Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Living at Home versus Living in halls (private halls probably) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wondering what to do...

i live 24 miles away from unis im most likely going to (in glasgow)

there is a bus that stops at strathclyde or the train from central station...
    and a train // subway trip straight to glasgow uni.

if im going to strathclyde i cant get into their halls so would have to opt for victoria birkbeck or unite halls...
    (ive been told their skanky with older and forgein students)

i was just wondering, what should i do? what are youre views on living away from home?

also, should mention,
    1. have no job atm, so no money saved up
    2. have a bowel disorder, so would like an ensuite or small ratio of people to bathroom...
    3. mum and dad would 'rather' i didnt get a huge loan...

i just dont no atm, what are the pros and cons of living at home or with others??? would i miss out on alot ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisVuitton43)
    Wondering what to do...

i live 24 miles away from unis im most likely going to (in glasgow)

there is a bus that stops at strathclyde or the train from central station...
    and a train // subway trip straight to glasgow uni.

if im going to strathclyde i cant get into their halls so would have to opt for victoria birkbeck or unite halls...
    (ive been told their skanky with older and forgein students)

i was just wondering, what should i do? what are youre views on living away from home?

also, should mention,
    1. have no job atm, so no money saved up
    2. have a bowel disorder, so would like an ensuite or small ratio of people to bathroom...
    3. mum and dad would 'rather' i didnt get a huge loan...

i just dont no atm, what are the pros and cons of living at home or with others??? would i miss out on alot ?

If you have already decided and are set on going to uni, then its not really up to your parents which loan you get because it will be down to you to pay it back when you are earning enough in a few years time.

I dont get why people get so hung up on these loans, they are the cheapest form of borrowing you will ever have the chance of , and they are essential for how you spend the next few years, and accomodation in all that IS important.

Now in answer to your question,

A lot of people will tell you, oh you MUST live away from home, to experience the whole party atmosphere.

well i say what i always say to this which is, the social aspect is a by product of university and not the other way round, so therefore, do not feel that you have to spend money on halls just so you wont be missing out, because trust me, you will be so busy at uni,. that you wont really have time to party anyway.

the thing is, that however you live your life at the moment is most probably going to be the way you live your social life in uni, so, if youre quiet and home-loving, thats not going to change at uni, and you will find that youre home in your halls quite a bit.

That said, its a good way to feel independant and self fulfilled when you are fully immersed in uni life by living away.

If you have a bowel problem, you must INSIST on a private ensuite,because the last thing you need is impatient flatmates banging on the door trying to hurry you up, or worse, you banging on the door, trying to get them out of the shower!

it is swings and roundabouts about the travel aspect, because it is a fair way to go each day, or 3 times a week whatever, and i do feel that you will feel more involved if you live in.

But maybe you dont need to feel that involved, and maybe you could arrange to go by train? i mean that way you wouldnt have to move away, but having said that, you would still probably get some maintenance loan, even if living at home, and although your parents dont want you to get more than you need, they need to think about the fact that if you dont get that loan, then they are going to have to feed and clothe you!

you should look into all the grants and bursaries you may qualify for

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boho Patch)
    If you have already decided and are set on going to uni, then its not really up to your parents which loan you get because it will be down to you to pay it back when you are earning enough in a few years time.

I dont get why people get so hung up on these loans, they are the cheapest form of borrowing you will ever have the chance of , and they are essential for how you spend the next few years, and accomodation in all that IS important.

Now in answer to your question,

A lot of people will tell you, oh you MUST live away from home, to experience the whole party atmosphere.

well i say what i always say to this which is, the social aspect is a by product of university and not the other way round, so therefore, do not feel that you have to spend money on halls just so you wont be missing out, because trust me, you will be so busy at uni,. that you wont really have time to party anyway.

the thing is, that however you live your life at the moment is most probably going to be the way you live your social life in uni, so, if youre quiet and home-loving, thats not going to change at uni, and you will find that youre home in your halls quite a bit.

That said, its a good way to feel independant and self fulfilled when you are fully immersed in uni life by living away.

If you have a bowel problem, you must INSIST on a private ensuite,because the last thing you need is impatient flatmates banging on the door trying to hurry you up, or worse, you banging on the door, trying to get them out of the shower!

it is swings and roundabouts about the travel aspect, because it is a fair way to go each day, or 3 times a week whatever, and i do feel that you will feel more involved if you live in.

But maybe you dont need to feel that involved, and maybe you could arrange to go by train? i mean that way you wouldnt have to move away, but having said that, you would still probably get some maintenance loan, even if living at home, and although your parents dont want you to get more than you need, they need to think about the fact that if you dont get that loan, then they are going to have to feed and clothe you!

you should look into all the grants and bursaries you may qualify for

good luck

i dont know, i was thinking about it,
    £4000 a year just to live away from home seems ALOT...
    and ive been told its better for my condition to be somewhere i consider home and safe, and that could take a while for me to feel at home in halls, ie. i could be quite ill for the first 6 months of first year....

what you said about my life at the moment will be my life at uni, well i dont no really, ive not been ill for long enough (just under a year), but i have been to less parties etc since becoming ill....

ive not heard anything about getting a bursary or grant, how would i go aout looking for this info...?

thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisVuitton43)
    i dont know, i was thinking about it,
    £4000 a year just to live away from home seems ALOT...
    and ive been told its better for my condition to be somewhere i consider home and safe, and that could take a while for me to feel at home in halls, ie. i could be quite ill for the first 6 months of first year....

what you said about my life at the moment will be my life at uni, well i dont no really, ive not been ill for long enough (just under a year), but i have been to less parties etc since becoming ill....

ive not heard anything about getting a bursary or grant, how would i go aout looking for this info...?

thanks for your reply.

no worries,

Yes it is a lot of money, and the bottom line is that you must be where you feel safe and happy and comfortable, and if that is at home, then great.

Thing is, you could ride it out at home this year, and next year you might feel more up for living away, or not, all that matters is that you are happy where you choose to be.
    Now regarding bursaries and stuff, the only thing which im not sure about is how things are run in Scotland, because it would appear to be different because of the fact you dont pay fees, so im not sure if university bursaries are available, you would have to check with your uni for that.

the maintenance grant which the local authority used to give is now dealt with by student finance and in england it is dependant on your family income, and is for lower income families, but you should apply for your student finance to be income assessed to see if you will qualify for a maintenance grant, that is assuming it applies in Scotland.

I`m sorry i cant be too accurate about this, its just that i dont want to mislead you if things in Scotland are different.
    You know, down in England we pay full fees, so i dont know whether thats why we get bursaries and grants, but if you check with your uni and with student finance its definately worth applying for, because theyre worth quite a bit if you qualify.

Oh you might want to look into applying for disabled student allowance, if you feel that your condition is disabling, bcause that is something which is there to help you through difficulty caused by a medical condition, and is a really good means of support if you can get it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.