Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I had applied to Exeter University with the hopes of actually going there, i.e. my top choice! But I sadly just received a rejection via UCAS due to my not meeting their entry requirements.
    The course was Economics BA (L100) and their entry requirements are GCSE Maths A and English B with a typical AAA-AAB offer given.
    My GCSE Maths was B and English B/C.
    However! I am doing A Levels in Maths and English (and Economics), and I am predicted AAB/ABB.
    I feel like my low achieving GCSE grades are stopping me from going to an amazing university, and it was due to personal reasons that I didn't perform well in my GCSE's.
    For what its worth, I was in the Governments Gifted and Talented scheme which hints that I should be a high achiever.
    I don't know what to do, I really honestly believe that I can get AAB, and the fact that I missed their Maths/Eng GCSE grades should surely cancel out by my getting an A or B at A Level?
    I really don't know what to do! This sucks!:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakina101)
    So I had applied to Exeter University with the hopes of actually going there, i.e. my top choice! But I sadly just received a rejection via UCAS due to my not meeting their entry requirements.
    The course was Economics BA (L100) and their entry requirements are GCSE Maths A and English B with a typical AAA-AAB offer given.
    However! I am doing A Levels in Maths and English (and Economics), and I am predicted AAB/ABB.
    I feel like my low achieving GCSE grades are stopping me from going to an amazing university, and it was due to personal reasons that I didn't perform well in my GCSE's.
    For what its worth, I was in the Governments Gifted and Talented scheme which hints that I should be a high achiever.
    I don't know what to do, I really honestly believe that I can get AAB, and the fact that I missed their Maths/Eng GCSE grades should surely cancel out by my getting an A or B at A Level?
    Unfortunately it is not uncommon for universities to filter out applicants based on criteria such as GCSE grades very early on. Universities receive a lot of applications and a stringent requirement on grades such as this is an easy way for them to narrow it down when there is a high level of competition for places. It is unlikely that having enforced this policy that they will change their mind, and so it is very hard to appeal against a rejection. What alternatives do you have, do you have offers elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    As I have highlighted, your A-Level grades are not up to the same standards as the offer, regardless of GCSEs. You can ask for feedback, but beware of a generic response. If it is because of your predicted grades and you've still got your heart set on Exeter, then get the grades (preferably AAA, since that's really their offer) and reapply. But next time, make sure your referee states why your GCSE results do not meet the criteria.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, you did not meet the requirements, as it clearly said what they wanted and you didn't get it....the fact you are doing it for A level is irrelavent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Unfortunately it is not uncommon for universities to filter out applicants based on criteria such as GCSE grades very early on. Universities receive a lot of applications and a stringent requirement on grades such as this is an easy way for them to narrow it down when there is a high level of competition for places. It is unlikely that having enforced this policy that they will change their mind, and so it is very hard to appeal against a rejection. What alternatives do you have, do you have offers elsewhere?
    I have offers with Sussex and Leicester, but Exeter is where I really wanted to go. Plus, is it fair to get rejected due to missing a GCSE grade, when I'm doing those same subjects at A Level, where I'm predicted high and promising grades?!:erm:

ReputationRep:
    I have offers with Sussex and Leicester, but Exeter is where I really wanted to go. Plus, is it fair to get rejected due to missing a GCSE grade, when I'm doing those same subjects at A Level, where I'm predicted high and promising grades?!:erm:
    It might not be fair, but they have to filter out applications somehow and one way of doing that is through a strict and unbending requirement on GCSE grades. The problem is that they may well have plenty of other applicants who have the same predicted grades as you, but who do have an A in GCSE maths, so you can see why they do it.

ReputationRep:
    university applications aren't supposed to be fair. They take the people they want for the reasons they want them and that's it really.

You could have 15 A* GCSEs 5A* A levels and amazing extra curriculars and they can still reject you because you misplaced an apostrophe in your personal statement or when you came to interview they didn't like your skirt/face.

it's not fair but that's life and there's nothing anyone can really do about it

ReputationRep:
    Email or call them and ask if you can get more info about why you were rejected first, because at the moment you're only guessing that is the reason you were rejected-but it seems unlikely that your GCSE maths and english grades would be taken into account that much when you're studying at A-level. If it turns out to be the case though, and they're not aware that personal problems had an impact on your GCSEs, they might be willing to take this into consideration and re-assess your application with new information?

