like "....*slack jaw* I don't get it". I don't agree with your aunt, I think you need a humanities subject as your fourth/fifth AS, Latin is a good idea but is apparently harder than chemistry, but with Maths and Physics you've already got superior subjects. But do ittt because chemists are love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Chin up, chicken! I have the exam tomorrow too for chemistry. Always June resits!
    Thank you =D
    Will get there in the end I suppose. Would do better in the summer tbf, I haven't been given any study leave for these exams so havent got as much work done as I could have.

ReputationRep:
    A* GCSE and im now in year thirteen and wish i hadnt taken it and physics i tool,chem,phys,bio.geo and hate chem and physics i got a B at as but A2 is a whole new deal, also the jump from gcse to A/A2 is SO F****** big i cant emphaseise that enough hence the aformentioned curse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.