Worth a shot, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    As I have highlighted, your A-Level grades are not up to the same standards as the offer, regardless of GCSEs. You can ask for feedback, but beware of a generic response. If it is because of your predicted grades and you've still got your heart set on Exeter, then get the grades (preferably AAA, since that's really their offer) and reapply. But next time, make sure your referee states why your GCSE results do not meet the criteria.
    What do you mean by re-applying?
    And, I feel really uncomfortable talking to my referee about my GCSE results, it was due to personal reasons i.e. depression from death of a parent, so I really don't feel comfortable going in to details to him about that..

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but they've got requirements and they expect you to meet them, i doubt that you'll get anywhere with your appeal but you might as well give it a go!

ReputationRep:
    You should've put something on your PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Email or call them and ask if you can get more info about why you were rejected first, because at the moment you're only guessing that is the reason you were rejected-but it seems unlikely that your GCSE maths and english grades would be taken into account that much when you're studying at A-level. If it turns out to be the case though, and they're not aware that personal problems had an impact on your GCSEs, they might be willing to take this into consideration and re-assess your application with new information?

Worth a shot, surely?
    Thank you! Do I email them through UCAS or do I find an email address on their website?? What kind of things do I write? I'm so confused!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    You should've put something on your PS.
    Well I put a line in my statement mentioning that I had personal issues that stopped me from achieving my potential at GCSE, but I didn't really want to make that the focal point of the statement, if you know what I mean.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by re-applying?
    And, I feel really uncomfortable talking to my referee about my GCSE results, it was due to personal reasons i.e. depression from death of a parent, so I really don't feel comfortable going in to details to him about that..
    Taking a year out and re-applying. I did, and now hold an unconditional offer for my top university last year. Does the university know at all about why the poor GCSE results? Because they do filter out applicants at GCSE level, and if they understand they will probably take it into account.

ReputationRep:
    Well I put a line in my statement mentioning that I had personal issues that stopped me from achieving my potential at GCSE, but I didn't really want to make that the focal point of the statement, if you know what I mean.:erm:
    I understand, my GCSEs weren't necessarily up to standard either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    Taking a year out and re-applying. I did, and now hold an unconditional offer for my top university last year. Does the university know at all about why the poor GCSE results? Because they do filter out applicants at GCSE level, and if they understand they will probably take it into account.
    Thanks for replying. I know this sounds confusing but..
    I was really depressed about my mum dying etc but then I decided that this wasn't how I wanted to live my life, so I re-took year 12 for a fresh start and to focus. So I don't think I can retake again. This really sucks, but I think I'm just going to have to take this as one of those hard lessons that life teaches!:erm:

ReputationRep:
    If they say they want an A in GCSE Maths then you need it to have a chance of getting a place. If you did not mention at all what these personal reasons were for getting a grade B at GCSE on your application how would they know there was a possible reason for not doing as well!? Even if you had a good reason there was probably a good chance you would be rejected anyway due to your predicted A Levels.

I would guess the grade A is to make sure the applicant is very capable in Maths as there could be a lot of maths in the course? A few years ago I was thinking of applying for Psychology and had the same problem with my grade C in Maths (a lot were asking for grade B) - the universities said it was not good enough basically as there were statistics in the degree...:no:

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, thousands and thousands of people will put a uni down in their top 5, and they need a way to decide who to give an offer to..

It sucks, but it's life, and we've all been through it.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter are giving out higher offers this year too, so if your course is AAA-AAB and you're not predicted AAA you'd probably get rejected on that basis alone.
    If you appealed on 'extenuating circumstances' they would reconsider you I'm sure. But Exeter are being picky this year it seems

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. I know this sounds confusing but..
    I was really depressed about my mum dying etc but then I decided that this wasn't how I wanted to live my life, so I re-took year 12 for a fresh start and to focus. So I don't think I can retake again. This really sucks, but I think I'm just going to have to take this as one of those hard lessons that life teaches!:erm:
    I completely understand. My best friend's mum died at the end of last year, and I myself suffered from depression. Unfortunately the university does not know the circumstances, and if you want you can try phoning/e-mailing them now and stating why. However, you have to still understand that the typical offer can be higher than what you're predicted, and Exeter usually attracts straight A students for Economics. I do not mean re-taking the year, just taking a year out. It's been the best thing that ever happened to me (i'm also applying for Eco), and I couldn't have coped with uni this year anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.